ACC Discussion 2020

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think the protocol is 2 PCR tests with one at least 72 hours before the game and a rapid test on Friday. What I can’t find is what happens if the Friday result isn’t back on Friday. So evidently the kid was negative on the PCR, which is more accurate on Wednesday.

saw a note elsewhere that there is some talk about doing the rapid tests on Thursday. Assuming this was the reason for our delay at Syracuse.

FWIW not that it excuses our lack of performance, but can’t help but think that with the makeup of our team this year that delay hurt significantly. Young team sitting around for 30 minutes not knowing if the game was going to be played or not had to hurt.
The ACC protocol for COVID is one PCR test within three days before competition and one test the day before and another 48 hours after competition. Most of the teams are doing a rapid test on Monday, the PCR test on Wednesday, followed by a rapid test on Friday. If the athlete is positive for any of the three tests must be withheld from competition for ten days. I believe the possibility for negative retests after the 48 hour test would allow the athlete to continue, but I am not certain.

The issue is the contact tracing protocol. The ACC says that any player identified in contact tracing must be quarantined for 14 days before returning to competition or practice. Since the Clemson player who tested positive on Friday traveled with the team, and presumably practiced with the team on Wednesday and Thursday, FSU was more concerned about other Clemson players being infected but not yet testing positive on Friday morning. I think that is a reasonable concern. I can also believe Clemson's reply is reasonable. But the ACC protocol states that Clemson probably should have quarantined a bunch of players. Clemson said other players did not have close contact with the infected player after his positive test. I think FSU doctors felt he was positive before the Friday test.

Deleted member 2897

The ACC protocol for COVID is one PCR test within three days before competition and one test the day before and another 48 hours after competition. Most of the teams are doing a rapid test on Monday, the PCR test on Wednesday, followed by a rapid test on Friday. If the athlete is positive for any of the three tests must be withheld from competition for ten days. I believe the possibility for negative retests after the 48 hour test would allow the athlete to continue, but I am not certain.

The issue is the contact tracing protocol. The ACC says that any player identified in contact tracing must be quarantined for 14 days before returning to competition or practice. Since the Clemson player who tested positive on Friday traveled with the team, and presumably practiced with the team on Wednesday and Thursday, FSU was more concerned about other Clemson players being infected but not yet testing positive on Friday morning. I think that is a reasonable concern. I can also believe Clemson's reply is reasonable. But the ACC protocol states that Clemson probably should have quarantined a bunch of players. Clemson said other players did not have close contact with the infected player after his positive test. I think FSU doctors felt he was positive before the Friday test.

And those protocols allow for plenty of time. If someone doesn’t have a test result back in time, they shouldn’t travel. It should be really simple you’d think.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Who will be the next ACC commissioner. Let's all hope it's not the UNC mob again. What to do about ND football. Time to get them into reality. Should have done it this year but Swafford is a wimp.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
**** Dabo. The guy has turned into an arrogant pile of ****. I could care less if Clemson loses and is left out of the playoffs every year. The clown deserves it!

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck
I really don't understand Dabo's angle here. I know he's upset that they prepped and traveled and incurred all those expenses only to spend extra time in their luxurious hotel rooms. I understand he offered to continue testing and play the game a day or two later. I know he's concerned that all these weeks off are hurting his playoff chances and Lawrence's Heisman chances. I get all that.

But can't he at least try to understand FSU's side instead of hammering them in the media every chance he gets? He had a symptomatic player practicing. He tested him like everyone else and he came back negative. He tested everyone again and then loaded them all on the plane. After arriving (at some point) they find out the kid was in fact positive. Do they really expect me to believe that the thought never crossed their mind that they may not be able to play after everyone was on a plane with a positive player?

And to keep going back to "we were there, we were ready, we followed the protocols" just comes across as petty and douchey. Not typical for a guy that likes to sale the "good Christian man" persona. It feels like there should be something in the protocols about the travelling team needing to test with enough time to have results before they get no the plane. Feels like a gap in the protocols that the ACC should close although I guess that doesn't matter at this point in the season.

And aren't the protocols in place to set up guidelines for what you must do if you don't want to have the game cancelled? They aren't rules in place that say "if you do all these things, you have to play." At some point there has to be some flexibility for where it feels safe of feels like the right thing to do for the players.

He must have nice CFP and NC bonuses in that contract. Seems like he thinks he really needs to be able to embarrass FSU for some reason.

Milwaukee

Banned
I love these ridiculous sports articles:

“The idea of playing in 2020 was to preserve the season and keep players safe, not necessarily to count the wins and losses. The Bible tells us to turn the other cheek when we are persecuted. Dabo not only didn't turn, he's been on the attack for three days.”

😂 😂 😂

Carolina gets a 3 & out then marches right down the field. 7-0. Their offense is scary talented.
Fedora might have been a crappy game day Coach, but he was a decent Recruiter

Easy to recover quickly from a bad Gm Day Coach, but it take years to recover from a less than ideal Recruiter

UNCs OLine is good enough to get stalemates, when you do that, your talented skill positions have a puncher's chance

Mack didn't Rebuild the OLine in 2 Recruiting Classes, so Fedora at least did 1 thing right, just so happens that 1 thing is the most important thing

Instead of always be closing, in CFB the saying is always be Recrootin'

slugboy

Staff member
add Notre Dame permanently and pick up UCF. UCF is a great basketball program too.
I think Cincy is more likely than UCF, but still not very likely, and is semi-regional with Notre Dame and Louisville. Finding a sixteenth academic fit is not easy.

Just called targeting on Notre Dame and it looks like it’s going to stand—it checks all the boxes, but I don’t think it was intentional.

I missed a bunch of this game putting up Christmas lights. {I’m OK with that, too, but it’s a great game}

Milwaukee

Banned
Yea he’s gone. And him being out changes their ENTIRE defense. He’s the most talented defender they have and only a SOPH.

The game now changes entirely for both teams based off that single play.

Notice when ND's Defense gets torched, they bring the heat ala Tenuta, they refuse to just sit back and do nothing and get gashed up & down the Field

We can't do that, because we can't blitz, how can a Pwr5 Team lack enough Talent to effectively Blitz the opposing QB?

My bad, the reason we can't Blitz is our HC didn't teach them how and of course he forgets to call Blitzes in the Games, because that requires Genuis Play-Calling which we obviously lack

If Mack doesn't flip their QB last yr, he signs with FSU , likely starts, and Taggart is still the HC, this is why Recruiting is so important, you never know which 1 Recruit will save your Job

These are just random thoughts from not having amy GT FB to analyze in a month

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
Notice when ND's Defense gets torched, they bring the heat ala Tenuta, they refuse to just sit back and do nothing and get gashed up & down the Field

We can't do that, because we can't blitz, how can a Pwr5 Team lack enough Talent to effectively Blitz the opposing QB?

My bad, the reason we can't Blitz is our HC didn't teach them how and of course he forgets to call Blitzes in the Games, because that requires Genuis Play-Calling which we obviously lack

If Mack doesn't flip their QB last yr, he signs with FSU , likely starts, and Taggart is still the HC, this is why Recruiting is so important, you never know which 1 Recruit will save your Job

These are just random thoughts from not having amy GT FB to analyze in a month
Dont Be So Dramatic Kim Kardashian GIF

slugboy

Staff member
My favorite play of the first half was a run blitz by UNC. The mike linebacker hit the line about at the snap, got picked up by the guard, who outweighed him by about 70 pounds, shed the block, and made a tackle in the backfield.
It showed decisiveness, speed, determination, and tackling fundamentals.