ACC Bowl Action

slugboy

Staff member
ACC absolutely laid an egg yesterday except for VPI&SU. UNC looked like UNC minus Maye (and others). I guess we can put Louisville under the "didn't want to be there" category. Their D may have hurt Caleb Williams draft stock they were so bad against USC's backup QB.

I guess there's no reason to expect much different from the ACC today as they are underdogs in all three. But maybe that's a good thing (2-1 so far as the underdog).

View attachment 15438
The teams UNC and Louisville played had reasons to phone it in. I gave Syracuse some slack for their performance, but they weren’t ready at all.
It’s not a good sign to look bad in these games. Louisville’s defense looked bad. If UNC can’t get ready for a bowl game, what is their spring practice going to be like?

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
My general thought, if teams / players want to.phone in after being invited to a bowl, then they should be held out of bowl selection next season.
It's a shame that so many teams work their butts off all season and don't get to a bowl,
Meanwhile the team that do, have players that could care less.

Seeing NC go down yesterday was kind of sad, considering the high they had earlier this season

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
My general thought, if teams / players want to.phone in after being invited to a bowl, then they should be held out of bowl selection next season.
It's a shame that so many teams work their butts off all season and don't get to a bowl,
Meanwhile the team that do, have players that could care less.

Seeing NC go down yesterday was kind of sad, considering the high they had earlier this season
It’s what happens when you quit on a season.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
Louisville been on fraud watch all year and this is basically their norm any time they look good. Bunch of close wins that we all choked in and then last time they were ranked this high they ended their season with 3 losses to 8 win Houston, 5-6 Kentucky, and got stomped by LSU in their bowl by 20. They pretty much always make the conference look like a joke whenever they have a good year

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I thought Louisville wasn’t very good all year, and just ran above expectation at the start of the year. Wasn’t really surprised to see USC beat them. Lincoln Riley’s offense isn’t meant to require a great qb and their offense was never in question. Most Louisville fans seem happy that was Plummer’s last game.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
It’s impressive how entitled the UNC fans are though after always being mediocre. Their fans don’t even show up to their in state bowl game and are pouting that the 8 win seasons are beneath them. They’ve never really been anything more than an 8 win program. Both UNC fans I work with didn’t even tune into the game

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I can see scenarios where top players simply sit out their third season as they await the NFL draft. Why risk injury, and they're already getting paid...
This is the state of NBA, NFL and beginning to start with CFB, IMO. It started with "energy management" in the NBA ( stars were playing only 60% of games). Now I think we see an excess of "injuries" in the NFL( you can fake a hamstring or groin sprain real easy). CFB is turning into a similar situation. Sad (sickening):vomit:

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
UNC had 12 starters opt out. Bowls are not representative of the teams that played the regular season in a lot of cases. GT was fortunate only 2 players who got significant playing time opted out.
Those two wouldn't have if they hadn't bumped u the transfer window. Since both of them were grad transfers they had to announce early in years past they would have played the bowl the. Announced for the Feb window

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
a team is cruising along undefeated, with national aspirations, and they get shocked by somebody and the team is never the same again and limps to the end of the season.
I'd call this the NC observation, they start well, get lots of love, get beaten by GT, then their season falls apart. Seems to have been their thing in recent years, maybe decades?

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I thought Louisville wasn’t very good all year, and just ran above expectation at the start of the year. Wasn’t really surprised to see USC beat them. Lincoln Riley’s offense isn’t meant to require a great qb and their offense was never in question. Most Louisville fans seem happy that was Plummer’s last game.
I thought Louisville/USC was one of the harder games to pick. Both teams had multiple players out. Both were on losing streaks at the end of the season and were relatively disappointed in how the season ended. Its hard to gauge the mindset of young players in that situation. USC ended up having a QB who was trying to win the job for next year. That was the main difference.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah that dude is dangerous, I was super impressed in person by his speed and arm, I wonder if anyone has tried to NIL him away yet?
Well I would at least like for the ACC to have a winning records in bowls. BC win makes the ACC 4-3. Not sure how the rest will play out but I think at least Clemson is in a strong position to win. FSU to me has very little chance. The other 2 are more wildcards.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
Well I would at least like for the ACC to have a winning records in bowls. BC win makes the ACC 4-3. Not sure how the rest will play out but I think at least Clemson is in a strong position to win. FSU to me has very little chance. The other 2 are more wildcards.
Miami starting off poorly. About to fall to 1-3 against P5 teams. Wonder who that 1 was

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
It's Vulcan. He's the god of fire and forge. He's the symbol of Birmingham, referencing its iron & steel history, which is the reason the city exists. The trophy is a replica of the 56 foot statue on top of Red Mountain in Birmingham.
Does this guy know how to party or what?!

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Those two wouldn't have if they hadn't bumped u the transfer window. Since both of them were grad transfers they had to announce early in years past they would have played the bowl the. Announced for the Feb window
There is no restriction on a grad transfer entering the portal. They can enter any time they want and can leave any time they want.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
It's Vulcan. He's the god of fire and forge. He's the symbol of Birmingham, referencing its iron & steel history, which is the reason the city exists. The trophy is a replica of the 56 foot statue on top of Red Mountain in Birmingham.
I lived just downhill from Vulcan while a grad student at UAB. It's a nice statue that correctly represents the city and its history.