A worrisome stat

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
You can point to any number of things as causing our three loses. Giving up big plays at key times, special team blunders, failing to make 4 and 1s, and others. But Ken said this morning that our longest running play in those three games is 25 yards. That ain't us. We are going to have a hard time beating anybody if that doesn't change.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Well the only way that can improve is better blocking (interior and/or exterior) or one of our athletes makes a great individual play.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
You can point to any number of things as causing our three loses. Giving up big plays at key times, special team blunders, failing to make 4 and 1s, and others. But Ken said this morning that our longest running play in those three games is 25 yards. That ain't us. We are going to have a hard time beating anybody if that doesn't change.
Defenses are smart in keying on stopping JeT and we just don't have the playmakers, cohesiveness or precision on offense to counter this strategy. They're forcing us to grind it out til we make a mistake and that's been working to perfection for them.

BuzzbaitGT

Georgia Tech Fan

On the other hand, it's the series of medium and medium-long gains to continuously move the sticks that makes for a "Paul Johnson Death March."

Not complaining about the 50+ yard TD runs, of course. Just pointing out that the clock-consuming, disheartening death marches typically don't have the long running plays.

Of course, the offense needs to run more cleanly and more efficiently for both death marches and for creating opportunities for long TD runs. I'm still holding out hope for this season. After all, it was the Navy blogger "Bird Dog" who first pointed out to us that CPJ's spread option attack typically doesn't start clicking on all cylinders until the leaves start to turn. I would imagine this point would be underscored in an injury-plagued season featuring less experienced players in the two-deep lineup.

But the leaves are just beginning to turn in my neighborhood, and the Tigers are about due for a #Clemsoning moment. ...

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
If any running play goes longer than 25 yards its because a receiver took out a safety or cornerback or something.

What was that other thread about Brad Stewart going out for a pass when he's not allowed to catch one?

Hmmmm.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Seems we are all hinting that we are not full of athletes playing well on Saturday or we dont seem to be motivated with what have playing......Looks like recruiting has caught up with us........just my take on it..

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
Seems we are all hinting that we are not full of athletes playing well on Saturday or we dont seem to be motivated with what have playing......Looks like recruiting has caught up with us........just my take on it..

I'll get flamed for this by his worshipers but....

CPJ has caught up with us.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I have pretty vivid memories of BS breaking free for about 50 at ND? No? It doesn't change the thrust of the point, but I think the facts are wrong.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Against UNC, there were a few runs nicely set up for huge gains, where our guy was a yard shy speed-wise of breaking a long one. It wasn't the blocking or the scheme, it was just a lack of nitro. Sorry to break the news, but it is what it is. We need our fast guys back in there.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Against UNC, there were a few runs nicely set up for huge gains, where our guy was a yard shy speed-wise of breaking a long one. It wasn't the blocking or the scheme, it was just a lack of nitro. Sorry to break the news, but it is what it is. We need our fast guys back in there.

And to think in '16 (no, I'm not writing off the '15 season) we get back Benson, Cottrell, JJ Green. All known burners!!! Add it all the walking wounded from this year it will be a very deep and very talented group of A backs!

Mack

Helluva Engineer
I'll get flamed for this by his worshipers but....

CPJ has caught up with us.
Well if we had a excuse page it would be filled quickly....what I see is not pretty on Saturday and sure most of the folks will agree.......said eight and four at first of year with NC and Dook as probable wins........now not so sure we can run the table.......we ,I hope ,will rebound.

GTL

Jolly Good Fellow
I have pretty vivid memories of BS breaking free for about 50 at ND? No? It doesn't change the thrust of the point, but I think the facts are wrong.
I think that run was called back for holding?

I could be thinking of a different play.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
We aren't going to beat anybody if we don't have runs greater than 25 yds? Oh heavens what have we become?

Elizabeth...I'm comin' to see ya!!!

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think that run was called back for holding?

I could be thinking of a different play.
No, it wasn't called back. We scored a couple plays later. It is in the official box score as a 48 yard run. Whatever, the point remains the same. We have had a single run over 25 yards in 3 games.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
My apologies; Boomer is right. I went back and reread the article. The 25 yards was for the last two games, not three.
No prob. Look, I understand we all (well, most of us) like to get our facts right. However, your basic point in the OP remains unchanged. We haven't been explosive lately. When our offense is right, there is a nice combination of explosion plays and long drives. We need both really.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I love to see a long, time consuming drive as much as anyone, so long as it ends in GT having seven more points. The problem as I see it is that too much can go wrong against a good defense. I really don't care if it takes two minutes or eight minutes, so long as at the end we have seven more points.

Which reminds me of something else. I wonder how serious the talk of a quick tempo offense is. It goes against our long successful strategy of keeping the ball away from the other team's offense, I know. Still, I would like to see it tried at least once. Justin must by now have a pretty deep understanding of what to call when. He can see the way the defense is lining up. If we give them no chance to make adjustments, it might lead to confusion and players out of position which he could take advantage of.