ACC Bowl Action

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Someone should point to any games in which both teams and coaching staffs were intact and both teams wanted to play and were not phoning it in. I would like to know what those games were and how they turned out.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Someone should point to any games in which both teams and coaching staffs were intact and both teams wanted to play and were not phoning it in. I would like to know what those games were and how they turned out.
I think if kids are going to opt out, they need to do that before the bowl matchups are made. I think Tech would destroy an FSU team with 14 starters and 24 in the 2-deep not playing.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I think if kids are going to opt out, they need to do that before the bowl matchups are made. I think Tech would destroy an FSU team with 14 starters and 24 in the 2-deep not playing.
The FBS Football Portal opened 4 December. Bowls were announced 3 December. You do the math :ROFLMAO:

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
ACC turning out to be a joke.

Is that 0 wins against P5 teams so far?

I suspect the first win against a P5 team will be Miami vs Rutgers, but it is Miami.

Edit: I wasn’t counting us in the ACC. I’m a little salty about the ACC right now and am struggling to think about Tech as part of the ACC.
Swing and a miss, bro.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think if kids are going to opt out, they need to do that before the bowl matchups are made.
This is an excellent point, but I cannot think of a mechanism for enforcement. Kids declaring for the draft and entering the portal are making rational decisions about their own future. The problem is actually the plethora of meaningless bowl games. Who wants their NFL career ruined the Taxslayer or Servpro bowl?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The problem is actually the plethora of meaningless bowl games. Who wants their NFL career ruined the Taxslayer or Servpro bowl?
At what point do all of these kids realize that ALL regular season games then are therefore meaningless after your team is eliminated from a chance at either your conference championship and/or the CFP. A bowl game used to be a motivator for these types of teams in the past but if you are going to shut it downand sit out for a meaningless bowl game why not shut it down in mid-October when all you have left to play for is bowl eligibility?

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
At what point do all of these kids realize that ALL regular season games then are therefore meaningless after your team is eliminated from a chance at either your conference championship and/or the CFP. A bowl game used to be a motivator for these types of teams in the past but if you are going to shut it downand sit out for a meaningless bowl game why not shut it down in mid-October when all you have left to play for is bowl eligibility?
that could start to happen. I know NIL money legally can't be tied to playing, but I'm sure if some booster is giving millions to a QB and that QB decides to sit out, that booster will find a way to stop giving them NIL money.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
This is an excellent point, but I cannot think of a mechanism for enforcement. Kids declaring for the draft and entering the portal are making rational decisions about their own future. The problem is actually the plethora of meaningless bowl games. Who wants their NFL career ruined the Taxslayer or Servpro bowl?
Who wants a pro career ruined because of a meaningless end-of-regular-season game? Who wants a pro career ruined, period? Where does this stop? It's all I > Team thinking, which college sports is shot way too full of these days.

Just my $.02 worth.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Who wants a pro career ruined because of a meaningless end-of-regular-season game? Who wants a pro career ruined, period? Where does this stop? It's all I > Team thinking, which college sports is shot way too full of these days.

Just my $.02 worth.
I can see scenarios where top players simply sit out their third season as they await the NFL draft. Why risk injury, and they're already getting paid...

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
That kind of happens already with some teams.

Over the years, in more cases than I could name, a team is cruising along undefeated, with national aspirations, and they get shocked by somebody and the team is never the same again and limps to the end of the season. It’s hard to get up for games once your season hopes have been disappointed.

I know people will point out all the “exceptions to the rule” but it has been rare that I’ve seen a bowl game in the last 30 years where both teams were highly motivated to win if the bowl game is little more than a consolation game for missing a conference championship or for finishing as a top 4 or 5 team in the nation.

Again, no one needs to point out the exceptions. There is usually an obvious reason.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
It seems to me that, in my recollection, pooled bowl payouts were a major reason for the move toward conference affiliation back before the 1984 CFA court decision that allowed conferences to negotiate their own TV rights, circumventing the NCAA. Since then, it’s been about exploding TV dollars. I would like to differential bowl payouts somehow tied to winning the game, otherwise you get a normal share.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I can see scenarios where top players simply sit out their third season as they await the NFL draft. Why risk injury, and they're already getting paid...
That already happened with Micah Parsons at Penn State. Granted he sat out the Covid year, his 3rd year and he was still drafted #12. Had he played that year he might have been drafted higher, especially if Penn State used him as a DE vice LB. Or he could have been hurt.

His Pro career has not been hurt by not playing his 3rd college year.

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck
ACC absolutely laid an egg yesterday except for VPI&SU. UNC looked like UNC minus Maye (and others). I guess we can put Louisville under the "didn't want to be there" category. Their D may have hurt Caleb Williams draft stock they were so bad against USC's backup QB.

I guess there's no reason to expect much different from the ACC today as they are underdogs in all three. But maybe that's a good thing (2-1 so far as the underdog).

2023Bowls.gif

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I understand players not wanting to be injured and ruining their chance to transfer, but I hate it. Teams play schedules of their conferences and patsies. Far from meaningless, the bowls are the chance to see conferences play against each other. Or did. When I see all the FSU starters not playing, it ruins the game.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I understand players not wanting to be injured and ruining their chance to transfer, but I hate it. Teams play schedules of their conferences and patsies. Far from meaningless, the bowls are the chance to see conferences play against each other. Or did. When I see all the FSU starters not playing, it ruins the game.
It absolutely ruins it.

So far, only the playoffs and Gasparilla Bowl and, maybe, one or two others,have not been ruined.