A Thread to Rehash GT HC Comparisons

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Here's the thing, though. It's not that we weren't recruiting well enough to run our current scheme. We weren't recruiting well enough to even run CPJ's effectively. The talent from the 2014 team was simply never replaced with anything close. There is no way Johnson leaves if he thinks another 2014 is right around the corner.
Did he think 2014 was around the corner? We were 7-6 in 2013 and our starting QB left the team. There were stories coming out about CPJ and Bobinski fighting internally. Then we win the Orange Bowl. Things aren't easy to predict.

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
Did he think 2014 was around the corner? We were 7-6 in 2013 and our starting QB left the team. There were stories coming out about CPJ and Bobinski fighting internally. Then we win the Orange Bowl. Things aren't easy to predict.
Well, he knew who he had coming in 2014 esp J. Thomas. He knew. Off the top of my head he had:
Thomas, Laskey, Days, MAson, Butker, Gotsis, DJ White, Isiah Johnson, Chris Milton, Nealy and more. He knew that team was loaded. Why do you think he ran the old QB off?

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Well, he knew who he had coming in 2014 esp J. Thomas. He knew. Off the top of my head he had:
Thomas, Laskey, Days, MAson, Butker, Gotsis, DJ White, Isiah Johnson, Chris Milton, Nealy and more. He knew that team was loaded. Why do you think he ran the old QB off?
You look at the players we had those years and see we got our new athletic director in 2013. It’s almost like CPJ and his staff weren’t “terrible” recruiters when he had an athletic director supporting him. Then we get sabotaged by an AD and posters on here want to blame CPJ. Good stuff. I am just glad Todd supports CGC and is giving him what’s necessary to succeed.

First of all, let me make it clear that I don't want CPJ back; I saw the handwriting on the wall and thought early in 2018 that it might be time for him to retire. And I am not Iobbying to run the TO again. I DO think more option plays could be run successfully though. But IMO, for whatever that might be worth, based on what I have seen thus far this season, and what I saw of ND Saturday, I truly believe that CPJ would have won that game with the players currently on the team.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
You look at the players we had those years and see we got our new athletic director in 2013. It’s almost like CPJ and his staff weren’t “terrible” recruiters when he had an athletic director supporting him. Then we get sabotaged by an AD and posters on here want to blame CPJ. Good stuff. I am just glad Todd supports CGC and is giving him what’s necessary to succeed.

I think we can all agree Bobinski was flat terrible regardless of our schematic preferences.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer

I am not sure what you are referring to exactly, but Johnson's FBS record from 2010-2013 was 23-25--when he was depending on his recruits and not Gailey's.

Johnson was not Radakowski's guy, but he did have the support of the Board and Clough (which had a lot to do with Radakowski leaving). As another poster said recently, Johnson would probably have been gone in 2013 if we could have afforded to replace him.

Then he caught lightning in a bottle in 2014. But for 7 of his last 9 years, Johnson's record wasn't very good. And that covers more than one AD.

The poster who said Johnson would have beaten ND on Saturday with these players may be the funniest thing I've ever read on this board.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I am not sure what you are referring to exactly, but Johnson's FBS record from 2010-2013 was 23-25--when he was depending on his recruits and not Gailey's.

Johnson was not Radakowski's guy, but he did have the support of the Board and Clough (which had a lot to do with Radakowski leaving). As another poster said recently, Johnson would probably have been gone in 2013 if we could have afforded to replace him.

Then he caught lightning in a bottle in 2014. But for 7 of his last 9 years, Johnson's record wasn't very good. And that covers more than one AD.

The poster who said Johnson would have beaten ND on Saturday with these players may be the funniest thing I've ever read on this board.
Who was D Rads guy? From the conversations I had with him he was all about CPJ.

I don't know why you think that was so funny. CPJ knew how to coach players up, and there are enough players, including the starters, on our team now who would probably not have signed to play under CPJ, but who would have thrived in his offense.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
I pretty much only lurk now but I have to ask:

The anti-CPJ people told us for years we were "settling for mediocrity" by not canning him earlier. Now, the same people are telling us that we need to get comfortable with 2-5 win seasons for several years before we reach the promised land. We are not told what the promised land even is (are we going to ever beat UGA under Collins? any ACC titles? etc) but we need to be patient and wait for it. Isn't this just asking everyone to settle for mediocrity?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer

The anti-CPJ people told us for years we were "settling for mediocrity" by not canning him earlier. Now, the same people are telling us that we need to get comfortable with 2-5 win seasons for several years before we reach the promised land. We are not told what the promised land even is (are we going to ever beat UGA under Collins? any ACC titles? etc) but we need to be patient and wait for it. Isn't this just asking everyone to settle for mediocrity?
Yes.

This has been another in a series of simple answers to simple questions.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer

LOL @ the masterful cherry picking here. Wow sir you deserve a trophy for this one for sure! This is one of the most amazing posts I've seen in a while. Good Job LOL!!

My answer to the bold section above is no

The answer is no because the previous HC was derelict in his duty to the GTAA and to the Institute's Fanbase

Recruiting is 80% of what makes a Pwr5 HC successful, Chan Gailey Recruited talented players regardless of how they were ranked coming out of HS, same for GOL, the Previous HC gave GT FB a horrible reputation among HS FB Coaches in the State of GA, the #4 State for HS FB Talent with Metro Atlanta being the #4 Metro Area for HS FB talent

The previous HC was not a "good steward" of our FB Program because he left it in shambles Talent Wise, even if he comes back and was the HC last yr we are only a 4-8 team maybe 5-7 with a few lucky bounces, if we have the Previous HC and his constantly declining Recruiting classes, with no serious help from the Portal, we might be 1 game better Record-wise in 2020, with an even more bleak future and with more years of being estranged from HS FB Coaches in the #4 State to recruit talent from

Once we saw what GT FB was under "his Recruits" from 2010 to 2013, the GTAA should have known to not delay the inevitable and kick the can down the Road

Kicking the can down the Road allowed ND, Michigan, Stanford, Penn State, Ohio State, Minnesota, Purdue, Kentucky and many other colleges to make huge inroads into GA HS FB, that will hinder CGC and his efforts to right the ship

This is my interpretation of the facts, others will have a different interpretation

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
For people who keep claiming that recruiting was bad which is why we have small D-line:

Brandon Adams (Act of god, RIP)
Chris Martins (left the team)
Lee (left the team)

I may be forgetting a couple others.

3 Potential DT's that were recruited by the past staff with plenty of size and lots of potential.

Everyone keeps pointing to how bad our LB play has been, but nobody is really talking about DT. If we had decent DT's it would help alleviate our weaknesses at LB, but the staff is playing a walk-on there and some how that's CPJ's fault. I'm also not blaming this current staff for the state of the DT's, its actually just a bad situation, but how in the world is this also the TO's fault?

We didn't run the triple option on defense so why does that suck so bad right now?

I mean everyone here is all about recruiting rankings now, go look at the defense, we have a bunch of 4-star recruits.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I agr
Decisions have consequences.

These are the things we knew would happen when you switch to something drastically different. If you didn't want to be bad for 5 years and potentially tank your program, you should have hired Jeff Monken and kept Nate Woody as defensive coordinator... he is now at Army with Jeff Monken.. Army currently is #4 in the nation in total defense, #3 in nation in turnovers gained, #9 in scoring defense, etc. Georgia Tech is #51. Does anyone really think Geoff Collins is a better football coach than Jeff Monken?

Head Coach: Jeff Monken
QB: Tobias Oliver
AB: Dontae Smith
AB: Tij Whatley
BB: Jordan Mason/Jerry Howard
WR: Jalen Camp
WR: Malachi Carter
WR: Adonicas Sanders

At worst, Georgia Tech is 2-1 right now with Monken depending on what happened against UCF (more on the schedule later). Could be 3-0 and ranked. Oliver would be in his 3rd year running the option, with who knows how many yards gained. The dude had 12 touchdowns as a backup QB, which led the team and was 4th in the ACC. He was born to run option. So GTech would have been settled at QB for 3 straight years of success.

That Syracuse team is terrible.... and that Florida State team totally sucks. It might be the worst Florida State team in history, and they barely won it.

Florida State is the easiest game on schedule.

Schedule coming up:
Louisville (loss)
Boston College (tossup)
#1 Clemson (loss)
#5 Notre Dame (loss)
#8 Miami (loss)
#23 Pittsburgh (loss)
Duke (win)
NC State (tossup)

2-3 wins max.

The recipe for success at Georgia Tech, and I have never waivered from this, isn't that difficult. You play in a BRUTAL conference. You can't do what everyone else is doing. Run the option, and schedule favorably.

Last year, if they had me as Athletic Director, here is what would have happened.

Jeff Monken takes the reigns from Paul Johnson. Nate Woody retained as defensive coordinator.

Game 1: UL Monroe.... win something like 55-3
Game 2: Middle Tennessee State.... win something like 55-3
Game 3: UAB.... win something like 63-10
Game 4: Georgia... get beat most likely

At this point you are 3-0... putting on a show, perfecting your timing, hitting your recruiting areas... leading the nation in rushing, rushing touchdowns, yards per rush, etc. Working on your passing game. Implementing the playbook, etc.

Then you go into your conference schedule.... Beat UNC, Pitt, Duke, Miami, NC State... Lose to Clemson, Georgia, VA Tech, and Virginia. Chances to beat VA Tech and Virginia. Only outclassed twice. Beat Virginia Tech 49-28 in 2018, 28-22 in 2017, 30-20 in 2016... Then lost to them 45-0 in Geoff Collins' first year.

Next season:

Game 1: Rice... win 60-0
Game 2: Charlotte... win 47-7
Game 3: Florida International... win 50-6

Rinse/wash/repeat

The Recipe
Play all non-conference games at home (except Georgia)
Schedule teams you will destroy. Each season you have 3 automatic wins to start the year
Play an insanely tough conference
In great years like 2014, you have a chance to do something special
In other years, you win 8 or 9 games and have a fun season
In really bad years, you win 5-7 games.

2011 is probably the best example of this strategy.... Played Western Carolina, Middle Tennessee, and Kansas to open the year.

Won 63-21, 49-21, and 66-24.

662 yards of offense against Western Carolina
596 yards of offense against Middle Tennessee State
768 yards of offense against Kansas

Finished 8-5 in an ok season. Got to #13 in country... Lost bowl game in overtime.

Fine season. Try to win those close games the next year.

How do I apply to be Athletic Direct

Decisions have consequences.

These are the things we knew would happen when you switch to something drastically different. If you didn't want to be bad for 5 years and potentially tank your program, you should have hired Jeff Monken and kept Nate Woody as defensive coordinator... he is now at Army with Jeff Monken.. Army currently is #4 in the nation in total defense, #3 in nation in turnovers gained, #9 in scoring defense, etc. Georgia Tech is #51. Does anyone really think Geoff Collins is a better football coach than Jeff Monken?

Head Coach: Jeff Monken
QB: Tobias Oliver
AB: Dontae Smith
AB: Tij Whatley
BB: Jordan Mason/Jerry Howard
WR: Jalen Camp
WR: Malachi Carter
WR: Adonicas Sanders

At worst, Georgia Tech is 2-1 right now with Monken depending on what happened against UCF (more on the schedule later). Could be 3-0 and ranked. Oliver would be in his 3rd year running the option, with who knows how many yards gained. The dude had 12 touchdowns as a backup QB, which led the team and was 4th in the ACC. He was born to run option. So GTech would have been settled at QB for 3 straight years of success.

That Syracuse team is terrible.... and that Florida State team totally sucks. It might be the worst Florida State team in history, and they barely won it.

Florida State is the easiest game on schedule.

Schedule coming up:
Louisville (loss)
Boston College (tossup)
#1 Clemson (loss)
#5 Notre Dame (loss)
#8 Miami (loss)
#23 Pittsburgh (loss)
Duke (win)
NC State (tossup)

2-3 wins max.

The recipe for success at Georgia Tech, and I have never waivered from this, isn't that difficult. You play in a BRUTAL conference. You can't do what everyone else is doing. Run the option, and schedule favorably.

Last year, if they had me as Athletic Director, here is what would have happened.

Jeff Monken takes the reigns from Paul Johnson. Nate Woody retained as defensive coordinator.

Game 1: UL Monroe.... win something like 55-3
Game 2: Middle Tennessee State.... win something like 55-3
Game 3: UAB.... win something like 63-10
Game 4: Georgia... get beat most likely

At this point you are 3-0... putting on a show, perfecting your timing, hitting your recruiting areas... leading the nation in rushing, rushing touchdowns, yards per rush, etc. Working on your passing game. Implementing the playbook, etc.

Then you go into your conference schedule.... Beat UNC, Pitt, Duke, Miami, NC State... Lose to Clemson, Georgia, VA Tech, and Virginia. Chances to beat VA Tech and Virginia. Only outclassed twice. Beat Virginia Tech 49-28 in 2018, 28-22 in 2017, 30-20 in 2016... Then lost to them 45-0 in Geoff Collins' first year.

Next season:

Game 1: Rice... win 60-0
Game 2: Charlotte... win 47-7
Game 3: Florida International... win 50-6

Rinse/wash/repeat

The Recipe
Play all non-conference games at home (except Georgia)
Schedule teams you will destroy. Each season you have 3 automatic wins to start the year
Play an insanely tough conference
In great years like 2014, you have a chance to do something special
In other years, you win 8 or 9 games and have a fun season
In really bad years, you win 5-7 games.

2011 is probably the best example of this strategy.... Played Western Carolina, Middle Tennessee, and Kansas to open the year.

Won 63-21, 49-21, and 66-24.

662 yards of offense against Western Carolina
596 yards of offense against Middle Tennessee State
768 yards of offense against Kansas

Finished 8-5 in an ok season. Got to #13 in country... Lost bowl game in overtime.

Fine season. Try to win those close games the next year.

How do I apply to be Athletic Director?

I love the TO as much as anyone but, unfortunately, we can’t unring the Geoff bell. My confidence was beginning to wane with the TO anyway, not because of the scheme or rule changes but because we couldn’t find many high-level personnel that wanted to play in it. I think our new offense is vanilla, not entertaining, and is very similar to everyone else’s...at least to the untrained eye.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

And for years pro-CPJ people told us every problem we had was someone other than the head coaches fault. Now the same people are blaming everything on the head coaching.

The people that are saying give Collins a chance understand he was hired under the premise of improving recruiting and are willing to give the time it takes for improved recruiting to have an actual impact. The people who can't seem to grasp why we are struggling are the same ones who burried their head in the sand when they were told about these issues two years ago when we made the change.