Above the Line / Depth Chart

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
No

And kq would likely be posting his thoughts here.

For instance i was told on D tk is 1 with martin. Maybe not true.

MH55

Banned
You are not going to get a depth chart w Collins. He strictly uses the "ATL" which basically consists of every eligible healthy player on the roster listed "ATL." Not sure why he implements this strategy because it certainly drove us crazy as he used 4 Quarterbacks over 2 seasons until he and Pataneude finally got it right.

I see he is implementing the "single digit" jersey number recognition system. He got that from Temple which utilized it before he came there.

I was ok with Collins. He continued our winning. He also had 3-4 terrible losses. I think his recruiting was bad @ Temple. I felt like he won with Matt Rhule's players. Rhule was a fantastic recruiter and we have put more guys in the NFL than University of Texas over the last couple seasons. Anyhow, I believe he will do better in the south. He wore these ridiculous pants for several games before he finally replaced them w Mens pants.

Dt0soRBU0AE6GPo.jpg:large

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
You are not going to get a depth chart w Collins. He strictly uses the "ATL" which basically consists of every eligible healthy player on the roster listed "ATL." Not sure why he implements this strategy because it certainly drove us crazy as he used 4 Quarterbacks over 2 seasons until he and Pataneude finally got it right.

I see he is implementing the "single digit" jersey number recognition system. He got that from Temple which utilized it before he came there.

I was ok with Collins. He continued our winning. He also had 3-4 terrible losses. I think his recruiting was bad @ Temple. I felt like he won with Matt Rhule's players. Rhule was a fantastic recruiter and we have put more guys in the NFL than University of Texas over the last couple seasons. Anyhow, I believe he will do better in the south. He wore these ridiculous pants for several games before he finally replaced them w Mens pants.

Dt0soRBU0AE6GPo.jpg:large

Lol interesting insight. What did you think about the offense/defense and how he managed games?

MH55

Banned
Collins inherited a very good team. We won the AAC Championship in 2016 and would have received an Access Bowl as the best G5 bid team had Western Michigan not had undefeated season. We then went 7-6 and 8-5 respectively after Collins took over. They were respectable seasons.

As I mentioned, he lost 2 games in both '17 & '18 that were real head scratchers. On the other hand, he rebounded and finished strong in each year. He could have lost the team each season and he marshalled resources, changed course and got us in a Bowl game. We did not really compete for the AAC title in either season. We didnt have an experienced QB and UCF, in our division was a better team.

I understand GT's QB situation is murky. I would watch how he and Pataneude handle it. Our fans were not happy w the players they chose as starter, particularly in his first season. Of course, 20/20 hindsight....

Collins is very much a 21st Century Sports Coach. Very media savvy, works the apps and markets himself well. Definitely likes his gimmicks. He implemented something called the "money down" where students were handed fake dollar bills w his picture on them to be tossed in the air on defense for 3rd down inspiration. Personally, im good w anything that creates enthusiasm but some people didnt like it, especially when we throwing the bills around while losing to an FCS opponent.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Collins inherited a very good team. We won the AAC Championship in 2016 and would have received an Access Bowl as the best G5 bid team had Western Michigan not had undefeated season. We then went 7-6 and 8-5 respectively after Collins took over. They were respectable seasons.

As I mentioned, he lost 2 games in both '17 & '18 that were real head scratchers. On the other hand, he rebounded and finished strong in each year. He could have lost the team each season and he marshalled resources, changed course and got us in a Bowl game. We did not really compete for the AAC title in either season. We didnt have an experienced QB and UCF, in our division was a better team.

I understand GT's QB situation is murky. I would watch how he and Pataneude handle it. Our fans were not happy w the players they chose as starter, particularly in his first season. Of course, 20/20 hindsight....

Collins is very much a 21st Century Sports Coach. Very media savvy, works the apps and markets himself well. Definitely likes his gimmicks. He implemented something called the "money down" where students were handed fake dollar bills w his picture on them to be tossed in the air on defense for 3rd down inspiration. Personally, im good w anything that creates enthusiasm but some people didnt like it, especially when we throwing the bills around while losing to an FCS opponent.

Dude, ya'll were 7-1 in conference play and a whisker from beating UCF last year. I think you're underselling a bit here.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Why is everyone saying the money down thing something new or he invented?

It’s called money down bc:

1: you going to your money subpackages majority of the time on 3rd down (Nickel, Dime, Dollar)

2) This is where your proverbial “money is made” 3rd down defense

Also, didn’t compete for AAC? You were 7-1 and should’ve beat UCF

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer

I think you guys are overselling what you had when he got there. Many losses from the previous year’s team with unproven replacements just from looking at the rosters.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Why is everyone saying the money down thing something new or he invented?

It’s called money down bc:

1: you going to your money subpackages majority of the time on 3rd down (Nickel, Dime, Dollar)

2) This is where your proverbial “money is made” 3rd down defense

Also, didn’t compete for AAC? You were 7-1 and should’ve beat UCF

Its called negativity. Every fan has it depending on if they like the coach or not. Just like all those for cpj’s who are negative on collins and vice versa. Want to demean the good to show the flaws.

Been happening around here since inception lol

MH55

Banned
I didn’t come to troll, I just offered a little experience w the ATL thing. I was asked for more perspective.

I mentioned our slow starts and bad losses. Last year, we opened w two home losses, to FCS Villanova & Buffalo. Those were terrible. We then turned the season around and finished strong.

One of the big reasons, if not the biggest, was going to the 4th QB, Anthony Russo. He is now a legit nfl prospect. He was QB #4 under Collins/Paraneude over 2 seasons....the bizarre ATL thing. Incidentally, all 4 were recruited by Rhule.

I’m not hurt Collins left. It’s what coaches do. I’m just providing my opinion and my opinion is Collins cashed and Georgia Tech overpaid. Baylor hired away a far superior coach in Rhule than you paid for. We’ll all see....

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I didn’t come to troll, I just offered a little experience w the ATL thing. I was asked for more perspective.

I mentioned our slow starts and bad losses. Last year, we opened w two home losses, to FCS Villanova & Buffalo. Those were terrible. We then turned the season around and finished strong.

One of the big reasons, if not the biggest, was going to the 4th QB, Anthony Russo. He is now a legit nfl prospect. He was QB #4 under Collins/Paraneude over 2 seasons....the bizarre ATL thing. Incidentally, all 4 were recruited by Rhule.

I’m not hurt Collins left. It’s what coaches do. I’m just providing my opinion and my opinion is Collins cashed and Georgia Tech overpaid. Baylor hired away a far superior coach in Rhule than you paid for. We’ll all see....

Thanks. Appreciate the thoughts.

We needed a change after 11 years, which is much longer tenure than the typical coach. Our last three coaches ended up with the same Power Ranking, but hopefully this time is different. It'll take a couple years to see and so far there is more interest and enthusiasm than there has recently been.

I love the OP idea that we are going to see a lot more players every game. Find out who is the best game day player and also who is beat up and not playing as well as the next man.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

Appreciate your thoughts. Will take them with a grain of the salt that's in them, though. ;)

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Why do you find the ATL strategy bizarre? It's unconventional, sure, but it sounds like Russo only got his shot because the ATL strategy meant he'd get his chance to play. Seemed to work as intended. Personally, I feel ATL is one of the more clever things Collins has implemented at Georgia Tech.

We're experiencing a shift in college football towards something more akin to free agency in the transfer market. A lot of the time, transfers are caused by lack of playing time or being pinned as a career backup. However, if you establish that your #2 LB will be getting nearly as many snaps as the starter if they prove to the staff they deserve it, then it should mitigate player transfers. Frankly, we had astonishingly low attrition this off-season for a coaching transition and I partially credit the ATL for that.

I also think it's good because it should keep players healthier and develop your backups more quickly as they receive more snaps. The obvious drawback is that you might not always have your best players in at all times, but a fresh backup can often outperform a tired starter for a spell. Though, like anything else, we'll see if theory works in practice this season.

Can you comment on how much the Temple players bought into Collins' culture? Because the GT players have shown a level of commitment that has even surprised the coaching staff (probably the biggest reason for our player retention). They all seem to love Collins, his energy, his staff, and his "gimmicks," and we've seen an influx of three 4* transfers and one 5* who all love it as well. The vibe I get is that the Temple fans were accustomed to Rhule's style and never totally bought into what Collins was selling, so my thought process was that this was shared with the Temple players. You think that's accurate?