ACC Coaches Talk Anonymously About Conference Foes for 2021

slugboy

Staff member
Some nice quotes about us, and a few less nice quotes. I’d love our quotes mixed in with UVA’s, especially on defense

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
Well that was a silly piece of tripe (for the very young, tripe is a part of a cow's stomach that poor people eat). Whoever wrote that is not paying attention. He says that GT has not made a dent in recruiting. He basically regurgitates a 15,000 feet summary of last year.
It's other coaches saying it. Most of it is true except the recruiting part. I think we are miles ahead there. And the general tone of that was will GT be patient with Collins because there is improvement being made?

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
All seemed pretty legit and realistic. Defense was a train wreck and the OL has to get better. This year will be a measure of not just Collins’ progress but yes, also the level of commitment to his vision and progress. A good year makes it better, a tough year makes it worse / harder. It’s time to perform.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Man these articles are sounding more and more fake every single year….
An extremely easy article to fake. If every comment were copied from message boards instead of from coaches, it would be impossible to prove that no ACC coach made an anonymous comment. Even if it was possible to prove that every comment if fabricated, there is no byline so Athlon could claim that the person responsible no longer works for Athlon, whether true or not.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Lol sounded like the BC coach anonymously commented on his own program. They do have some good stuff going on though.

How much can you really trust this junk anyways?

Frankly other than Clemson, UNC and Miami, no one really knows what any of the other teams have or are going to do. If Florida St. gets right they might be the top.....but who knows. And as I said, I see three wins we should have and 5 losses....but then who knows.

One interesting thread through all of this was that the transfer portal was no way to build a team. Maybe fill a short term gap.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Frankly other than Clemson, UNC and Miami, no one really knows what any of the other teams have or are going to do. If Florida St. gets right they might be the top.....but who knows. And as I said, I see three wins we should have and 5 losses....but then who knows.

One interesting thread through all of this was that the transfer portal was no way to build a team. Maybe fill a short term gap.
I think that may change in the future. As the SEC adds Oklahoma and Texas, it will be them and a few legacy programs with money that get ALL the 4 star and up recruits out of high school. Combine this with the NCAA loosening the transfer rules and this will leave some quality transfers available, if you make some very selective roster management, which I think Collins is smart about. It won't just be all scrubs who couldn't cut it because the competition at these schools is going to leave some really good freshmen looking to bail. A guy like Kevin Harris is a good example. He just wasn't a fit for Bama's defense. He may be every bit as good as his recruiting ranking as a 4-3 rush end.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck

If you can get guys for 2-3 years through the portal it's absolutely a great recruiting tool. The 1 year guys should be to fill gaps only for that year like we did with the kicker from Tennessee (or to help our OL/DL while the recruits and getting bigger from high school)

YellowJacket55

Georgia Tech Fan
Regardless if the quotes are really from coaches, the importance of a feedback loop from this year probably can’t be understated. The last two years had big asterisks, while this one just doesn’t feel the same way. A better than expected year this year would
1) Cement a potentially great 2022 class
2) Continue 2023 momentum
3) Bring together at least most of the fan base around GC

green&gold

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah, none of these seemed that bad... Much more positive than I expected.

Year 3 is going to be a big one though.
"This is an important year for them to show proof of concept.”

I do agree with that one quote about the defense last year. Thacker and that unit took a huge step backward. Excited to see what the transfers bring to that side. Lines were a trainwreck for sure.

I am not sure that these, maybe some, are 100% coming from coaches. I tried to see if maybe I can guess ones from Collins and the staff based on phrasing, etc. Anything that relates to "culture" sticks out as coming from Collins, lol.