ACC Coaches Talk Anonymously About Conference Foes for 2021

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I would you would call at least 8 SEC teams GARBAGE teams:

The 5 SEC East teams outside of UGA & UF - 5
The Mississipis & Arkansas - 3

And now days you might throw in Auburn. Makes 9 GARBAGE TEAMS!
I don’t disagree, maybe throw in A&M as a pretty good team that seems on the rise too. But i don’t care about the sec, The point i am looking at is that the ACC is ripe for GT to make hay in when (hopefully) we get the team recruited with better talent, and a couple of Collins classes have become upperclassmen and 🤞 that the coaching is up to task. We should start winning a helluva lot of games. We have one dominant team in our conf., not 4-5.

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
"You would assume they’ll turn it over less than they did last year because they’re more experienced, but that really hurt them." I've looked at this quote like 5 times, and can't wrap my head around what is being hurt?

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I don’t disagree, maybe throw in A&M as a pretty good team that seems on the rise too. But i don’t care about the sec, The point i am looking at is that the ACC is ripe for GT to make hay in when (hopefully) we get the team recruited with better talent, and a couple of Collins classes have become upperclassmen and 🤞 that the coaching is up to task. We should start winning a helluva lot of games. We have one dominant team in our conf., not 4-5.
If that's your standard , then the sec has only AL and UGa.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I changed what you bolded to the relevant sentence for the gripe.
We need to get more top shelf talent to change that perception. First year we got it with Gibbs and Brooks. Since then the only Rivals top 250 player we have gotten is Jaron Willis this year and we may be in a battle to hang on to him. Several ACC and SEC teams are getting multiple to many of these guys every year. We need to start winning so we can jump into that game.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
It reminds me of the old Big 8... "Oklahoma and the Seven Dwarfs" Clemson is miles ahead of everyone else. Miami can't catch them, UNC can't, it is a one team show. As for Tech, we remain sort of middling to near the bottom according to these coaches, if you read between the lines but ahead of Duke, Syracuse and perhaps Louisville, NC State and Virginia Tech so its not all that bad. Coach Collins is nowhere near being on the hot seat that Satterfield at Louisville, Fuentes at Virginia Tech, and Cut is at Duke. Can't really find fault with these observations. The comments about the defense were the most disturbing. Two comments about "falling apart" and one about a "train wreck" which were pretty much how a lot of people saw it. It is a shame we are not playing Louisville, Syracuse and maybe NC State this year.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
What struck me was how many coaches see the whole conference as a train wreck. If my program is struggling I might be tempted to throw shade on a couple of other programs but almost every program except for Clemson and USC was getting thrown under the bus.

Worst teams by comments seemed to be:
Syracuse
Louisville
Duke
FSU
with a few teams marginally better like:
NC State
Wake Forest
Boston College
Ga Tech
That is pretty much spot on with emphasis on "marginal" for NC State. I thought though that the comments were pretty respectful of the job being done at BC and Wake. More and more, I appreciate how smart Jimbo Fisher was to leave FSU because it is a mess right now even with the talent they have.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
The ACC is decidedly top heavy at the moment with one dominant team, a couple of very good but not elite teams, a couple of talented but underachieving teams and then there is everyone else. The question is who is going to break away from the pack? It could be Tech or just about anyone. The article seems to be saying that BC is one team about to take a step forward and one magazine I read stated that they were the pick to be the "sleeper team" in the ACC this year FWIW.

ironmanfootball

Georgia Tech Fan
I think Godfrey from PAPN / Split Zone Duo did a lot of those coaching 2cents parts for Athlon. I doubt he made crap up. Coaches LOVE to talk.

Teams in the SP+ top 30 by Conf.
ACC 3
BigTen 7
Big12 4
Pac12 6
SEC 7
G5/Indy 3

The ACC sucks, and GT being 11th in the ACC in recruiting per 247 last year is bad too. You have to hope the staff has a better eye than 247 (who just goes off of offers), and can develop talent better than their opponents. Deployment only matters when teams have equal talent.

slugboy

Staff member
I think Godfrey from PAPN / Split Zone Duo did a lot of those coaching 2cents parts for Athlon. I doubt he made crap up. Coaches LOVE to talk.

Teams in the SP+ top 30 by Conf.
ACC 3
BigTen 7
Big12 4
Pac12 6
SEC 7
G5/Indy 3

The ACC sucks, and GT being 11th in the ACC in recruiting per 247 last year is bad too. You have to hope the staff has a better eye than 247 (who just goes off of offers), and can develop talent better than their opponents. Deployment only matters when teams have equal talent.
If it was Steven Godfrey, he's great.
COVID last year may have really hurt us more that other schools on the field and in traditional high school recruiting. For a couple of reasons, we went heavier in the transfer portal--and part was that we had a few positions where we needed someone now in positions like the OL. If you do that every year, you have the lack of continuity that Brian Gregory had in basketball where you're treading water. Do it well and you get players like Usher who seemed to help in visible and invisible ways with our basketball team.
If we'd gotten a mainly 4* class and gone heavy in the transfer market, I don't think you'd have heard that comment. We need to get in the same recruiting zone as UNC, which is where people expected us to be.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
If it was Steven Godfrey, he's great.
COVID last year may have really hurt us more that other schools on the field and in traditional high school recruiting. For a couple of reasons, we went heavier in the transfer portal--and part was that we had a few positions where we needed someone now in positions like the OL. If you do that every year, you have the lack of continuity that Brian Gregory had in basketball where you're treading water. Do it well and you get players like Usher who seemed to help in visible and invisible ways with our basketball team.
If we'd gotten a mainly 4* class and gone heavy in the transfer market, I don't think you'd have heard that comment. We need to get in the same recruiting zone as UNC, which is where people expected us to be.

This is spot on. I'd like to think we will approach UNCs recruiting level in the near future, but even consistent top 25 classes should drive momentum for us.

Also, funny thing about the recent rise in UGA and its winning...it came about during a period here with the decline in UF, Auburn, and Tennessee. Play 3 OOC wins, us, KY, SC, and Vandy. And the three aforementioned and that is10 wins right there.

Lets see what happens when Auburn and Florida come back.