ACC Coaches Anonymously Talk about Conference Foes

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
1. We’ve lost linemen and others early due to graduation. Also, not losing players to the NFL argues that the other teams have been out-recruiting us

2. I know Alabama processes a lot of players. I hadn’t heard of that so much at Clemson or Miami. Is that enough of a factor at UNC or NCST to create an illusion of better recruiting?

We’re talking about ACC recruiting—Duke, UNC, VT, Pitt, etc. Do 1 and 2 make that much difference with those schools?

If it was a one-off comparison against FSU, I could see that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think we are more in agreement than disagreement. Clemson does not tend to process, and a few years ago they had a class that was ranked 8th that only had 17 recruits in it. (2018 class) 6 5*, 6 4*, & 5 3* recruits. They have become a legit recruiting powerhouse. Miami does do some processing, but lately have done less under CMR. We will see what the new regime looks like.

As for losing linemen early to graduation, most of our players do indeed stick out the full 5 years. We lose a few, but it is the exception rather than the rule.

I was not proposing that the other schools do not outrecruit us, just pointing out that there was a flaw in your argument. In the end, as CPJ used to say, it is what it is. We need to become really good at recruiting really fast or we are going to be really disappointed with the results on the field.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
1. We’ve lost linemen and others early due to graduation. Also, not losing players to the NFL argues that the other teams have been out-recruiting us

2. I know Alabama processes a lot of players. I hadn’t heard of that so much at Clemson or Miami. Is that enough of a factor at UNC or NCST to create an illusion of better recruiting?

We’re talking about ACC recruiting—Duke, UNC, VT, Pitt, etc. Do 1 and 2 make that much difference with those schools?

If it was a one-off comparison against FSU, I could see that

That is somewhat fair. Compared to the top schools, we are almost always 3-6 recruits smaller per year (15-30% smaller). For example, 2016-2019: GT (85), UGA (95), ALA (101).

That said, you are probably right that the same disparity may not exist with Duke, Wake, Pitt, etc. I bet it does with Miami, VT, UNC, etc. though, even if only 2-4 less recruits. That still does make the kind of difference in rankings that are mentioned above.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Look at the OL and DL. Those are the two position groups that matter most and are where we seemed to mainly get kids with few P5 offers. It really doesn’t matter how good the skill position guys are if you get beat in the trenches. Not saying we will this year but that is where my main concern is.
Then it should continue for this year. Looking at our OL recruits (I used 247) I find this for P5 offers, besides Tech:

Green - Nada
Williams - Indiana, NCSU
Kootsouradis - Nada (But Columbia(!) and Cornell(!!) offered and he came to Tech. Good recruiting there.)
Rankin - Minnesota, Auburn, Puke, FSZoo, Illinois, Louisville, da U, Pitt, Wake
Howard - BC, Louisville, da U, Wake

Now let's look at 2018, Paul's last full year:

Smith - Purdue, VT, Puke, Indiana (again), Arkansas, UVA, Syracuse, UK
Maye - Puke (he committed early)
Jump - Nada
McKeehan - Nada

Some of this is scheme related; we went after Zack because he played on a spread option team in high school and that also explains why he didn't get any other P5 offers. But the differences don't seem that great to me. And, of course, all these "offers" may not be committable. The two everybody seems to have been after are Smith and Rankin.

Sorry I didn't do the DLs, but I can only do this once or so a day. Now back to the revisions …

alagold

Helluva Engineer
What you are not accounting for is that:

1. We do not tend to lose players early to the NFL Draft, &
2. We have not historically processed players at the same rates many of these schools who "recruit well" do.
we don't lose them to the NFl ,but we sure lose them SOMEHOW for a variety of reasons--check the % lost fro '12 forward, its startling

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I think the status of our players in the transfer portal (excepting Braun) is pretty illuminating on our talent level as well.

GT99

Georgia Tech Fan
Then it should continue for this year. Looking at our OL recruits (I used 247) I find this for P5 offers, besides Tech:

Green - Nada
Williams - Indiana, NCSU
Kootsouradis - Nada (But Columbia(!) and Cornell(!!) offered and he came to Tech. Good recruiting there.)
Rankin - Minnesota, Auburn, Puke, FSZoo, Illinois, Louisville, da U, Pitt, Wake
Howard - BC, Louisville, da U, Wake

Now let's look at 2018, Paul's last full year:

Smith - Purdue, VT, Puke, Indiana (again), Arkansas, UVA, Syracuse, UK
Maye - Puke (he committed early)
Jump - Nada
McKeehan - Nada

Some of this is scheme related; we went after Zack because he played on a spread option team in high school and that also explains why he didn't get any other P5 offers. But the differences don't seem that great to me. And, of course, all these "offers" may not be committable. The two everybody seems to have been after are Smith and Rankin.

Sorry I didn't do the DLs, but I can only do this once or so a day. Now back to the revisions …

Not really sure of your point here? Hard to compare offers of a class 6 months before signing with after signing day, especially for 3 star guys as they don't get the offers as quickly. The scholarships start flowing down as things shake out with the 4 and 5 stars, and the higher 3 stars.
From a ratings perspective, Smith was the highest rated in the 2018 class. He'd be the lowest rated in the 2020 class (based on 247 ratings). Granted, the difference between him and Kootsouradis and Howard is trivial.
Not that ratings mean all that much - you may ultimately be right, but my point is what you posted doesn't mean anything at this point.

slugboy

Staff member
Here’s what the ACC coaches said about us anonymously. Does anything they said look accurate right now?

Link to original-> https://athlonsports.com/college-football/acc-coaches-talk-anonymously-about-conference-foes-2019

Georgia Tech

"The new coaching staff has brought in a lot of attention. They really needed that, because Georgia Tech has been asleep for a long time. But this is still a transition year. They have to keep doing all the social media PR stuff, because when you're undoing a triple-option roster, you're gonna get your butt handed to you for a bit."

"They're going to have to rework their entire offensive line. We've had some visiting coaches who saw Tech tell us they're a ways off of being even decent. That's what you expect, though. These guys are smaller, four-point stance guys who have never gone into proper pass protection schemes."

"Tobias Oliver is their best quarterback, but he's definitely a triple guy. They could end up starting someone new if he can't make the throws."

"They have no tight end position, so they'll have to build that from scratch. They have no possession receivers and a lot of dudes who block and break out wide open on play-actions. Lots of work there."

"Defensively is a little bit better news — at least they have the right kind of bodies. They lost most of their key guys under Ted Roof. They were bad at creating pressures last year, and we'd been watching their defense get slower and less physical for a while."

"This job has always been a huge program waiting for the right guy. It looks like Geoff Collins is that guy. He’s a native and he can recruit like he’s in the SEC. He could make this team a force to be reckoned with four years from now, and he knows it."

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Here’s what the ACC coaches said about us anonymously. Does anything they said look accurate right now?

Link to original-> https://athlonsports.com/college-football/acc-coaches-talk-anonymously-about-conference-foes-2019

Georgia Tech

"The new coaching staff has brought in a lot of attention. They really needed that, because Georgia Tech has been asleep for a long time. But this is still a transition year. They have to keep doing all the social media PR stuff, because when you're undoing a triple-option roster, you're gonna get your butt handed to you for a bit."

"They're going to have to rework their entire offensive line. We've had some visiting coaches who saw Tech tell us they're a ways off of being even decent. That's what you expect, though. These guys are smaller, four-point stance guys who have never gone into proper pass protection schemes."

"Tobias Oliver is their best quarterback, but he's definitely a triple guy. They could end up starting someone new if he can't make the throws."

"They have no tight end position, so they'll have to build that from scratch. They have no possession receivers and a lot of dudes who block and break out wide open on play-actions. Lots of work there."

"Defensively is a little bit better news — at least they have the right kind of bodies. They lost most of their key guys under Ted Roof. They were bad at creating pressures last year, and we'd been watching their defense get slower and less physical for a while."

"This job has always been a huge program waiting for the right guy. It looks like Geoff Collins is that guy. He’s a native and he can recruit like he’s in the SEC. He could make this team a force to be reckoned with four years from now, and he knows it."

Ouch. But we knew better. lol

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
I think we all knew the O Line was gonna be rough this year. But I believe that Brent Key is the best line coach in the country and he will have some studlies in there very soon!

What's that thing I read awhile back that Bamer fans were glad Key left... is there any truth to that?

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
What's that thing I read awhile back that Bamer fans were glad Key left... is there any truth to that?
Well, D. Orlando Ledbetter reported in the Constipation that Saban fired him. Who knows for sure?

slugboy

Staff member
Well, D. Orlando Ledbetter reported in the Constipation that Saban fired him. Who knows for sure?
I can't find that by Googling. Ledbetter is the Falcons reporter, so it doesn't sound like something that he'd either tweet or run in print.

I did find this: https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/college/football/os-sec-media-days-20160712-story.html
Saban took some time during his opening remarks at SEC Media Days Wednesday to highlight some of his new additions to the Crimson Tide coaching staff including former UCF assistant coach Brent Key.

Key joined Saban's staff back in February after he parted ways with UCF after the Knights' dismal 0-12 season. He'll help coach the Tides' offense line this season along with former FIU coach Mario Cristobal.

"Brent has certainly done a good job, and his energy and enthusiasm has been very helpful," Saban said.

The coverage I'm seeing from when he left was positive about him and his coaching: https://tdalabamamag.com/2019/01/04...ama-for-georgia-tech-after-cfp-title-matchup/.

It's not hard these days to find a Bama fan saying "we'll get someone better" after anyone leaves. They do pretty well in reloading. Plus, message boards have all sorts of comments.