ACC Discussion 2021-22

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Will be interesting to see how Omicron impacts ACC schedule. For those vaccinated the symptoms seem to be mild but the infection rate, especially for younger unvaccinated people, has been ranging from R3 to R4 in other countries.

Wonder what the outcome for conference standings will be if the ACC has to cancel a bunch of games in January and February.
I want us to be careful we do not resurrect the 2020 debate about COVID. As mod who took some heat for warnings that year, I do not want us to stir that caldron again.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I don't want to see Pastner have to rock that face shield again. I'm crossing fingers in a big way.
You sure about that?

A look at recent GT basketball history
2011 - no face shield, no NCAAT
2012 - no face shield, no NCAAT
2013 - no face shield, no NCAAT
2014 - no face shield, no NCAAT
2015 - no face shield, no NCAAT
2016 - no face shield, no NCAAT
2017 - no face shield, no NCAAT
2018 - no face shield, no NCAAT
2019 - no face shield, no NCAAT
2020 - no face shield, no NCAAT
2021 - FACE SHIELD, NCAAT BERTH

slugboy

Staff member
You sure about that?

Maybe he could wear two this year?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
You sure about that?

I think Moses coming down from the mount with a great stat line helped a bit.

Face shield or not, it will a challenge this year to make the tourney.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I think Moses coming down from the mount with a great stat line helped a bit.

Face shield or not, it will a challenge this year to make the tourney.
1640124755659.png

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
If possible, games that cannot be played as scheduled will be rescheduled. If a game cannot be played and cannot be rescheduled, it will be considered a no contest.
For men’s and women’s basketball, a team must have a roster minimum of seven available student-athletes and one countable coach to play a game. If a team does not have the requisite number of participants, and elects not to play, the game shall be a no contest. If a team has the requisite number of participants and does not participate, the game will be declared a forfeit. This policy shall be retroactive to any results beginning with the 2021 ACC winter sports schedule.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Louisville has Williams back and they looked good against Wake tonight.

Prediction: Carter Whitt could be an end of season transfer. He looks unhappy

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Louisville has Williams back and they looked good against Wake tonight.

Prediction: Carter Whitt could be an end of season transfer. He looks unhappy
He should be unhappy with himself. I haven't seen anything in his time at Wake that shows he is a Power 5 type player.....or a good mid major one for that matter.

William S. Baker

Georgia Tech Fan
He should be unhappy with himself. I haven't seen anything in his time at Wake that shows he is a Power 5 type player.....or a good mid major one for that matter.
The first couple of games he played in were really good but he has dropped off. Put him in the point guard drills and disciplined Offense and Defense like ours and he might shine as a star.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Whitt's problem is his shooting. He wasn't a good shooter in high school and it got worse last year. This year it's gone south. He is a dogged defender and has a nice floor game, but college basketball in the Stephen Curry era is about making shots. He needs a shooting coach badly.

William S. Baker

Georgia Tech Fan
Whitt's problem is his shooting. He wasn't a good shooter in high school and it got worse last year. This year it's gone south. He is a dogged defender and has a nice floor game, but college basketball in the Stephen Curry era is about making shots. He needs a shooting coach badly.
Really good point. If you can’t shoot, you are very limited.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Yep - that is his major issue. He has above average handles and elite vision but unless he is open court it is hard to really utilize that. The other thing I expected to see was a lot more physical development - stronger and more explosive. Looks same as last year. The upside for him is this really is his freshman year - last year he was playing in what was his senior year in HS. So he has a lot of room to still improve.