ACC 2023-2024

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Is the ACC up for grabs this year? none of- UVA, UNC, dook, Miami look like world beaters
Duke and Miami, no but I've been really impressed w/ UVA and UNC. Harrison Ingram was a helluva get for the Tar Heels. Cormac Ryan doing Cormac Ryan things and Elliot Cadeau has done well for a Freshman. They don't look like they miss Caleb Love at all. And HooVA has a world class lockdown defender in Reece Beekman and Ryan Dunn has stepped into his starting role very impressively. They are back to play great defense.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Pitt has some nice pieces (Federiko Federiko is a manimal down low and Hinson affects the game no matter how quiet he's been) but Clemson has the best player on the court in PJ Hall and it's obvious. They are going to be a tough out in March.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Duke and Miami, no but I've been really impressed w/ UVA and UNC. Harrison Ingram was a helluva get for the Tar Heels. Cormac Ryan doing Cormac Ryan things and Elliot Cadeau has done well for a Freshman. They don't look like they miss Caleb Love at all. And HooVA has a world class lockdown defender in Reece Beekman and Ryan Dunn has stepped into his starting role very impressively. They are back to play great defense.
I agree they are all very good- just not seeing a great/dominant team yet. I forgot about Clemson, they looked great against Bama...

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
A few days old but worth a look

Coach Kenny Payne was asked at his postgame news conference why Johnson played only three minutes of the first half of the 73-68 win, and said his guard was not sure he could play without comfortable leggings.

“Are you ready for this?” Payne said to the reporter. “I probably shouldn’t tell you this — we didn’t have the tights that he wanted, so he didn’t know if he wanted to play.
“Oh yeah, you heard it. we didn’t have the tights that he wanted, that we’ve never had for him, and he decided, ‘I don’t feel like I can go.’ That’s what young people do.”

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
A few days old but worth a look

This ish is getting out of control. Sounds like the coach put him on blast a little bit by calling him out, but it should’ve been so much worse. That should have been a week riding the pine, then we’ll see if you change your mind or you can hit the bricks and go somewhere else. Of course the kids have all the power now, so you can’t do that or you just end up sucking and your opponents benefit.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
This ish is getting out of control. Sounds like the coach put him on blast a little bit by calling him out, but it should’ve been so much worse. That should have been a week riding the pine, then we’ll see if you change your mind or you can hit the bricks and go somewhere else. Of course the kids have all the power now, so you can’t do that or you just end up sucking and your opponents benefit.

See, that's the thing. At places that win, the kids don't need to "have the power", so to speak. By showing up and working toward the common goal, they end up getting what they want anyways.

Kids at places that consistently win at a high level probably get the special(sic) tights they want. But if they're not available, they for dayum sure ain't threatening to not play. Not because they fear punishment, but because they're not built to act that way.

That's what losing cultures don't get. Absent some details Payne is leaving out, which is possible, that kid should be off the team, full stop. He wouldn't be kept around at a place expecting to win.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
Reminds me of how we always knew in school which teachers we could manipulate and take advantage of who wouldn’t do anything in response. “Kids today”? That was decades ago.

You don’t wanna hire one of those teachers to coach a team, though.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I thought Miami might be a pretty decent team until yesterday. Wow, Colorado destroyed the U.

On Saturday UL and FSU both lost to unranked teams and ND lost to #8 Marquette by 19. Those three appear to be the cellar dwellers in the ACC this year.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

At the risk of political allegory, the problem is that winning is everything and the individual's integrity and moral character (think Greek ethos) is not relevant.

The kid would be gone if Payne didn't think he would be a net help this year to win more games IMHO. Payne's problem is probably also that he has a bench of players like that and they will transfer if he comes down on them.

In any event, saying this is public is not what I think a coach should do. It makes him look powerless and ineffective. Either shut up and endure or bench the guy without getting into reasons. Kind of like what Stoudamire did with Abram.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Young people make silly mistakes. I think Payne pointed to the bench and told him to get acquainted with it. Kids don't have the power to dictate playing time except through their behavior. On and off the court.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Louisville is a 4 point favorite over Arkansas State tonight at home. ASU is 3-7 on the year. Kenny Payne has his hands full at UL and it's sad that a buy game in December is this important to the program at UL.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Louisville is a 4 point favorite over Arkansas State tonight at home. ASU is 3-7 on the year. Kenny Payne has his hands full at UL and it's sad that a buy game in December is this important to the program at UL.

It's weird how inept he's been there. I wonder if he lasts past this year.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer

That's wild man. It's Louisville basketball. That should never be the case.

slugboy

Staff member
What are the odds that Payne finishes the year?

Gotta be low