ACC Baseball Tournament

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Just realized I can’t type...

Meant to say “I bet Tristin hopes some scouts were still paying attention”. I think you figured it out. Yeah, unless he really just wants to be done with college ball, I don’t see him signing in the upcoming draft.
You know, I thought Josh Okogie would stay one more year and that he would only improve his draft status if he stayed with GT another year. Wrong! I think the same about English, but could easily see him going for exactly the same reasons....he can then devote full time to his ‘trade’ and develop his skills more quickly in any pro environment.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
If you believe their words...
English is coming back
&
CDH feels like the program his improving with potential to be a 40 win team.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...7-18/misc_non_event/Transcript_ACC_Game_2.pdf
With respect, would we expect either of them (especially Hall) to say anything different than that? Two years ago Hall said in a Lunch Bunch pre-season meeting that the team had the potential to go to Omaha. We had a losing record that year. (I suppose he was technically correct...every team in the country had some level of potential to go to Omaha...but geez!)

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
With respect, would we expect either of them (especially Hall) to say anything different than that? Two years ago Hall said in a Lunch Bunch pre-season meeting that the team had the potential to go to Omaha. We had a losing record that year. (I suppose he was technically correct...every team in the country had some level of potential to go to Omaha...but geez!)
You're exactly right. I feel exactly the same way. Did it seem I had a different view? I was just sharing the info.

Wrt to English, I think he'll be back; but just a hunch.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
You're exactly right. I feel exactly the same way. Did it seem I had a different view? I was just sharing the info.

Wrt to English, I think he'll be back; but just a hunch.
Didn't mean to imply that you were endorsing those statements. Always appreciate your posts on here @FredJacket...you manage to stay more even keeled than I do and we need more fans like you and likely fewer like me.

Hope you're right about English...

Deleted member 2897

The problem with CDHs statement is that we had the potential to be a 40 win team this year too. And several previous years. He had a sit down with ADTS to figure out how to get there and he missed again by a country mile.

We have the potential to be a 40 win team in 2022 - let’s not change anything between now and then and just look forward to it!

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
The problem with CDHs statement is that we had the potential to be a 40 win team this year too. And several previous years. He had a sit down with ADTS to figure out how to get there and he missed again by a country mile.

We have the potential to be a 40 win team in 2022 - let’s not change anything between now and then and just look forward to it!
That is a problem, isn't it? :(

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If you believe their words...
English is coming back
&
CDH feels like the program his improving with potential to be a 40 win team.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...7-18/misc_non_event/Transcript_ACC_Game_2.pdf

I believe English will be back given the setback he had towards the end of the season among other factors. I also believe him. Players who are draft eligible get questions from interested teams about what it will take for them to sign. So I think part of what English is saying is based on input he has or hasn't received. Good for us; not good for him. I wish he'd had a better season and was highly sought after.

As to Hall, this quote of his says it all "We're not there yet, but I do think we're going in the right direction." The performance statistics don't support that statement. Pathetic that we finished 8th in the ACC and didn't win a single ACC tourney game. But that is obviously good enough for some. I'd be spitting mad; but what I see is complacency.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Oh Well. So much for the ACCT getting "local" teams into the weekend of the tournament.
Semi-final games:
PITT v LOU
CLEM v FSU

Two years of this format... clearly advantageous to top 4 seeds. However...
...in 2 tournaments only 2 of 8 (possible) have gotten thru pool play to Saturday's semifinals. 1 each year.

Also no pool (of 8) has had the 1-1, 1-1, 1-1 results. Seems like a statistical anomaly to me.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
It’s hard for me to get past the fact we had the ACC Player of the Year (and defensive POY), 3 more 1st team members, 1 2nd team, and 1 3rd team member and we are not going to make a Regional.

Here’s an excerpt from an ACC release. What’s the difference between our team and the others listed as far as current postseason projections and where they were ranked most of the season??

NC State and Georgia Tech led with four players each voted to the 16-member All-ACC First Team. Clemson, Florida State and Louisville each had two players selected.

NC State and Louisville tied with a league-high seven selections each to the
All-ACC First, Second and Third teams. Clemson and Georgia Tech each placed six total players. Duke, North Carolina and Florida State each had four All-ACC players.“

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
It’s hard for me to get past the fact we had the ACC Player of the Year (and defensive POY), 3 more 1st team members, 1 2nd team, and 1 3rd team member and we are not going to make a Regional.

Here’s an excerpt from an ACC release. What’s the difference between our team and the others listed as far as current postseason projections and where they were ranked most of the season??

NC State and Georgia Tech led with four players each voted to the 16-member All-ACC First Team. Clemson, Florida State and Louisville each had two players selected.

NC State and Louisville tied with a league-high seven selections each to the
All-ACC First, Second and Third teams. Clemson and Georgia Tech each placed six total players. Duke, North Carolina and Florida State each had four All-ACC players.“
I feel your feels. Ga Tech did not win "quite" enough against the best competition. Good on them for setting up a tough schedule. But....
They were 7-16 v top 50 RPI teams. 12 of those losses v CLEM, UNC, NCST, UGA (only 1 of those 12 games at home).

High's of season (beating Auburn 1 time & series wins over FSU & Duke) simply were not enough to tip scales in anyway favorable given the lows. Not getting at least a win or 3 out of those 12 losses above combined with road series losses at Pitt & UVA was the big problem.

The team (talent) was good enough. I'd say turn 3 of those 12 losses to wins & get "over" .500 in ACC &/or notching multiple wins over UGA & we'd be looking forward to the selection tomorrow. But no.

AND unlike the other teams bound for postseason.... the gap between our All-ACC talent & the relief pitching/bottom half of batting order talent was too great.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I feel your feels. Ga Tech did not win "quite" enough against the best competition. Good on them for setting up a tough schedule. But....
They were 7-16 v top 50 RPI teams. 12 of those losses v CLEM, UNC, NCST, UGA (only 1 of those 12 games at home).

High's of season (beating Auburn 1 time & series wins over FSU & Duke) simply were not enough to tip scales in anyway favorable given the lows. Not getting at least a win or 3 out of those 12 losses above combined with road series losses at Pitt & UVA was the big problem.

The team (talent) was good enough. I'd say turn 3 of those 12 losses to wins & get "over" .500 in ACC &/or notching multiple wins over UGA & we'd be looking forward to the selection tomorrow. But no.

AND unlike the other teams bound for postseason.... the gap between our All-ACC talent & the relief pitching/bottom half of batting order talent was too great.
The schedule is also what excites me about next year because we will get Clemson, North Carolina, and probably NC State at home.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The schedule is also what excites me about next year because we will get Clemson, North Carolina, and probably NC State at home.
And likely get BC and ND on the schedule. I’m not 100% how the other division scheduling really works, but I was thinking we may be getting vs Clemson (every year), vs ND, @ BC, @ Louisville then one of NCST/FSU/WF.

Deleted member 2897

That is a good solid attempt at #Fredoptimism, But remember that we almost got swept by a bad Pitt team in all four games this season, and we almost got swept by a bad Radford team in all three games. I love our team and will always be a fan, but I don’t really feel like we were close to deserving to get in.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I don't see how TSTAN can allow this downward trend of the baseball team to continue. Some changes need to be made one way or the other. Coaches need to be measured on several metrics but the big one is number of wins. Graduating players is important at GT but we need to be competitive as well. Have we lost our fire to win?

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't see how TSTAN can allow this downward trend of the baseball team to continue. Some changes need to be made one way or the other. Coaches need to be measured on several metrics but the big one is number of wins. Graduating players is important at GT but we need to be competitive as well. Have we lost our fire to win?
I definitely wonder how important non-revenue, generally; & baseball, specifically... are to the AD. Obviously, he publicly says all the right things... but you're touching on the "real" question. How aggressive (?... not sure the right word) will he be? I have no clue.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
How in the world could Bailey, Bart and Murray totally tank in the tourney? We had the highest batting average for the season and did not perform in the tourney.