Academic Standards

JanKemp

Georgia Tech Fan
Will the standards ever be compromised? I think it would help tremendously if they just quit making all athletes take calculus and broaden the field of majors!!

Animal02

Banned
To those that say we can’t compete against the “factories” I guess we should look to change conferences. Cause apparently the acc is becoming all factory schools.
I don't think a lot of people said we cannot compete, but simply face the reality that Tech is not going to be a year in and year out top 20 contender. The childish whining because we are not close to or undefeated / ranked #1 is both funny and sad.

Who said that We needed to compete to be number 1 ummmmmm you did I didn’t but being competitive against acc bottom dwellers should not be difficult

What I have been reading from our base scholars is we shouldn’t expect to compete with factory schools ie Clemson ugag Miami FSU and pretty much any other school we play since they have “football” majors. That’s why I say if we aren’t gonna be competitive let’s step down a notch where we will be.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
To those that say we can’t compete against the “factories” I guess we should look to change conferences. Cause apparently the acc is becoming all factory schools.
The problem would get Worse cause the ACC pays so much more than the lower conferences . We need to find a way to compete . I don't know the answer . Maybe you have to spend money to make money. Easy to say hard to do .

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
What I have been reading from our base scholars is we shouldn’t expect to compete with factory schools ie Clemson ugag Miami FSU and pretty much any other school we play since they have “football” majors. That’s why I say if we aren’t gonna be competitive let’s step down a notch where we will be.
Why should we step down a notch when we get P5 revenue?

Animal02

Banned
The attitude of "stepping down is both asinine and childish.

Animal02

Banned
Who said that We needed to compete to be number 1 ummmmmm you did I didn’t but being competitive against acc bottom dwellers should not be difficult
Just about any D1 team can beat just about any other D1 team on a given day. You need to stop the pathetic childish whining. We have competed in every gave, nor have we been blown out. Has the ball fallen our way this year.....no. It is a frikkin GAME. played by 18-22 y.o.s Get over it.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Will the standards ever be compromised? I think it would help tremendously if they just quit making all athletes take calculus and broaden the field of majors!!

Well, technically we do compromise our standards to admit I would say 90+/- percent of our SAs. The vast majority of our scholarship SAs comes no where close to the average GPA and SAT scores the general student population has.

But, the brightside is we do recruit SAs that are capable of graduating, and we have a fantastic group of academic support staff that helps our SAs tremendously.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
His offense is a bigger hurdle than Tech’s standards. He will never admit it but it’s the truth. When it comes down to it and Tech gets into a battle late in the year with a big time offensive player Tech doesn’t lose blue chips because of academics it’s because we run a triple option that hasn’t put many RBs and QBs in the NFL. The one exception has been WR and Tech still struggles to recruit that position. I’m pissed Tech missed on Marlon Williams last year. He has 8 catches for 164 yards as a true freshman, 4 cahtces over 20 yards. That would be 2nd highest on the team if he was at Tech.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Yes, one of the eltie schools in the country should lower its standards simply to compete in games. :rolleyes:

How in the world is adding majors, or changing SOME requirements in SOME of our existing areas of study lowering the standards? Honest to heaven!

If that is a real concern then do away with ALL non-engineering & non-arch. majors.

Because, by some folks definition, we compromised the hell out of the school when we added IM, HST (or whatever it is) and other areas of study we have now.

And, if the truth be told, there was a time (and I was alive to see / hear it) when some "elitists" said we were lowering our standards by admitting non-whites and non-males as well.

Adding to our curriculum, without cheapening what is already there, will not compromise our standing one iota.

JanKemp

Georgia Tech Fan
This debate occurred in 1980 ... Tech seriously considered giving up sports. Fortunately, they hired Homer Rice and later, Bill Curry to lead the football team. Tech is competitive and will be more so under TStan. Just relax.
I bet you're talking about when Dr.Pettit was president

JanKemp

Georgia Tech Fan
I don't think a lot of people said we cannot compete, but simply face the reality that Tech is not going to be a year in and year out top 20 contender. The childish whining because we are not close to or undefeated / ranked #1 is both funny and sad.
I don't expect #1 all the time, but 1990 wasn't that long ago