ACC Discussion 2020

Deleted member 2897

Sign stealing is a grey area. As others have said, if you watch game film and can try and figure out the plays they're calling, or tendencies, or whatever, more power to you. But yea, if you start recording and using advanced technology like that, it would be a poor look. What's more likely is that Clemson has so much money to spend that they have armies of analysts working on it. If you ever count the khaki pants on the sideline, they routinely have 70-80 staff members. Its just insane. In my opinion its not so much about are they cheating or not, but rather its about the amount of money and resources and the lengths they're willing to go to in order to win games. Its really incredible. I'm sure the fans are proud of their team, but at some point you also just have to be embarrassed about what they spend to win a game.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Yes, Lee, in one very short statement, you have basically said why our country is not headed in a direction I wish. I weep for my grandkids, because I don't believe it is "sometimes" with our leaders much more.
Don’t know why you would have that reaction. People have been stealing signs in baseball as long as there have been signs. We did it in high school in the 70s. They did it in the early 1900s at least. Have we been headed in the wrong direction since then? Why do you think there is an indicator to show real sign from the fake and why do teams constantly change their signs? As others have said just don’t use technology in the moment.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Don’t know why you would have that reaction. People have been stealing signs in baseball as long as there have been signs. We did it in high school in the 70s. They did it in the early 1900s at least. Have we been headed in the wrong direction since then? Why do you think there is an indicator to show real sign from the fake and why do teams constantly change their signs? As others have said just don’t use technology in the moment.
You obviously did not see the quote I highlighted in Lee's original post - nothing to do with stealing signs. Here it is:

Sometimes money and fame are more important than integrity in our society now. It’s sad but true.

And, I believe in my nearly 58 years of life, I have never seen my country with more of its "leaders" that do exactly this.

Last edited:

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think that’s unique to our society or to the times. It’s pretty much always been true hasn’t it?
Not to the level it is right now - at least, that is my take. I believe we have never had less integrity or more selfishness in our leadership than today. But, you are free to believe differently.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Not to the level it is right now - at least, that is my take. I believe we have never had less integrity or more selfishness in our leadership than today. But, you are free to believe differently.
I just think we see it now because of media that’s available to us.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
If you can pick up signs in real-time without the aid of technology, go for it. Picking signs is a skill that some people are just really good at. Just like in baseball. If you’ve got cameras trained on the signal callers and extra staff members studying the film in order to get signals, that’s crossing the line and should be stopped. However, if you have people study film prior to the game, that’s also fair. Teams should be able to change up their signals from week to week, and if you don’t and they get stolen, that’s on you. It’s just unfortunate that Clemson has waaayyyy more staff members than almost anybody else in the ACC, so they’ve got more disposable time to look in sign stealing. There’s much less staff disparity at the CFP level though, so it should be a non-issue.
I have seen comments by other coaches that, "We all do it." As for technology, a dozen Houston players should have been banned. Bob Gibson once had a remedy for opponents trying to steal his catcher's signs: if he caught a batter looking back, stick one in his ear hole.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Clemson not looking very good. Every great fall starts with a stumble.

We did. $$$. But new commish should give them an ultimatum, all sports or no sports.
Ok... I'll play along. What will ND say to the ultimatum?

What if they say "see ya... & we aren't scheduling any regular season ACC FB games. Going forward.. we'll deal with the other P5 teams to fill our schedule"

ACC loses 5 guaranteed ACC v ND FB games per season & ND in conference for all other sports.

I don't "like" it either... but it's cutting your nose off to spite your face.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer

What if they say "see ya... & we aren't scheduling any regular season ACC FB games. Going forward.. we'll deal with the other P5 teams to fill our schedule"

ACC loses 5 guaranteed ACC v ND FB games per season & ND in conference for all other sports.

That would be fine. Part of the reason they have leverage is because we allow it. We can deal with one less team in other sports because we dealt with a lot less for years prior. We can find other teams to schedule OOC. Then maybe we can play it in our stadium instead of the Benz.

This isn’t your daddy’s Notre dame, and they need to be in or out imo. Tech tried the one foot in and one out and it’s dumb. I would welcome them with open arms if they wanted to be a full member since we have already butchered the round robin in FB and home/away series in basketball.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Clemson not looking very good. Every great fall starts with a stumble.

We did. $$$. But new commish should give them an ultimatum, all sports or no sports.
The new commissioner has a relationship with ND. IF anyone can get ND to join as a full-time member, it's going to be JP. He was an AAD there, so he knows the culture and money players. He, more than most, will know the cards to play to make it happen, and whether it's even feasible to happen. I'm not sure it is.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer

I think you mean spider face.

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
Clemson’s secondary looked lost the entire game. What an embarrassing performance for the Clemson defense.
Yep. Their “stud” corner #1 got absolutely abused. And not sure I ever saw a safety near the ball; reminded me of GT.

They definitely Didn’t have any alpha guys on D this year like in year past with Simmons, Terrell, Wilkins, Lawrence etc