ACC Discussion 2020

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Why are these sportswriter's so high on North Carolina? I get it, the ACC doesn't have a lot to offer in the Coastal. But, the Tar Heels? I think Miami and VT will be better than UNC. I just don't get where this praise is coming from. I don't know... This year is going to be weird. All it takes is a few players contracting COVID and the best teams, become average. So, really hard to say how this season goes.
They already had good athletes but were struggling at QB until Howell came in last year. They had a couple of last minute scores to pull out games early that they would have lost in the past. Howell is a good player and was better than most figured early. Mack flipped him from an earlier commitment. May have been FSU . He was the biggest difference last year. Surratt was not much at QB but has become a very good LB.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
It’s not. The Coastal was by far the worst division in P5 last year. I never said they could’ve competed for the division title, but they would’ve had a chance at a .500 record. If UAB played the same schedule GT did last year, they end up with at least 3 wins as well, maybe more.
Agree to disagree. UAB is on par with Georgia Southern and Appalachian State. They might beat a P5 team every once in a while, but that's because it's their marquis game and the P5 team overlooked them. If GT had played UAB's schedule last year with the team they had, GT would have had a better record. UAB does not have the talent or the size GT had last year. GT would UAB 49 of 50 times if they played last year.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Did you watch the game?! If they don’t keep making stupid procedural penalties, they could have won that game. They largely kept King in check who was being named as a dark horse Heisman candidate. It was a 3 point game in the middle of the 3rd. Miami’s depth is what won that game, not their top end talent. Those teams play 10 times, UAB wins at least 4.
Look at my comment to others. 9 of 10 times this game is played, Miami blows them out. 1 of 10 times UAB plays it close because it's their marquis game and Miami was looking past them.

slugboy

Staff member
Syracuse is down 3-7, but gamely trying to upset UNC. The TarHeels are not looking like the juggernaut on offense that people expected.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
We all know that the narrative will be "Wow! Syracuse is really good on defense! Look what they did to the juggernaut UNC offense!"

I was looking at some land in NC this past week, but I don't think I could stand all the Tarholes.

Seriously though, it's a real sloppy game. It seems that UNC keeps making bonehead mistakes to keep The Orange in it.

slugboy

Staff member
Syracuse moves the ball, but can’t get in the end zone. Down 6-7.
Miami thumped UAB 31-14 on Thursday.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
We all know that the narrative will be "Wow! Syracuse is really good on defense! Look what they did to the juggernaut UNC offense!"

I was looking at some land in NC this past week, but I don't think I could stand all the Tarholes.

Seriously though, it's a real sloppy game. It seems that UNC keeps making bonehead mistakes to keep The Orange in it.
Depends on what preconceived narrative one has prior to watching the game.

If anyone watched this game in a vacuum, they'd notice the unforced mistakes Syracuse is making as well that have directly taken 17 points of the board...
  1. Cuse Penalty/Blindside block on punt return TD called back (block did not affect outcome of the play)
  2. Catchable pass right through the hands of the wide open receiver in the end zone on another drive
  3. Missed 29 yd FG by a Lou Groza kicker at the end of the half
Cuse could be up 2-3 scores if not for their own mistakes that had nothing to do with NC.

Special teams have been absolutely "special" for both teams.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Cuse could be up 2-3 scores if not for their own mistakes that had nothing to do with NC.

Special teams have been absolutely "special" for both teams.

Fair enough. I just get the feeling watching the game that UNC should be able to win this game going away based on the infamous, and quite questionable, 'eye-ball test'. :)

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Fair enough. I just get the feeling watching the game that UNC should be able to win this game going away by the infamous, and quite questionable, 'eye-ball test'. :)
I agree with you. North Carolina is moving the ball better overall. Syracuse has had enough opportunities to take command early prior to the likely weardown due to lack of depth, but they didn't and are now paying for it.

slugboy

Staff member
Duke’s moving the ball against Notre Dame right now, and just drew first blood with a field goal. UNC is up 31-6 in the 4th, after what looked like a game they should be losing.

Is there a theme of favorites starting slow today?

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Duke vs ND is a one score game in the fourth. Playing your first game of the year in a lot of rain (and on turf) can't be easy.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Posted on the Syracuse board by a North Carolina fan..
Florida St clearly still has team dissension. It likely will ruin the season. Norvell may have to run off a dozen or so players before Spring to get the team attitude right to save the 2021 season.

That said, GT looks ready to roll. The team seems be on one page, and it has adjusted to the post-Paul Johnson era. Now I'm glad UNC misses GT this year.

Jacoooooob

Jolly Good Fellow
Just typical UNC favoritism in the ACC. Swofford did not want his boys to face the wishbone and that QB duck
Given 5hat there rival is still in conference and ours is out, I think they prioritzed NC State so we’ll still have some rivalries be8ng played this year.

slugboy

Staff member
Just typical UNC favoritism in the ACC. Swofford did not want his boys to face the wishbone and that QB duck
The RTP schools did seem to get easier schedules. Here's the ESPN view: https://www.espn.com/college-football/fpi/_/view/resume/group/1/sort/resume.sosremainingrank/dir/asc
  1. Pitt (overall #11 remaining schedule)
  2. Miami (#16)
  3. GT (#17)
  4. FSU (#19)
  5. Notre Dame (#22)
  6. Syracuse (#24)
  7. Louisville (#28)
  8. Clemson (#29)
  9. Wake Forest (#32)
  10. UNC (#34)
  11. BC (#35)
  12. UVa (#38)
  13. VT (#42)
  14. Duke (#43)
  15. NCST (#56)
I've seen other views that put UNC on the bottom. I think even the average fan of even UNC would say they got off easy this year.