ACC Coaches Talk Anonymously About Conference Foes for 2021

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
His job was to win football games. Someone else’s job was to watch over the music department. Sounds like he was better at his job than the music guy. At the end of each Saturday the only question that mattered was “did Bama win?”. Sounds like many on this board with their posts about rhetoric and Collins. At the end of the day all that matters is did we win. Collins will get zero credit from anyone if he does everything the “right way” and only wins 2 games. Y’all will be screaming for his head. Coaches have one job - to win. So you can’t have it both ways.
Yea, that’s what Joe Pop probably used in his defense (I was just responsible for winning games). Compliance should have been on this. Obviously I did a better job than them! Amazing how winning can twist integrity.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
His job was to win football games. Someone else’s job was to watch over the music department. Sounds like he was better at his job than the music guy. At the end of each Saturday the only question that mattered was “did Bama win?”. Sounds like many on this board with their posts about rhetoric and Collins. At the end of the day all that matters is did we win. Collins will get zero credit from anyone if he does everything the “right way” and only wins 2 games. Y’all will be screaming for his head. Coaches have one job - to win. So you can’t have it both ways.
Is there no level at which you would say a coach has gone too far? What if a coach hires someone to murder the family of the opposing quarterback the week before the game? Is that OK because he did it in order to have a better chance to win? What if a coach gets a scrub player to intentionally injure the legs of a Heisman candidate receiver on the other team? (That is from an episode of Coach) Is that acceptable if the team wins?

I think with the above examples, you would have to agree that winning isn't "all that matters". The debate isn't whether a coach can go too far or not, it is only where the line of too far is. You might want coaches to push the line farther than other people on this forum. However, I seriously doubt you would be OK with pushing the line as far as murder or intentional maiming.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Is there no level at which you would say a coach has gone too far? What if a coach hires someone to murder the family of the opposing quarterback the week before the game? Is that OK because he did it in order to have a better chance to win? What if a coach gets a scrub player to intentionally injure the legs of a Heisman candidate receiver on the other team? (That is from an episode of Coach) Is that acceptable if the team wins?

I think with the above examples, you would have to agree that winning isn't "all that matters". The debate isn't whether a coach can go too far or not, it is only where the line of too far is. You might want coaches to push the line farther than other people on this forum. However, I seriously doubt you would be OK with pushing the line as far as murder or intentional maiming.
Just ridiculous. If Collins doesn’t win on Saturdays, no matter how much integrity he has or how many right things he does in private won’t keep fans like you from piling on him. You guys want the impossible - a coach who does everything right and wins. That doesn’t happen. Do you not read message boards? Every time a winning coach from another team is brought up everyone jumps on them. Saban, Dabo, Bryant, Kirby, Meyer, etc. I’m just tired of all it. Johnson was a great guy and ”appeared“ to do things right and yet our fan base busted on him because he didn’t “win” enough. Collins loves GT is a local boy turned head coach and yet our fan base bangs on him due to his record. And this season will only ramp that up if we don’t “win” enough. That along with your analogies are what our society has become which is ridiculous. At this point no coach gets any credit for doing things the right way and losing. Those guys get FIRED.

So, from my fandom view, I want my coach to do whatever it takes to win because if he doesn’t he will be fired. You can come up with all the ridiculous scenarios you want and you can attribute them all to me. But at least I’m honest unlike many who say they want an honest coach with integrity and will fire him because of those same attributes.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Just ridiculous. If Collins doesn’t win on Saturdays, no matter how much integrity he has or how many right things he does in private won’t keep fans like you from piling on him. You guys want the impossible - a coach who does everything right and wins. That doesn’t happen. Do you not read message boards? Every time a winning coach from another team is brought up everyone jumps on them. Saban, Dabo, Bryant, Kirby, Meyer, etc. I’m just tired of all it. Johnson was a great guy and ”appeared“ to do things right and yet our fan base busted on him because he didn’t “win” enough. Collins loves GT is a local boy turned head coach and yet our fan base bangs on him due to his record. And this season will only ramp that up if we don’t “win” enough. That along with your analogies are what our society has become which is ridiculous. At this point no coach gets any credit for doing things the right way and losing. Those guys get FIRED.

So, from my fandom view, I want my coach to do whatever it takes to win because if he doesn’t he will be fired. You can come up with all the ridiculous scenarios you want and you can attribute them all to me. But at least I’m honest unlike many who say they want an honest coach with integrity and will fire him because of those same attributes.
So you are saying that if we were all honest we would agree with you?

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

Rant and rave if you want to. The bolded item is patently not true. Hiring someone to murder the family of an opposing star QB would help a team to win. Unless you are psychopathic, you would not support that. There are limits that you would not support passing. To whichever generic group of people you are lumping me in with (not based on anything that is actually in my post), they would probably not be in favor of the defense allowing touchdowns to keep from hurting the other team's feelings. There are lines that you would not cross, and there are lines that your imaginary "other group" would emphatically support crossing. No matter how angry you want to get, you are much closer to that "other group" than you think. You set it up as "I will do ANYTHING to win" vs "We won't do anything at all to win". If you had something specific to discuss, maybe you would find people who agree with you, people who disagree with you, and people who can articulate reasons for agreeing or disagreeing. Ranting and raving against some generic other people and against "message boards" is fine if that is what you want to do, but don't expect me to take you seriously.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

Poor Bill Battle did things the "right way", uncommon for one of the Bear's boys, at Tennessee, won a lot of games, went to bowls but could not beat Alabama. One Sunday morning after, yet another loss to the Tide on the third Saturday in October, he woke up to find a moving van in his driveway. Such is life in the SEC. All of the factories, including those not elite cheat, bribe recruits, pay players, engage in all kinds of academic trickery, to be professional in all but name. They may as well be designated as the minor leagues of the NFL.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Are you saying we have to cheat to win? And seriously, starting with representing the university, coaches have more than one job.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
That was the least of Petrino's damages to that program. Coach Satterfield walked into a situation that was far worse than he had been led to believe. I just wish we were playing them instead of say, Clemson or Notre Dame.
Based on the beatings Louisville was taking I doubt Satterfield was at all surprised.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Are you saying we have to cheat to win? And seriously, starting with representing the university, coaches have more than one job.
Heck yes we have to cheat to win in this era. Where have you been? Give me the last team you think won a Natty without cheating and you’ll be given a long list of what they did to win by many posters. This is a completely rigged sport with schools like UNC creating entire academic departments with the sole reason to beat the NCAA rules and keep their athletes eligible. Let alone the old fashioned way of simply giving players under the table money. Now, am I saying I want us to cheat? No. But in order to win any team has to cheat. Collins can be the perfect ambassador for GT and give every paycheck to cancer patients, but if he loses games he will be fired. Heck, Bobby a remind was Georgia Tech and look what we did to him when he stopped winning.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Rant and rave if you want to. The bolded item is patently not true. Hiring someone to murder the family of an opposing star QB would help a team to win. Unless you are psychopathic, you would not support that. There are limits that you would not support passing. To whichever generic group of people you are lumping me in with (not based on anything that is actually in my post), they would probably not be in favor of the defense allowing touchdowns to keep from hurting the other team's feelings. There are lines that you would not cross, and there are lines that your imaginary "other group" would emphatically support crossing. No matter how angry you want to get, you are much closer to that "other group" than you think. You set it up as "I will do ANYTHING to win" vs "We won't do anything at all to win". If you had something specific to discuss, maybe you would find people who agree with you, people who disagree with you, and people who can articulate reasons for agreeing or disagreeing. Ranting and raving against some generic other people and against "message boards" is fine if that is what you want to do, but don't expect me to take you seriously.
Here’s my deal regarding your murder for hire scheme you are obsessed with- I would not cry if a nuke accidentally went off above Athens. If that makes me a bad person then so be it. I also don’t cry when players on opposing teams get injured. I’m sure the condolences are pouring in from dog, hokie, hurricanes, tar heel coaching staffs for our loss of Blackburn.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Heck yes we have to cheat to win in this era. Where have you been? Give me the last team you think won a Natty without cheating and you’ll be given a long list of what they did to win by many posters. This is a completely rigged sport with schools like UNC creating entire academic departments with the sole reason to beat the NCAA rules and keep their athletes eligible. Let alone the old fashioned way of simply giving players under the table money. Now, am I saying I want us to cheat? No. But in order to win any team has to cheat. Collins can be the perfect ambassador for GT and give every paycheck to cancer patients, but if he loses games he will be fired. Heck, Bobby a remind was Georgia Tech and look what we did to him when he stopped winning.
Did to win "by many posters"? It's my turn to ask: where have you been?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Raleigh area. And yeah he was a cordial SOB and an all around hell of a politician. He didn't "big time" anyone there. I've been big timed before, or at least had guys present like they're the smartest guys in the room. The UNC staff isn't like that at all.
My son once coached in deep east texas - a stud linebacker had committed to an Oklahoma school. Just before signing time Brown flew in on helicopter and landed at practice field. Next day kid switched to UT.
UT was declining fast at that time and the kid got very limited playing time.

UT and TEXAS AM are brutal places to coach - money comes out of the ground and then the luck alumni become genius football critics that donate.

With Mack there its going to be tough for GT to stronger than UNC due to lack of donations by gt alumni.

OUR SHORT TERM PLAN TO GET LUCKY WITH COLLINS RECRUITING, GT ALUMS ON STAFF, AND COACHING PICKUPS FROM G5 TEAMS RUNS OUT AT END OF THIS YEAR. PAY THE ASSISTANTS IF WE DO WELL OR GET NEW MORE EXPENSIVE ONES.