ACC Bowl Action

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I'd call this the NC observation, they start well, get lots of love, get beaten by GT, then their season falls apart. Seems to have been their thing in recent years, maybe decades?
They avoid us next year so they will likely have a better year, well no they are what they are!

alagold

Helluva Engineer
My general thought, if teams / players want to.phone in after being invited to a bowl, then they should be held out of bowl selection next season.
It's a shame that so many teams work their butts off all season and don't get to a bowl,
Meanwhile the team that do, have players that could care less.

Seeing NC go down yesterday was kind of sad, considering the high they had earlier this season
uncheat can eat dirt for cheating all those YEARS. -and never held accountable really..

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
The teams UNC and Louisville played had reasons to phone it in. I gave Syracuse some slack for their performance, but they weren’t ready at all.
It’s not a good sign to look bad in these games. Louisville’s defense looked bad. If UNC can’t get ready for a bowl game, what is their spring practice going to be like?
Okay. I live about 15 miles from the UNC campus...lived in NC all my life.

Y'all have to look at this from a different perspective. Carolina has won SIX national championships in Men's Basketball (3rd best all-time) and 22 NC's in women's soccer (no other school has won more than three). Dean Smith famously quipped that he was the basketball coach at a women's soccer school.

Anyhoo, the Heels have played at the highest level of these sports for decades. They are a (Carolina) blueblood of those sports.

So, when you look down on them for expecting more from their athletic programs, well, they have reason.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
It’s always 1 step forward 2 steps back with the acc. VT beats a Tulane team that won a ny6 last year? Overshadowed by Louisville getting smoked by the 7th place pac team. BC handles an SMU team a good number of people thought should get a ny6 bid this year? Miami decided to get pistol whipped by Rutgers right after. It’s not hard to see why we are considered a joke among the power conferences. We’ve honestly been relegated to g7 status based on the playoff selection anyway and we aren’t doing anything to challenge that

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
These bowls aren't meaningless.

They have less meaning in a CFB world with conference championships & playoffs & favorable transfer rules.

...but they carry just a little meaning they always have. It's a "bonus" game with no bearing on a teams "standing" ...& that's how it's always been.

Meaningless is hyperbole.

Last edited:

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Mario Cristobal = Geoff Collins.
Paramount Network Kelly GIF by Yellowstone

Mario wears socks

sesame street muppets GIF

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Anyhoo, the Heels have played at the highest level of these sports for decades. They are a (Carolina) blueblood of those sports.
I think you may have a bias perhaps from living there. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Kentucky has more BB NC's than does UNC as does the UConn women's BB team (almost 2X as many). Fans of these two schools understand that greatness in one arena doesn't automatically qualify you for greatness in others. Denver (men's hockey) and Oklahoma Panhandle State University (rodeo) also understand that their FB teams don't get to ride on the coattails of their succesful teams.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
These bowls aren't meaningless.

They have less meaning in a CFB world with conference championships & playoffs & favorable transfer rules.

...but they carry just a little meaning they always have. It's a "bonus" game with no bearing on a teams "standing" ...& that's how it's always been.

Meaningless is hyperbole.
Bowl games in 2023 in no way resemble Bowl Games from 1990 or earlier.

When you have teams like Texas A&M missing 31 scholarship out of 85 players the games results are not a reflection on the regular season for at least 1/3rd of the teams playing.

How would GT have looked had King and Haynes decided to opt out of the game.

That day will come for GT if we keep improving and Bowls become every year things going forward.

slugboy

Staff member
Since I have watched zero bowl games, other than Tech, I’m glad you guys are throwing yourselves on all these grenades so I can hear about the outcomes.
There are reasons to watch.
Rutgers has a beast at RB, who led the B1G in rushing. Fast and strong. I guess Miami didn’t watch film, because they were unprepared. Rutgers played hard nose football. I don’t know how many Rutgers players would have been offered a scholarship to Miami to start the season—possibly none—but they pushed Miami around.

Restrepo is too good for Miami

VT looks like they want to play next year.

Mack Brown looks like he’s tired.

BC—I don’t know what to say about them. I think they could do more with a more creative coach. Their QB is a joy to watch when he’s not playing against your team