ACC Discussion 2020

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
You guys b**ching about Notre Dame realize that regardless of whether or not they join full time, their membership this year is beneficial to the ACC this year. The ACC and it’s members got part of their NBC deal, and they’ll get even more for their CFP appearance. Clemson beating Notre Dame on Saturday is actually the best case scenario for everybody in the conference, because it puts 2 ACC teams in the CFP, and everybody benefits because of it. How does the ACC look like chumps? If anything Notre Dame looks like chumps, because the rest of the ACC is profiting off of them when they value their independence so much. They’re basically giving Tech and the rest of the ACC free money.

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
Just a drive-by year at Duke with the QB whisperer...

This is honestly a bad look for Chase Bryce if you ask me. He left Clemson to get play time, that is understandable no doubt, but then to turn around and leave another school, during a COVID year, just because they sucked? It makes you look petty in my opinion.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
You guys b**ching about Notre Dame realize that regardless of whether or not they join full time, their membership this year is beneficial to the ACC this year. The ACC and it’s members got part of their NBC deal, and they’ll get even more for their CFP appearance. Clemson beating Notre Dame on Saturday is actually the best case scenario for everybody in the conference, because it puts 2 ACC teams in the CFP, and everybody benefits because of it. How does the ACC look like chumps? If anything Notre Dame looks like chumps, because the rest of the ACC is profiting off of them when they value their independence so much. They’re basically giving Tech and the rest of the ACC free money.
You might be confusing some people with facts if it does not fit a narrative to their liking. 😉

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
When ND gets frozen out of the playoffs because they didn’t have that extra win from playing in and winning a Conf. Championship Game, that is the day they will be looking to join
Should have been this year.
How could it have played out that way this year? @UgaBlows is correct... but I don't see how it could have been that way this year. IF ND goes undefeated (any year), they will get in the playoff. Deservedly so... they typically schedule & play 12 (11 min) FBS teams a season. So... they match or exceed FBS teams played by every other P5 school in regular season.

His scenario is that year they are 11-1 & done with regular season & no hope to help themselves by playing & winning a conference championship game. 10 other P5 teams (5 ultimate conf champs) WILL have that chance. This could happen & when it does.... that 11-1 ND team will wish they were playing that extra game.

...but in 2020, I see no way ND gets in that position... they'd either be where they are now OR having negotiated to play a handful of games (maybe)... & that latter scenario I doubt would sway them into thinking they need to join a conference. They have a good thing going... the ACC doesn't have the leverage to "stick it to them"... they just don't.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think ND loves being independent. In their hearts, ND is still the #1 football program in the country and no conference can make them better than #1. But, I wonder if NBC will sign on to another big payday for ND games when their opponents are not significant players nationally. The ACC got a good deal this year by letting ND taste the conference and it has helped ND. They would not be in the CFP without the ACC this year.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
You guys b**ching about Notre Dame realize that regardless of whether or not they join full time, their membership this year is beneficial to the ACC this year. The ACC and it’s members got part of their NBC deal, and they’ll get even more for their CFP appearance. Clemson beating Notre Dame on Saturday is actually the best case scenario for everybody in the conference, because it puts 2 ACC teams in the CFP, and everybody benefits because of it. How does the ACC look like chumps? If anything Notre Dame looks like chumps, because the rest of the ACC is profiting off of them wI hen they value their independence so much. They’re basically giving Tech and the rest of the ACC free money.
I think we need the money - what do you think?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Another thing. I wonder if ND will ever have three or four B1G games on their schedule again. With nine conference games, most B1G teams are not going to schedule ND as one of their OOC games unless they believe it will be a big payday. Those are ND's traditional rivals and that era seems to have passed. Stanford and Navy and USC are not going to cut it out beyond 2021 like they did a few years ago.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
If ND didn't join the ACC this year, they wouldn't have had any games. All the conferences, except for the +1 in the ACC and the AAC, were Conference-Only. If they picked up the ACC games, they would have all been Away games because the stipulation was that the games had to be played in the home state of the ACC team, i.e. all Away games for ND.

So, there was a HUGE incentive for ND to be the ACC this year in football. I don't know if they would have played this season if forced to join in perpetuity, but it would have been interesting to have been in those negotiations.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
If ND didn't join the ACC this year, they wouldn't have had any games. All the conferences, except for the +1 in the ACC and the AAC, were Conference-Only. If they picked up the ACC games, they would have all been Away games because the stipulation was that the games had to be played in the home state of the ACC team, i.e. all Away games for ND.

So, there was a HUGE incentive for ND to be the ACC this year in football. I don't know if they would have played this season if forced to join in perpetuity, but it would have been interesting to have been in those negotiations.
Here is how those negotiations would have gone...

ACC: Hey ND, looks like the only way for you to play FB this year is to 'join' the conference and play a full ACC schedule.
ND: Awesome... where do we sign up?
ACC: We got you. You'll be subject to a 10 (+1) schedule and eligible for the ACC championship game.
ND: Perfect.. anything else?
ACC: Oh yeah... you need to become a permanent member of the ACC going forward. No more of this "independent in football" crap. OK?
ND: No... we aren't doing that. This will be for 2020 only.
ACC: OK. We had to ask. Sign right here. [under breath with fist pump... Chaaaa Ching!!]

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
When ND gets frozen out of the playoffs because they didn’t have that extra win from playing in and winning a Conf. Championship Game, that is the day they will be looking to join
That excuse will never work again after Ohio State and their 6-0 record jumps ahead of aTm and their 9-1 record.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
That excuse will never work again after Ohio State and their 6-0 record jumps ahead of aTm and their 9-1 record.

Huh? If anything that works the opposite direction. OSU winning a conference championship game getting them in over a team who didnt play in one.

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
OSU winning a conference championship game getting them in over a team who didnt play in one.
You are both wrong. The committee will put whoever they know will bring in the most money into the playoffs.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
You are both wrong. The committee will put whoever they know will bring in the most money into the playoffs.
Which is usually the 4 for best teams... or at least, 4 of the best teams. Folks get so bitter about the 'process' when the process usually produces a playoff of 4 with NONE of the 4 being an crazy choice. The problem is 4 isn't enough to prevent arguments over record, strength of record, when wins happened (and by how much)... and on and on. I would like an 8 team playoff; but that isn't what we have. But what we do have isn't a committee with accounting spreadsheets and calculators trying to determine which 4 teams produce the most revenue... that part is easy because whoever they pick (within reason) will produce a TON of revenue. And looking back... the field is always within reason. The one year (2017) I am most irritated about is when Alabama got in and they weren't even the SEC champ...weren't even SEC runner-up. But what did they do... they won the National Championship. It is hard to say they don't belong when you win it all.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
ND is really good this year and probably deserves to be in the CFP. If you look back on the recent past, they have been in the mix a lot of years. But their SOS is going to suffer if they cannot get more games against better teams. Would anyone think they were a top four team this year, even with a perfect record, without the win over Clemson?

OTOH, I think there is a scenario this year where they miss out. What if Clemson beats them by four or five TDs in the ACCCG? That win back on Nov 7 with Lawrence in quarantine suddenly doesn't look so good. The rest of the ND schedule is nothing special. And there sits Texas A&M and Bama and Clemson and Ohio State. That is not a far fetched scenario.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
There is another question in my mind, is NBC itself even a major player in viewership 5 years from now, I personally think it is a valid question. ND people may be recognizing that as a possibility. The NBC money may not be there, they may see the need to take action before it happens. NBC sees what is happening and may be very open to some sort of deal also.

Last edited:

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
There is another question in my mind, is NBC itself even a major player in viewership 5 years from now, I personally think it is a valid question. ND people may be recognizing that as a possibility. The NBC money may not be there, they may see the need to take action before it happens. NBC sees what is happening and may be very open to some sort of deal also.
Is CFB viable in five years? Another year like this and I don’t see how teams can make it financially.