Academic Standards

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I guess it’s just the elitist on this board that can criticize or make suggestions screw it y’all can have this board it’s no better than stingtalk

Surely you jest. Have you been on stingtalk? The atmosphere here is far different. A much older crowd here that is not into what passes as humor on stingtalk.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Which ones in particular are you talking about? I have seen Will, he seems very intelligent. I have seen TaQuan, he seems fine. I have seen Juene, he seems intelligent but somewhat reserved. I have seen Shamire, and he is exceptional.

I am really impressed with Marshall. Smart young man with a bubbling personality that just draws youngsters to him. Shamire? well, he is exceptional in more ways than one. But yes he is an intelligent man with a bright future NFL or not.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
With all due respect, have you listened to the player post game interviews? I've heard several that leave me confused about the "academics" claims.

Have you listened to other schools post game interviews? Look at it this way. They just got through a physically demanding game under duress and stressed out. Reporters will ask the most asinine "got cha" kinds of questions. What do you expect? A suave and sophisticated James Bond like presence? They are still, in most cases, kids. They are not yet versed in the nuances of handling media. A friend used to take me to Florida games and we would listen to post game locker room interviews with players. Some did OK, a few were well spoken and seemed intelligent, the vast majority were uncomfortable and could hardly string together more than monosyllabic answers. Absolutely, no comparison to Tech players.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
Here is the real actual truth. I know because well I know. It's not just Calculis ( did I spell it correct ?). That's not the hardest STEM. The whole damn school is hard. It's freeking GT. So in the old days when you could just need passing hours not counting towards anything... "Advisors" would make sure players ( GT players also ) were eligible but they were not going to
Graduate. Times changed. Every school
GT competes against created new majors. Let's see. Letters and Writing. Rsc Sports Mgt. Gen Studies. Pre Business. Add some society mjrs and don't forget the "Trent Thompson " major " fashion merchandizing "
... what these schools realized is that 45 dumbass football and basketball players don't ruin the academic reputation of a school w 30,000 students. These 45 idiots who prob got pushed thru HS because they were good at sports bring in millions of dollars to the schools. It's a business. They don't give a rats *** about the kids. I ask my doggie buddies to name 5 players off a roster from 5 years ago and none can. So GT is different. Damn right it is. We compete w players who are smart and everyone of them I have meet personally are respectful. No one questions our S/A's degree. Can we do better ? Are you willing to pony up the $$$$$$$$$$. Because we are Way Behind in the arms race. GT is not lowering the academic standards. To the guy who thinks we do forS/A's , GT did admit my 4.0 GPA Zell
Miller SAT score in the 10th grade S/A and if you come over to the rv lot W21, Sat after the game he will tell you he is the dumbest student in his class. You might get in but to stay in you have to compete w the smartest kids in America.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Here is the real actual truth. I know because well I know. It's not just Calculis ( did I spell it correct ?). That's not the hardest STEM. The whole damn school is hard. It's freeking GT. So in the old days when you could just need passing hours not counting towards anything... "Advisors" would make sure players ( GT players also ) were eligible but they were not going to
GT competes against created new majors. Let's see. Letters and Writing. Rsc Sports Mgt. Gen Studies. Pre Business. Add some society mjrs and don't forget the "Trent Thompson " major " fashion merchandizing "
... what these schools realized is that 45 dumbass football and basketball players don't ruin the academic reputation of a school w 30,000 students. These 45 idiots who prob got pushed thru HS because they were good at sports bring in millions of dollars to the schools. It's a business. They don't give a rats *** about the kids. I ask my doggie buddies to name 5 players off a roster from 5 years ago and none can. So GT is different. Damn right it is. We compete w players who are smart and everyone of them I have meet personally are respectful. No one questions our S/A's degree. Can we do better ? Are you willing to pony up the $$$$$$$$$$. Because we are Way Behind in the arms race. GT is not lowering the academic standards. To the guy who thinks we do forS/A's , GT did admit my 4.0 GPA Zell
Miller SAT score in the 10th grade S/A and if you come over to the rv lot W21, Sat after the game he will tell you he is the dumbest student in his class. You might get in but to stay in you have to compete w the smartest kids in America.

Well said.

THANK YOU !!!

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

If you haven't read Good to Great by Jim Collins, I suggest you do so. Collins studied hundreds of organizations (including sports teams) to find why some organizations outperform others.

Collins offered a framework for excellence, but one that sticks with me is his emphasis on "confront the brutal facts". He cites the story of James Stockdale, leader of the Viet Nam PO's and when asked "who didn't make it", Stockdale quickly responded, "the optimists". He went to say those who made it were those who absolutely knew the brutality of what they faced, but unwavered in their will to survive.

I think we are silly to whine about academics. We must confront the brutal facts and tell ourselves, "yes, our school is hard ... but we can and will produce champions". Constantly asking for more courses is a fool's path. It hasn't helped any of the 15 coaches, some hired at factory schools, that have been fired since CPJ came to Tech.

Resources are important ... but it's not just resources. It's Leadership (being absolutely committed to the process of getting better), Getting the Right People on Board (getting the right assistant coaches on board and the wrong ones off), its being the Best in the World at something (the Triple Option?), accelerating with Technology (or use of, as in innovation), and working the Flywheel ... rinsing and repeating until you are excellent.

Edwards Deming, the quality guru, summed it up: Constancy of Purpose is what ultimately produces the best results. Constantly swinging from this to that and back again is a poor way to manage pretty much anything.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
If you haven't read Good to Great by Jim Collins, I suggest you do so. Collins studied hundreds of organizations (including sports teams) to find why some organizations outperform others.

Collins offered a framework for excellence, but one that sticks with me is his emphasis on "confront the brutal facts". He cites the story of James Stockdale, leader of the Viet Nam PO's and when asked "who didn't make it", Stockdale quickly responded, "the optimists". He went to say those who made it were those who absolutely knew the brutality of what they faced, but unwavered in their will to survive.

I think we are silly to whine about academics. We must confront the brutal facts and tell ourselves, "yes, our school is hard ... but we can and will produce champions". Constantly asking for more courses is a fool's path. It hasn't helped any of the 15 coaches, some hired at factory schools, that have been fired since CPJ came to Tech.

Resources are important ... but it's not just resources. It's Leadership (being absolutely committed to the process of getting better), Getting the Right People on Board (getting the right assistant coaches on board and the wrong ones off), its being the Best in the World at something (the Triple Option?), accelerating with Technology (or use of, as in innovation), and working the Flywheel ... rinsing and repeating until you are excellent.

Edwards Deming, the quality guru, summed it up: Constancy of Purpose is what ultimately produces the best results. Constantly swinging from this to that and back again is a poor way to manage pretty much anything.
I did not say anything about using academics as a crutch , actually Its our only advantage for the right players. I said basically pony up $$$$$$$. It takes $$$$$$$ to recruit the entire country. The " right people" expect to get paid. GT has 1990 facilities in a 2017 arms race. Our Asst coaches combined make less than some ind asst coaches we compete against. Our football budget is less than Wake Forrest. Let that sink in.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I did not say anything about using academics as a crutch , actually Its our only advantage for the right players. I said basically pony up $$$$$$$. It takes $$$$$$$ to recruit the entire country. The " right people" expect to get paid. GT has 1990 facilities in a 2017 arms race. Our Asst coaches combined make less than some ind asst coaches we compete against. Our football budget is less than Wake Forrest. Let that sink in.

I wasn't responding to you specifically, but I've turned around enough companies that I think I speak with some experience. If we can raise more money and do it in a way that works for us, I'm all for that.

But it isn't JUST money. UT is in the Top 5 in terms of facilities in the country ... and look at them.

I love the movie Moneyball. We are not going to win an arms race. So, we have to win differently. That's my point. And guess what ... hundreds of organizations do the same.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
I wasn't responding to you specifically, but I've turned around enough companies that I think I speak with some experience. If we can raise more money and do it in a way that works for us, I'm all for that.

But it isn't JUST money. UT is in the Top 5 in terms of facilities in the country ... and look at them.

I love the movie Moneyball. We are not going to win an arms race. So, we have to win differently. That's my point. And guess what ... hundreds of organizations do the same.
True. I believe if GT can expand its " brand". Use Marketing like the school up the street. Reach out all over the country like Sanford does that your correct.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer

Can't speak for others but I agree with everything flea says. Especially "...pony up the $$$$$$" "Because we are Way Behind in the arms race". Truth hurts but can be a catalyst for change.