Academic Standards

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
#1 ronjohn that is what has been said on this board genius by some alumni that we can’t compete with “factories”.
#2 I have read numerous times on this site about 1 in 6 grads are millionaires. Sick of the money excuse with this said.
#3 you better be glad I’m a sidewalk fan cause it’s pretty obvious we need all we can get

#1 I think a lot of people take what other people say and make it mean what they want it to mean. GT does a very good job of competing on the field most of the time with factory schools. GT cannot recruit some of the people that factory schools recruit. GT cannot afford the facilities and staff that factory schools have. GT can't compete with Clemson's $55 million football facility. However, GT can be competitive on the field. Too many people try to push their beliefs into what other people say instead of trying to understand.

#2 GT does have a lot of wealthy alumni. GT also has some not so wealthy alumni. Many students at GT, at least when I was there, were more concerned with school than with sports. It isn't a large percentage of the students that go to games, football or basketball. Alumni donate very generously to the academic side of the school. Life as a student at GT just did not rotate around parties and sports. Many of the alumni could care less about sports. I do pay attention, I do donate to the athletic department, and I do go to games.

#3 I am happy to have all of the GT fans, alumni or not, that GT can have. However, a true fan does not say that we are no better than an FCS team. FULL STOP.

I guess it’s just the elitist on this board that can criticize or make suggestions screw it y’all can have this board it’s no better than stingtalk

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I guess it’s just the elitist on this board that can criticize or make suggestions screw it y’all can have this board it’s no better than stingtalk

Point out something elitist that I have said. The only thing I have criticized you about is the suggestion that GT would be better off as an FCS team. In my opinion, that is a ridiculous statement.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
How many QBs played QB? How many RBs made it into a 3 deep or even the 2 deep? When I say put talent into the NFL I don't mean practice squads, even though that's a good accomplishment I meant actually start and play in the NFL. Also you can't count players until after 2012, some of those weren't Johnson's recruits.

If the question is does the offense prepare people for the NFL, then it doesn't matter who recruited them.

However, your point is that the offense is a bigger deal than the institution. So, how many QBs and RBs made the NFL, the 3deep or the 2deep in the 10 years, 20 years previous? Would they have made APR for each of their 4 years?

You can't just make a comparison claim and only refer to data on one side. The fact is that apart from 2007, our recruiting classes are about where they've been.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
The BOR is totally in the pocket of Athens. We have a few friends on the board but not many. Look at the articles from when they added engineering how things broke down.

We always have an excuse for everything.

“BOR is totally in the pocket of Athens ...”. Well grow a freaking pair.

Why the hell not demand as much of candy azz Peterson and those HillNerds as we pretend to do of the BOR?

When has Peterson asked for more majors or versatility from the BoR?

Animal02

Banned

Why the hell not demand as much of candy azz Peterson and those HillNerds as we pretend to do of the BOR?

You act as if having a great football team is top on the list of Alumni concerns.......I would hazard a guess that if the question was put to ALL alumni, watering down / expanding non STEM degrees etc to bolster football, or maintain the academic standards....the vote would not be close.
I wonder what the percentage of students that NEVER attend a football game is.....I bet it is substantial.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
Well, technically we do compromise our standards to admit I would say 90+/- percent of our SAs. The vast majority of our scholarship SAs comes no where close to the average GPA and SAT scores the general student population has.

But, the brightside is we do recruit SAs that are capable of graduating, and we have a fantastic group of academic support staff that helps our SAs tremendously.

Actually, I saw a report from a few years ago (within this decade) that said that at the time, GT had 4 football players on scholarship that we’re academic exceptions (the proper term may be exemptions), meaning only four out of the entire team did not meet the academic requirements, but were granted admission anyway. The same report stated that uga had over 70 members of the team that fell in this category. As a result, not only do you have the issue of the requirements to get into Tech, you also have a disproportionate number at the lesser school to the east with a higher number of people that normally wouldn’t qualify to even study their arduous degree programs such as agricultural communication, consumer foods, or furnishings & interiors (in other words, a 4 year degree to learn the difference between an ottoman and a dining room table).

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Exactly but the alums don’t care nor need for us sidewalk fans.
I strongly disagree.

I am an Alum and appreciate all GT sidewalk fans. In fact I appreciate them even more than those that are alums, because you "have a choice"!!!

Thanks to all GT sidewalk fans for supporting GT athletics.[emoji106]

Last edited:

herb

Helluva Engineer

Maybe they think their political capital is better spent trying to get other things accomplished

http://www.ajc.com/news/local/cobb-...ech-buy-lockheed-land/OcItz2EyikpDN0L8hLIz1K/

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Actually, I saw a report from about a few years ago (within this decade) that said that at the time, GT had 4 football players on scholarship that we’re academic exceptions (the proper term may be exemptions), meaning only four out of the entire team did not meet the academic requirements, but were granted admission anyway. The same report stated that uga had over 70 members of the team that fell in this category. As a result, not only do you have the issue of the requirements to get into Tech, you also have a disproportionate number at the lesser school to the east with a higher number of people that normally wouldn’t qualify to even study their arduous degree programs such as agricultural communication, consumer foods, or furnishings & interiors.

I saw that report as well. The thing to remember is that most SAs meet minimum standards to not be considered exceptions, but few would be at or above the mean student population in terms of grades/test scores. I think that was what the original poster was trying to convey.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
Some of y'all will hate me for this but I went to Tech, I went thru the torture called The Shaft, and got out somehow. I love watching college football and I understand the predicament of our football program with the unique challenges like no other school except the service academies. I don't want academics diluted for the sake of advancing sports. It is what it is and this is who we are... and I'm fine with it. Some of you forget that colleges exist for education. Tech has not forgotten that. Most other schools have.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Some of y'all will hate me for this but I went to Tech, I went thru the torture called The Shaft, and got out somehow. I love watching college football and I understand the predicament of our football program with the unique challenges like no other school except the service academies. I don't want academics diluted for the sake of advancing sports. It is what it is and this is who we are... and I'm fine with it. Some of you forget that colleges exist for education. Tech has not forgotten that. Most other schools have.

This is why I love GT. I went to the Coast Guard Academy, so I understand the pride of academics and rigor in elite universities. I pull for GT not only because my grandfather was a fan, but because of what they stand for. The easy thing for me would be to jump ship and join a factory bandwagon, but I bleed White and Gold (and tertiary blue @Supersizethatorder-mutt ) because GT has never caved on preparing its SAs for life by lessening the academics.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I strongly disagree.

I am an Alum and appreciate all GT sidewalk fans. In fact I appreciate them even more than those that alums, because you "have a choice"!!!

Thanks to all GT sidewalk fans for supporting GT athletics.[emoji106]

I really appreciate our sidewalk fans for this reason too. We alums can kind of get a pass from the georgie fans for sticking with our team. Those who choose to root for Tech from the outside have a different kind of emotional investment.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
#3 However, a true fan does not say that we are no better than an FCS team. FULL STOP.

Absolutely not true. A true fan wants us to be the best that we can be, and sometimes that starts with criticizing the status quo. The prevailing sentiment that “if you criticize our program, you aren’t a true fan” is complete, unadulterated BS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk