ACC Coaches Anonymously Talk about Conference Foes

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Only quote I care about, and a lot of us have said over the years:

This job has always been a huge program waiting for the right guy. It looks like Geoff Collins is that guy. He’s a native and he can recruit like he’s in the SEC. He could make this team a force to be reckoned with four years from now, and he knows it."

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Athlon compiles anonymous quotes from ACC coaches about other teams. Keep in mind that "coach" is a pretty broad term and Athlon can decide which comments to include to paint certain pictures. Still interesting though.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/acc-coaches-talk-anonymously-about-conference-foes-2019

The take by the anonymous coaches is the same as it has been for some time now. Tech does not have much talent on either side of the ball especially in the lines. Nothing new but what is also not new is how well we seem to do in spite of the recruiting limitations. Some of those guys talking smack were sitting on their *** in 2016 while we were in the Orange Bowl. That said, this year will be challenging. I am predicting 5 wins and it may be worse. No matter, just be a better, much better team across the board when we play UGA as compared to when we play Clemson so that the dawg players will be like: "Hey, these guys sure do look different from the ones on film from early in the year". Incremental improvement from week to week and game to game and fans will be happy. It is all we can ask or expect from a team in this situation.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
Duke right now has better players and a coach who knows what to do with them. All three of those teams we need to be beating on a regular basis before we start talking about Miami, Clemson, and UGA.
We will have better players than them by next year. They are peaking with resources allocated. We will only improve. In three years, We will be on par with Miami for talent and within range of the dwags.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Good I hope everyone over looks us. I still say 7 wins and maybe 1 more. I don't think we will be that bad on offense if the OC calls plays to fit our players. As far as pass blocking now that we will throw short and medium passes you don't have to hold ( yes hold) you man as long. Don't grab his jersey or tackle him they won't call it , at least they didn't call it on the teams we played

Teaching our OL how to better pass block (with the rules as they are now) is, I think, one of the least of our concerns.

Course a lot of that depends on the pass game philosophy.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
A couple things.

1) Even if it is GAs or analysts, who do you think is watching the most film and breaking it down for the coaches? These insinuation that they don’t know football is a bizarre one.

2) Almost all of these quotes are positive for the future.

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck
We've lost to Clemson 7 of the last 9 years.

Carry on.

He said they owned us the last four years (0-4). So if you take into account that he admitted that, his statement is still accurate. That would make us 2-3 against them in the previous 5, correct? And if you include the sixth year (as he did), we beat them twice* which would make us 4-3 in the time frame he referenced.

So were you agreeing with him?

Deleted member 2897

Athlon compiles anonymous quotes from ACC coaches about other teams. Keep in mind that "coach" is a pretty broad term and Athlon can decide which comments to include to paint certain pictures. Still interesting though.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/acc-coaches-talk-anonymously-about-conference-foes-2019

Haven't read the whole thread here, so I'm probably re-stating what others have said.

Did a cursory glance - lots of good commentary about our future, which is appreciated. But a ton of flat out ignorance. Tobias Oliver (no offense to him) is not our best quarterback. We don't have zero Tight Ends, and so on. A lot of people saying things they aren't aware of or don't understand. And its not just about us. People stated that Florida State has a pretty bare cupboard for talent - that's obnoxiously ignorant. Others said Duke is "on a higher plane" and things are humming along over there. That's obnoxiously ignorant. The last 3 years in ACC play, Duke has gone 3-5, 3-5, and 1-7. How is that a positive? LOL.

Of course, someone did slip in that 'multiple coaches' have watched us and said we're 'not even close to being decent'. Well we have 1 sub-0.500 season in ACC play in the last 25 years...something no other team in the ACC can say. So lets stick that up on the wall and go shove it in their faces when we play.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
We will have better players than them by next year. They are peaking with resources allocated.

Why is this true? What prevents Duke from building a football powerhouse? They spend more money than us and have shown that they can build a top tier basketball program. Why could they not also continue to spend and build a comparable football program.

While I tend to agree with you that there is a finite limit to Duke football success unless they continue to up their spending (same is true for us) it is simply hubris to assume that they cannot be successful merely because they are Duke. I'm sure uga and other factories have said the same about us.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Why is this true? What prevents Duke from building a football powerhouse? They spend more money than us and have shown that they can build a top tier basketball program. Why could they not also continue to spend and build a comparable football program.

While I tend to agree with you that there is a finite limit to Duke football success unless they continue to up their spending (same is true for us) it is simply hubris to assume that they cannot be successful merely because they are Duke. I'm sure uga and other factories have said the same about us.
I know you didn't ask me and I have no knowledge about Duke if I had to guess the big money people of Duke may want the money to go to basketball. Their football stadium is small but I liked it and enjoy going to the games we play up there.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I know you didn't ask me and I have no knowledge about Duke if I had to guess the big money people of Duke may want the money to go to basketball. Their football stadium is small but I liked it and enjoy going to the games we play up there.

While that may be true, it still doesn't prohibit Duke from building a legitimate football program. They currently spend more than us. We have to rectify that.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
It's entirely possible that some of the people being interviewed are not ignorant. Perhaps they just see things on film and have a different opinion than some of us about the challenges and our ability to overcome them. I think it's perfectly reasonable for someone to look at our team and think it's going to take a few years for us to be competitive. I think most of us believe we'll be competitive sooner than that but it's not a far-fetched conclusion to come to that we may struggle.

Deleted member 2897

It's entirely possible that some of the people being interviewed are not ignorant. Perhaps they just see things on film and have a different opinion than some of us about the challenges and our ability to overcome them. I think it's perfectly reasonable for someone to look at our team and think it's going to take a few years for us to be competitive. I think most of us believe we'll be competitive sooner than that but it's not a far-fetched conclusion to come to that we may struggle.

Other than the fact we've had 1 single sub-0.500 season in ACC play in the last 25 years. That includes 4 different head coaches, and I can't remember how many different defensive coaches and schemes and offensive coaches and schemes. These same idiots said the same thing when CPJ was hired - how do we run an option offense with a bunch of players recruited into a different scheme?

I mean yes, we might win 3-4 games this year and that's it. But we might also win 9-10. Based on past history, our odds of winning 9-10 are probably even higher than only winning 3-4. Yet nobody ever gives us that benefit of the doubt. Ever.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

This. The people interviewed make their living coaching football. CPJ and his scheme often made a mockery of preseason predictions, mainly because there was no reliable way for non-TO coaches to predict how guys they passed over would fare in CPJs scheme. This year, they are looking at (mostly) guys they passed over and judging how they will do in schemes they are more familiar with. We might well surprise everyone and win 6 games, but the likelihood we only win 3-5 is pretty high.