ACC Coaches Talk Anonymously About Conference Foes for 2021

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
I actually heard Bear Bryant talking about preseason magazines and coaches' polls say that he always delegated that chore to the SID for the simple reason that he did not have the time nor inclination to keep up with teams other than his own and who the Tide was going to play. Can't say I blame him.
I wouldn’t listen to a guy who stole music scholarships to bolster his team #s. Heck, the scholarship number rules were changed because of some of his actions.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn’t listen to a guy who stole music scholarships to bolster his team #s. Heck, the scholarship number rules were changed because of some of his actions.
The Bear got away with whatever he could given the rules of the time, which he bent like a pretzel. I give Dodd credit for forcing the conversation about scholarships. The SEC had to change after that. It cost Tech dearly but that’s another story. Coach of the year is named after Dodd because of his integrity, looking out for student athletes, respecting the classroom, as well as his coaching.

ironmanfootball

Georgia Tech Fan
I would contend that UNCheat has a few distinct advantages unfortunately... 1) they're the NC equivalent of uGAg, which means they are able to pull in a lot of the top-tier NC talent even when the on field product underperforms. 2) Larger state-wide fan base with deep pockets. 3) A demonstrated willingness to short change their athletes' education for eligibility.

I was definitely surprised when they jumped something like 20 spots in the recruiting rankings after Brown was hired, even after fielding a 2-10 team the year before under Fedora, but it makes more sense when considering how many of their top recruits are from NC and were likely UNCheat fans growing up. That being said, I think as our on-field product begins to improve, we'll hopefully climb into the top 15 in recruiting
I'm in NC, holy crap people here LOVE MACK BROWN. Even the NCSU people love Brown. I had the chance to meet him at the coaching clinic they put on pre-COVID, but also do Zoom calls with him on there. Every time his AC did a Zoom, he was there to start it off and say hi. At the clinic on site, he was serving pizza and pouring you a beer. He's a likable guy.

goldfella

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm in NC, holy crap people here LOVE MACK BROWN. Even the NCSU people love Brown. I had the chance to meet him at the coaching clinic they put on pre-COVID, but also do Zoom calls with him on there. Every time his AC did a Zoom, he was there to start it off and say hi. At the clinic on site, he was serving pizza and pouring you a beer. He's a likable guy.
Where in NC? I'm currently at NCSU for grad school. I actually didn't know that about Brown, but I suppose it makes me dislike UNCheat a little less lol

ironmanfootball

Georgia Tech Fan
Where in NC? I'm currently at NCSU for grad school. I actually didn't know that about Brown, but I suppose it makes me dislike UNCheat a little less lol
Raleigh area. And yeah he was a cordial SOB and an all around hell of a politician. He didn't "big time" anyone there. I've been big timed before, or at least had guys present like they're the smartest guys in the room. The UNC staff isn't like that at all.

goldfella

Georgia Tech Fan
Raleigh area. And yeah he was a cordial SOB and an all around hell of a politician. He didn't "big time" anyone there. I've been big timed before, or at least had guys present like they're the smartest guys in the room. The UNC staff isn't like that at all.
Nice! Would be cool to meet up for a beer sometime and talk football. I don't know many Tech fans in these parts

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
They sure didn't like him when he left them for Texas.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I'd be extremely surprised if Satterfield was on the hot seat. He's only in his 3rd year as Louisville's coach and managed to win 8 games in his first year with Petrino's dumpster fire of a roster (which won like 2 games the previous year). Yeah, they regressed last year, but it was also a weird year in general
Didn't he get in hot water for interviewing for another job last year?

goldfella

Georgia Tech Fan
Didn't he get in hot water for interviewing for another job last year?
He did, though I don't know if it was an actual interview or just talking with SC. Definitely didn't look good, but he's still a great coach and they'd be stupid to let him go so soon

slugboy

Staff member
He interviewed after saying he wouldn’t

Then he apologized for doing that.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
With all the national championships he won, I would listen to him, music scholarships being stolen or not. He won everywhere he coached including Kentucky. I hated him too for what his brand of coaching and physical play did to Chick Granning but Dodd got him back for that the following year with the biggest upset of his career that knocked the Bear and Alabama right out of a national championship. Bryant complained after that game a Tech player ran by him and used the "filthiest language he ever heard on a football field" Well, he probably deserved it.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

It's a free country though if he did that to Louisville, they would be perfectly within their rights to fall back on the old adage: "If you are looking...we are too."

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Don't follow 24/7, but counting Notre Dame we were 12th in conference recruiting rank on Rivals. However, we had more 4 star signees than 6 of those teams, and the same number as FSU. The smaller class size hurt the ranking. Pitt was ranked 22nd with fewer 4 stars, but 7 more signees. Those 7 signees could wind up being 7 scrubs for them.
Or they could wind up being the next Aaron Donald or James Conner. Both were 3 stars

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
His job was to win football games. Someone else’s job was to watch over the music department. Sounds like he was better at his job than the music guy. At the end of each Saturday the only question that mattered was “did Bama win?”. Sounds like many on this board with their posts about rhetoric and Collins. At the end of the day all that matters is did we win. Collins will get zero credit from anyone if he does everything the “right way” and only wins 2 games. Y’all will be screaming for his head. Coaches have one job - to win. So you can’t have it both ways.

goldfella

Georgia Tech Fan

It's a free country though if he did that to Louisville, they would be perfectly within their rights to fall back on the old adage: "If you are looking...we are too."
Very true, though I feel like the comparison to Petrino in the article was a little unfair. Petrino left programs without informing anyone he even interviewed multiple times. It wasn't a great move by Satterfield, but he's still a pretty good guy and a very good coach.

goldfella

Georgia Tech Fan
Or they could wind up being the next Aaron Donald or James Conner. Both were 3 stars
Honestly same thing with our guys. There are plenty of cases where less recruited talent goes to a smaller school, performs well, and ultimately gets drafted with a successful professional career. Comes down to drive/desire to improve and development of their talent by the coaching staff.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Very true, though I feel like the comparison to Petrino in the article was a little unfair. Petrino left programs without informing anyone he even interviewed multiple times. It wasn't a great move by Satterfield, but he's still a pretty good guy and a very good coach.
That was the least of Petrino's damages to that program. Coach Satterfield walked into a situation that was far worse than he had been led to believe. I just wish we were playing them instead of say, Clemson or Notre Dame.