1. Welcome to Georgia Tech Swarm! JOIN US and be a part of the SWARM! GO JACKETS! THWg!

Above the Line / Depth Chart

Discussion in 'Georgia Tech Football' started by GTFLETCH, Aug 17, 2019.

1. slugboy

slugboy Moderator Staff Member

You might not get that.

There’s no NCAA standard, and there are some legal hurdles to having one: https://www.espn.com/college-footba...aa-declines-implement-football-injury-reports

ACC discontinued them in 2018: https://accsports.com/acc-news/acc-football-league-wont-require-injury-reports-in-2018/

It’s possible that someone will let me know that my information is out of date.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. smokey_wasp

smokey_wasp Helluva Engineer

I can't say I am a fan or not a fan. Too soon to tell. I actually think his experience is a good fit for the talent we have. The "hot, young innovator" thing is overrated when it comes to Coordinators.

ThatGuy and LargeFO like this.
  3. Oldgoldandwhite

Oldgoldandwhite Helluva Engineer

As far as coordinators, give me one that has been through the battles. Experienced enough to make adjustments on the fly. And to tell them what they need to change at halftime.
    As far as socks, I don’t wear any from April to November unless on long walks.
    ATL and depth charts. I could care less. Like a bulletin at church.
    What did I leave out?:)

ThatGuy and vamosjackets like this.
  4. orientalnc

orientalnc Helluva Engineer

I am willing to wait for the ATL chart published by Collins. KQ seems like a good guy, but this is just his opinion. Be patient and assume Collins knows what he is doing.

5. stech81

stech81 Helluva Engineer

Thanks then I guess I won't know unless that want us to know.

6. Oakland

Oakland Helluva Engineer

Has anyone heard how well Nathan Cottrell is performing in practice. Seems to be off the radar at the moment.

boger2337 likes this.
  7. takethepoints

takethepoints Helluva Engineer

I have said before and I still think this is the case: this ATL stuff is for the fans. Any coach who goes into a game without a depth chart is asking for it and will probably get it. I'm pretty sure Coach knows who he'll put in, when, and at what position.

Probably good for team morale, however.

GTNavyNuke likes this.
  8. swampsting

swampsting Helluva Engineer

but that conference included 3-win Navy, ECU and UConn, the latter two who were beyond dreadful.
    I looked at Temple's boxes from last year and there were some good wins. And one or two that were meh (like a win over Tulsa, playing on a short week). Plus, bad losses. Villanova, for instance. Temple was 0-2 before making a QB switch that seemed to pay dividends.

Here's what I got told on Collins from a source:
    He checks the following boxes - relates well to 18 year olds, has character and understands Tech.
    There was one box that wasn't checked off - they don't know if he can win football games.

9. knoxjacket

knoxjacket Helluva Engineer

He was able to win a football game against USF in 2018. That would’ve been nice.

10. smokey_wasp

They are in the AAC, so not sure what signature wins ya'll expect. Who did CPJ beat at GaSou and Navy? He was just as much of an unknown in terms of whether he could win P5 games as Head Coach...as was Gailey, as was O-Leary.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    ThatGuy likes this.
  11. iceeater1969

iceeater1969 Helluva Engineer

Omg, u have compared cgc to cpj.
    Here we go.
    Please always use a general comparison.

12. smokey_wasp

Sorry. Lol. I am just not sure what some want. As if proven P5 coaches grow on trees and we could afford one.

rfripp68 likes this.
  13. 684Bee

684Bee Helluva Engineer

The checked boxes will lead to wins. Recruiting is 60%, or more, of the battle.

GTFootball2018 likes this.
  14. ncjacket79

ncjacket79 Helluva Engineer

Seems like a pretty superficial view. Care to give up some detail on his career or have you not bothered to check him out?

15. CuseJacket

CuseJacket Administrator Staff Member

You left out that our DC is ~35 years old and we also appreciate the young gun coordinators as well ;)

GT14 and slugboy like this.
  16. 33jacket

33jacket Helluva Engineer

a guy who is a tweener and a bit lost as a result so to speak. But has given great effort and leadership and is playing well. We will see him in the slot, 3rd down back type stuff, special teams. He will play alot....

rfripp68, GT14, Oakland and 2 others like this.
  17. GT99

GT99 Jolly Good Fellow

I think they can and do have both (even if it's not published). You can obviously only have a set number of guys at 1st and 2nd strings. With "above the line", it's basically saying "you can contribute in a game" - you may have 2 or 3 guys ahead of you, but it tells the player they are good enough to contribute even if they're not the best or 2nd best option at the moment. But they clearly will go into games with a plan for who's starting and who the next man up will be.

18. redmule

redmule Helluva Engineer

I guess I see the ATL thing as an answer to something of an age old problem in college football - the player that practices poorly but comes alive in games and the player that is a hoss in practice but goes AWOL in games. Obviously the player that practices and plays well winds up in the ATL, but now the other two combinations are somewhat addressed. Might be a good thing if Collins is planning on playing 40 or 50 against Clemson score be damned to see who can hold his own against great competition. I fully expect there are some that are ATL going into the game but come out BTL.

19. smokey_wasp

It seems a safe bet to say that he is Above the Line. Seems they were flirting with moving him to the slot early on, but it's looking like he's going to be more of an All Purpose Back at this point. He looks a good bit bigger and stronger.

20. orientalnc

orientalnc Helluva Engineer

I discovered this weekend that a former Clemson cheerleader lives in Oriental and is still somewhat connected to the football team. She said the folks in Clemson do not think GT can compete with them and the coaches have more focus on Texas A&M. If they are correct, we may see a lot of people playing just to see who has the toughness (both mental and physical) to play deeper into the schedule. My expectation is that we will try to compete for as long as we can. If that's for four quarters I believe we will make sure we have our best players on the field as much as possible. Developing a culture is great, but winning games is better.