Above the Line / Depth Chart

slugboy

Staff member
Right now I don't care who starts but would like see to list a injured list of those who are out for week 1

You might not get that.

There’s no NCAA standard, and there are some legal hurdles to having one: https://www.espn.com/college-footba...aa-declines-implement-football-injury-reports

ACC discontinued them in 2018: https://accsports.com/acc-news/acc-football-league-wont-require-injury-reports-in-2018/

It’s possible that someone will let me know that my information is out of date.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I will say this.

I am not a fan of coach Paraneude. He's never had superstar success to me. We need an innovative young OC. Paraneude isn't going anywhere even if he does really well, which he won't. If he could be a successful OC for a power 5 school he would of been one by now. He is what 60?

I can't say I am a fan or not a fan. Too soon to tell. I actually think his experience is a good fit for the talent we have. The "hot, young innovator" thing is overrated when it comes to Coordinators.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
As far as coordinators, give me one that has been through the battles. Experienced enough to make adjustments on the fly. And to tell them what they need to change at halftime.
As far as socks, I don’t wear any from April to November unless on long walks.
ATL and depth charts. I could care less. Like a bulletin at church.
What did I leave out?:)

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I am willing to wait for the ATL chart published by Collins. KQ seems like a good guy, but this is just his opinion. Be patient and assume Collins knows what he is doing.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
You might not get that.

There’s no NCAA standard, and there are some legal hurdles to having one: https://www.espn.com/college-footba...aa-declines-implement-football-injury-reports

ACC discontinued them in 2018: https://accsports.com/acc-news/acc-football-league-wont-require-injury-reports-in-2018/

It’s possible that someone will let me know that my information is out of date.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks then I guess I won't know unless that want us to know.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I have said before and I still think this is the case: this ATL stuff is for the fans. Any coach who goes into a game without a depth chart is asking for it and will probably get it. I'm pretty sure Coach knows who he'll put in, when, and at what position.

Probably good for team morale, however.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Dude, ya'll were 7-1 in conference play and a whisker from beating UCF last year. I think you're underselling a bit here.
but that conference included 3-win Navy, ECU and UConn, the latter two who were beyond dreadful.
I looked at Temple's boxes from last year and there were some good wins. And one or two that were meh (like a win over Tulsa, playing on a short week). Plus, bad losses. Villanova, for instance. Temple was 0-2 before making a QB switch that seemed to pay dividends.

Here's what I got told on Collins from a source:
He checks the following boxes - relates well to 18 year olds, has character and understands Tech.
There was one box that wasn't checked off - they don't know if he can win football games.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
but that conference included 3-win Navy, ECU and UConn, the latter two who were beyond dreadful.
I looked at Temple's boxes from last year and there were some good wins. And one or two that were meh (like a win over Tulsa, playing on a short week). Plus, bad losses. Villanova, for instance. Temple was 0-2 before making a QB switch that seemed to pay dividends.

He checks the following boxes - relates well to 18 year olds, has character and understands Tech.
There was one box that wasn't checked off - they don't know if he can win football games.

He was able to win a football game against USF in 2018. That would’ve been nice.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

They are in the AAC, so not sure what signature wins ya'll expect. Who did CPJ beat at GaSou and Navy? He was just as much of an unknown in terms of whether he could win P5 games as Head Coach...as was Gailey, as was O-Leary.

Last edited:

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
They are in the AAC, so not sure what signature wins ya'll expect. Who did CPJ beat at GaSou and Navy? He was just as much of an unknown in terms of whether he could win P5 games as Head Coach...as was Gailey, as was O-Leary.
Omg, u have compared cgc to cpj.
Here we go.
Please always use a general comparison.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer

The checked boxes will lead to wins. Recruiting is 60%, or more, of the battle.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
I will say this.

I am not a fan of coach Paraneude. He's never had superstar success to me. We need an innovative young OC. Paraneude isn't going anywhere even if he does really well, which he won't. If he could be a successful OC for a power 5 school he would of been one by now. He is what 60?
Seems like a pretty superficial view. Care to give up some detail on his career or have you not bothered to check him out?

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
As far as coordinators, give me one that has been through the battles. Experienced enough to make adjustments on the fly. And to tell them what they need to change at halftime.
As far as socks, I don’t wear any from April to November unless on long walks.
ATL and depth charts. I could care less. Like a bulletin at church.
What did I leave out?:)
You left out that our DC is ~35 years old and we also appreciate the young gun coordinators as well ;)

GT99

Georgia Tech Fan
I have said before and I still think this is the case: this ATL stuff is for the fans. Any coach who goes into a game without a depth chart is asking for it and will probably get it. I'm pretty sure Coach knows who he'll put in, when, and at what position.

Probably good for team morale, however.

I think they can and do have both (even if it's not published). You can obviously only have a set number of guys at 1st and 2nd strings. With "above the line", it's basically saying "you can contribute in a game" - you may have 2 or 3 guys ahead of you, but it tells the player they are good enough to contribute even if they're not the best or 2nd best option at the moment. But they clearly will go into games with a plan for who's starting and who the next man up will be.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
I guess I see the ATL thing as an answer to something of an age old problem in college football - the player that practices poorly but comes alive in games and the player that is a hoss in practice but goes AWOL in games. Obviously the player that practices and plays well winds up in the ATL, but now the other two combinations are somewhat addressed. Might be a good thing if Collins is planning on playing 40 or 50 against Clemson score be damned to see who can hold his own against great competition. I fully expect there are some that are ATL going into the game but come out BTL.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Has anyone heard how well Nathan Cottrell is performing in practice. Seems to be off the radar at the moment.

It seems a safe bet to say that he is Above the Line. Seems they were flirting with moving him to the slot early on, but it's looking like he's going to be more of an All Purpose Back at this point. He looks a good bit bigger and stronger.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I discovered this weekend that a former Clemson cheerleader lives in Oriental and is still somewhat connected to the football team. She said the folks in Clemson do not think GT can compete with them and the coaches have more focus on Texas A&M. If they are correct, we may see a lot of people playing just to see who has the toughness (both mental and physical) to play deeper into the schedule. My expectation is that we will try to compete for as long as we can. If that's for four quarters I believe we will make sure we have our best players on the field as much as possible. Developing a culture is great, but winning games is better.