A Thread to Rehash GT HC Comparisons

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Please stop saying this is a re-build. The team he took over won 7 games and went to a bowl. He decided to tear down what was there and not use any of the personnel or at least gradually move into something else. If it is said changing schemes is re-build, well CPJ came into a rebuild and won 9 games year 1 and 11 the next with an ACC championship. What I am seeing looks a lot like 1993.
This is such a stupid take. LSU went 15-0 and won the national title with one of CFBs greatest all-time teams last year. Guess what they’re in right now? A rebuild. Is winning 7 games with a senior QB in year 11 of a coach’s tenure supposed to be impressive? Because it’s not.

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
What a load of revisionist BS!

The previous HC that quit on us, walked into 4 future NFL DLinemen, all 4 would have earned 2 d contracts had Daryl Richard not gotten his MBA & walked away from the NFL

3 of the 4 DBs played in the NFL with 2 of those guys getting a 2nd NFL Contract

At least 1 of the LBs made the NFL

On Offense Gardner got at least 2 NFL Contracts as did Bebe, I think Claytor at one point made the NFL

Dwyer was an NFL players, Nesbitt made an NFL practice sqd at Strong Safety a testament to his overall athleticism

In summary, the previous HC walked into a sh*tload of Talent on the Roster, and before you criticize CGC, maybe you should answer the question why the Previous HC didn't leave the Roster with same Talent level as he found it

Imagine how much better Sims & Gibbs would be if we had 2 future NFL OLs & 4 future NFL DLs?

Imagine how many fewer INTs Sims would have if he could play it safe & let the Defense get a stop and then go back to Off rather than making risky throws?

Being strong on both LoS's changes the QB's decisions and it changes the strategy that the coordinators use during the Game

If you really knew CFB, then you'd realize how much the poor Recruiting of the previous HC has left behind a toxic Roster that poisons every decision relating to GT FB
I agree paul walked into a goldmine of talent , but I was thinking Cgc would be doing better by now

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
IMO - We are still not landing the talent needed to compete for the Coastal, much less the ACC. We might be rebuilding, but the third recruiting cycle doesn’t appear to be significantly different than Collins’ first two. The talent is better suited for the offense though.
This is where so many fans frustrate me. Do you have any clue as to when Collins was hired and when his “first class” had to sign? He was hired on December 7 and that first class was signed on February 6. That’s less than 2 months. And he honored the Johnson commits. I wish he hadn’t because he is now getting blasted by fans like you for guys he didn’t even recruit. And he is competing against Saban, Malhzan, Smart, Swinney, FSU, Muschamp, Tennessee all within a 4-5 hour drive from Atlanta. His 2nd class was outstanding considering he had only about a year to build relationships.

And not for nothing, but Coach Johnson hadn’t been competing for Coastal titles at the end either. His stubbornness to adapt caused him to limp into retirement. I loved the complexities of his offense but he got stubborn and lazy on the recruiting front. And GT paid for it his last few years and are still paying for it now. Take away the cupcakes and tell me Johnson’s big wins his last 3 seasons? I’ll save you the time - we beat the Hokies a few times and beat UGA in 2016. That’s about it unless you want to count wins against the ACC trash like UVA and UNC in those days.

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
CPJ was the most successful Tech coach since Dodd. So many of you fail to truly understand that Georgia Tech is more like the service academies than many of our ACC brethren. Or maybe we are Vandy....but a hell of a lot more successful. Academics will always keep us at a disadvantage. But that being said look at what we accomplish....until now...
You are joking right ? You’ve heard of Bobby Ross & George O’Leary ?

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Because what we are seeing right now is blowing our socks off.
Smh
Is there not a difference in impressive and average? Tech is a bad team right now. 2018’s Tech team was average. Being average is no better than being bad when it comes to perception. 7 wins in a 13 game schedule that included an FCS win, a G5 win, and a G5 loss for a team in year 11 with a senior starting at QB is not impressive. Turning over the offense for that team is the very definition of a “rebuild”, and that’s the argument that’s being presented. Could Tech be playing better than we currently are? Probably, but that doesn’t negate the fact that we’re in a textbook rebuild

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree paul walked into a goldmine of talent , but I was thinking Cgc would be doing better by now
Based on what? What did Paul leave him talent-wise that makes you think he should be winning in year 2? We had zero tight ends on the roster and a bunch of players that we beat out G5 and FCS schools for. Our lines were ridiculously undersized because Paul needed linemen that were fast enough to dive on the ground and try to trip people.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I don't think anyone has claimed that we will be getting consistent top 10 classes. I feel like most people believe we can be in the 20s with years where we can get in the teens with some luck.
We have been told over and over Elite talent, elite recruiting. We've been told it's easier to recruit here than Alabama, go look it up.

High 30's low 20's with a magical year in the teens is not elite. That's mississippi state. Go look up their record. We will be lucky to see a record (win-loss) anything like that btw.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
We have been told over and over Elite talent, elite recruiting. We've been told it's easier to recruit here than Alabama, go look it up.

High 30's low 20's with a magical year in the teens is not elite. That's mississippi state. Go look up their record. We will be lucky to see a record (win-loss) anything like that btw.
Then we are doing better they only have one win this year :)

Cc10221022

Georgia Tech Fan
Wow!

Just wow

You need to learn something about P5 CFB before you make silly remarks

Him hugging the players in lieu of chewing them out isn't gonna change the way they play

Our 280ish to 290ish DLinemen that aren't quick or fast aren't gonna suddenly play as if they are 6-4 330lb NFL caliber 3rd & 4th round future draft picks because the HC or the DC screams at them on the sideline

Pwr5 CFB demands talent, in the Trenches first & foremost, and thanks to the previous HC, that is where we are the weakest

It is easy as heck to find small & medium sized Players that can run, Coaches earn their Pay by finding big Players that can also run

Screaming & outdated sideline theatrics are worth less than nothing wrt players actually playing better

I wish CGC got a lot more respect for what he's trying to do , instead of the constant drive by attacks on his "coaching ability"
Agreed that you need to have the horses to compete and we have few. I’m afraid this guy is a lot of hot air with little substance though. Defense is consistently out of position, and can’t tackle. The last time I checked those things have nothing to do with being smaller than our opponents. Six games in and we still can’t attempt, must lest make a field goal. Again has nothing to do with being smaller than our opponents. An has not pocket presence and can’t hold onto the ball even when he is untouched. Again not about lack of size. You have no idea who I am, I have probably forgotten more about p5 football than you know 😁

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Bull.
Taquan was an A-back. We had to pay him at qb because all the other guys were injured or not game ready.
Then why wasn’t there another QB on the roster better than Taquan? Yeah, attrition and injuries happen, but he had 5 years to bring in somebody else and didn’t.
In case you forgot this is the ND post game thread. Give me some other excuse as to why this team is bad this year.
I’m literally not making excuses lol. I’m responding to a post that said Tech wasn’t in a rebuild because we won 7 games in 2018. That’s not even close to true.

A Love Supreme

Ramblin' Wreck
CPJ was the most successful Tech coach since Dodd. So many of you fail to truly understand that Georgia Tech is more like the service academies than many of our ACC brethren. Or maybe we are Vandy....but a hell of a lot more successful. Academics will always keep us at a disadvantage. But that being said look at what we accomplish....until now...
I think people also forget that Paul Johnson won championships and was already a successful head coach many years before he came to GT. Coach Collins was and still is unproven as a head coach. The AD took a big gamble hiring Collins who hasn't won anything to take over the program.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
Agreed that you need to have the horses to compete and we have few. I’m afraid this guy is a lot of hot air with little substance though. Defense is consistently out of position, and can’t tackle. The last time I checked those things have nothing to do with being smaller than our opponents. Six games in and we still can’t attempt, must lest make a field goal. Again has nothing to do with being smaller than our opponents. An has not pocket presence and can’t hold onto the ball even when he is untouched. Again not about lack of size. You have no idea who I am, I have probably forgotten more about p5 football than you know 😁
Likely true

THWG

Helluva Engineer

It's a good thing that we don't play in the SEC then where about 8 teams finish ahead of MSU in recruiting on an average basis. If we can get in the 20s, that would be good for about 5th in the ACC typically. Get that class in and then develop them which is another key point of this staff, go look it up. We have to get those classes and then the coaches need to develop them into teams that can compete with ND, Clem, and ugag. I know that people don't think this staff is capable of that, but their recruits are true freshmen. As it has been mentioned Collins has only had 1.5 recruiting classes here and he has only had his first full class on campus since June which has been messed up because of COVID. Just give it some time.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
It's a good thing that we don't play in the SEC then where about 8 teams finish ahead of MSU in recruiting on an average basis. If we can get in the 20s, that would be good for about 5th in the ACC typically. Get that class in and then develop them which is another key point of this staff, go look it up. We have to get those classes and then the coaches need to develop them into teams that can compete with ND, Clem, and ugag. I know that people don't think this staff is capable of that, but their recruits are true freshmen. As it has been mentioned Collins has only had 1.5 recruiting classes here and he has only had his first full class on campus since June which has been messed up because of COVID. Just give it some time.
Lol I don't have time to reply to the whole post right now, but I'm slightly turnt and it's hilarious your said 1.5 recruiting class. Idk why that's so funny

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Lol I don't have time to reply to the whole post right now, but I'm slightly turnt and it's hilarious your said 1.5 recruiting class. Idk why that's so funny
He's only had 1.5 really. When he came in, he honored the players CPJ had signed and then went out and got Brown and Griffin in 2 months of recruiting. So really, it's more like 1.05 recruiting classes.

RespectAPA

Georgia Tech Fan
People really saying CPJ's offensive success was just because of the players he inherited?

What's the slant for all the other years the offense was signficantly better than the defense on an accurately-adjusted basis? 2011, 2012, **2014**, 2016, **2018**? And the years not mentioned, the offense was still better [sans 2015], just not by the crazy amounts as in those main 5 years.

Something I find interesting:
When we're talking shotgun spread coaches, the solution to not meeting expectations is to bring in a different shotgun spread coach; when we're talking flexbone coaches, the solution to not meeting expectations is to completely give up on the scheme--not matter how well the offense has been playing during his tenure? I'm dead serious, looking at the data it's hard to imagine what more the fans could have wanted! [granted, some people are probably staring at OYPG and DYPG, without any awareness of how those metrics are inherently biased against offenses that run fewer plays per game than the average offense; can't blame those people too much, unless they stubbornly defend YPG as being the end-all-be-all, in which case I will happily blame them] And yet, when a coach has an odd scheme, it always has to be that scheme's fault--after all, shotgun spread offenses never get stuffed by top 4 defenses, right? [pay no mind to Clemson holding Notre Dame to 3 points in 2018, or Georgia holding Auburn to 6 points this year]

CPJ wasn't the future of the program, sure. His defensive coaching and recruiting just wasn't up to P5 par, and there's little reason to believe that would change. Monken should have been given a chance to see what he could do. [and Bohannon's KSU blows up the "you can't run the flexbone and have a good defense" theory; and, heck, Monken's Army team ain't half bad at defense this year either]

And if it didn't work, then flex on over to a shotgun option coach so whenever he doesn't meet expectations, we will at least have a QB and OL that was recruited with passing talent at least tangentially in mind. Or even skip the Monken step, if you insist. Still a better plan than what got put into practice!