A Thread to Rehash GT HC Comparisons

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I agree that Kirby could have run up the score in that game. He put Eason in at QB and ran straight handoffs in the 4th quarter and we couldn't stop them. The look on PJ's face toward the end of the game told me he was done and realization he couldn't compete anymore with the top teams. I think he knew it was time to go. He could have forced a contract buyout but didn't. I have a lot of respect for him and that offense was a thing of beauty when it worked but the game changed over time and he didn't seem to adapt to it. We did have some great wins with him as well as some humbling losses.
Eason was gone in 2018. You are thinking of the 2017 game. If we are still comparing that to Clemson for some reason then we are comparing a game that we were down 17-7 at halftime to a game that we were down 52-7 at halftime.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I keep seeing 73-7 references. I was at GT-UGA 2018. Had Kirby wanted to, as Dabo did this year, he could’ve put up 70-80 points. UGA scored without resistance on all first half possessions. Pulled starters early.

UGA ‘18 was “it” for me. I’ve never seen a GT team so PHYSICALLY DOMINATED to that extent. I’ll admit, CPJ was a far better football coach than CGC has shown thus far. That said, coaching issues can be fixed. We have to learn how to get more talent to the flats, and CGC is a step in the right direction on that front.
The biggest problem I have with the "if he wanted to" myth is that people don't seem to use it in both cases. Kirby possibly could have run the score up that high but Dabo could have pretty easily gone well over 100 points if he wanted to as well.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
From my post earlier in this thread:
In CPJs last 5 years he was:
  • 1-4 vs. Duke
  • 2-3 vs. Miami
  • 2-3 vs. North Carolina
  • 2-3 vs. Pitt
  • 3-2 vs. Virginia
  • 4-1 vs. Virginia Tech
That’s 14-16 against the Coastal over the last 5 years of his tenure. Add in Georgia and Clemson
  • 0-5 vs. Clemson
  • 2-3 vs. Georgia
That’s 16-24 against his annual opponents over his last 5 years.

Where is the progress here? 2 winning records over 5 years against 8 annual opponents? Is that progress?

In PJ’s first 5 years he was:
  • 5-0 vs. Duke
  • 1-4 vs. Miami
  • 4-1 vs. North Carolina
  • 0-0 vs. Pitt (No games in 1st 5 years, but won the lone game before 2014
  • 3-2 vs. Virginia
  • 1-4 vs. Virginia Tech

• 3-2 vs. Clemson (4-2 incl. ‘09 ACCCG
  • 1-4 vs. Georgia
That’s 17-17 against annual opponents (regular season) and 14-11 against the current Coastal in his first 5 years. He only improved his record against 2 Coastal opponents, while his record regressed against 3. He beat Georgia one more time in his last 5, but was winless against Clemson. Everything @Lee said in his comment about other teams moving away from Tech is true. Tech was not getting better relative to other teams, and was in fact getting worse for the last 5 years of PJ’s career. That’s indisputable.
I'll agree that we dropped off a little at the end of CPJ's career, but I think the bigger factor is that the rest of the Coastal was making changes to keep up with the rest of college football, and we weren't. It wasn't until 2018 that we had a legit uniform partner, or the new locker rooms that replace the 30 year old ones. We had fewer recruiting personnel than Duke by like 2016 or something. Duke had winning seasons back to back for the first time in who knows how long after 2014 or so.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
2018 results:

Georgia Tech 49 Virginia Tech 28

Georgia Tech 38 UNC 28

Georgia Tech 27 Miami 21

Georgia Tech 30 UVA 27

Somehow, I fail to see a lack of progress here, despite bad losses to Clemson and Ugag. And all this was after losing our starting BB for the season for the second straight year.

But, hey, we were beat by Clemson by 28 points and Ugag by 24! Obviously we are doing better now after getting beat by Clemson this year by - wait a minute while I check the math - a mere 66 points. Obviously the millennia has arrived.

I expect to watch you commit sepuku on Youtube if Duke beats us again.
I’ll refer you to @JacketOff response to you, but will add a few things directly related to what you brought up.

Virginia Tech in 2018: 4-4 in conference and 6-7 overall

UNC in 2018: 1-7 in conference and 2-9 overall

Miami in 2018: 4-4 In conference and 7-6 overall.

Virginia in 2018: 4-4 in conference and 8-5 overall.

That’s a combined 13-19 in conference and 23-27 overall. You also conveniently left off big bad Duke who went 3-5 in conference.

No clue what your last sentence is supposed to mean, but I’d stay away from Duke (who you again conveniently left out of your post for 2018). Paul beat them once in his last 5 years here. The time before that Vad Lee had to throw 4 td passes to beat them and Paul quickly told him not to get used to that after.

I stand by my assessment of where we were trending at the end of PJ’s tenure versus where our competition was trending.

And if you’re going to use the “we lost our starting bback” excuse. How about you factor in what we lost on Oline last year, lost our top returning WR, best DL, new QB, among others. The this year, our top RB returning missed several games, we’re starting a true freshman QB, lost several interior DL, and started the season with our best DB and top DE out for a few games.

I’ll add 2018 was year 11 for PJ. Lack of depth is on him and his poor job recruiting and roster management. Collins has brought more talent of the offensive side of the ball in 1.5 recruiting classes than PJ did the whole time he was here.

PJ was a great offensive play caller. He schemed well, made great adjustments in game, and usually called a great game. He could never put together a decent defense, special teams were always garbage (save Butker and Havin), and recruiting was bad at best. The game has changed and kids wanting to play in the NFL weren’t going to come to GT with us running his scheme. The game changed over his tenure to where you need those guys to be able to compete with the big boys. JT saved his job. He was special and made plays no other QB PJ brought in. That plus the combo of Smelter giving up baseball led to one of the greatest seasons in my GT fanhood.

I’m thankful for that. I’m also wise enough to know he had to go and his version of option football was no longer going to work here. I’m thankful for the good times, but glad we’ve moved on. Collins might not be the guy (I still think he can be), but one thing is for certain, if he’s not, whoever comes after him will be walking into a helluva lot better situation than he had to.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
From my post earlier in this thread:
In CPJs last 5 years he was:
  • 1-4 vs. Duke
  • 2-3 vs. Miami
  • 2-3 vs. North Carolina
  • 2-3 vs. Pitt
  • 3-2 vs. Virginia
  • 4-1 vs. Virginia Tech
That’s 14-16 against the Coastal over the last 5 years of his tenure. Add in Georgia and Clemson
  • 0-5 vs. Clemson
  • 2-3 vs. Georgia
That’s 16-24 against his annual opponents over his last 5 years.

Where is the progress here? 2 winning records over 5 years against 8 annual opponents? Is that progress?

In PJ’s first 5 years he was:
  • 5-0 vs. Duke
  • 1-4 vs. Miami
  • 4-1 vs. North Carolina
  • 0-0 vs. Pitt (No games in 1st 5 years, but won the lone game before 2014
  • 3-2 vs. Virginia
  • 1-4 vs. Virginia Tech

• 3-2 vs. Clemson (4-2 incl. ‘09 ACCCG
  • 1-4 vs. Georgia
That’s 17-17 against annual opponents (regular season) and 14-11 against the current Coastal in his first 5 years. He only improved his record against 2 Coastal opponents, while his record regressed against 3. He beat Georgia one more time in his last 5, but was winless against Clemson. Everything @Lee said in his comment about other teams moving away from Tech is true. Tech was not getting better relative to other teams, and was in fact getting worse for the last 5 years of PJ’s career. That’s indisputable.

great post

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Progress is a weird measuring stick for a long tenured coach. If you have made substantial progress in the second 5 years of your tenure vs the first 5 years of your tenure then you are either winning national championships or you are probably pretty lucky you didn't get fired.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Since everyone likes talking about the Bowl team in 2018.
In 2019 Tech lost :
The Whole Starting DL from 2018
Starting Quarterback
Starting Running Back
Starting WR
Starting LB
Starting Safety
The best returning DL player passed away before the season.
The Best OL on the team transferred.
In 2018 Tech did not beat a single team over .500 in Conference play. We weren’t great that year and lost almost all the production. Tried of people acting like Collins was sitting on a bowl team.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
So you can take one sentence of my comment completely out of context and then claim I’m “making up numbers”? Interesting strategy. Whatever makes you feel better dude.
Because I saw the this immediately, then I saw the rest of the post and there was nothing worth responding to. Here you go though.
Time of possession and 3rd downs forced are relevant.
"forced third downs" might be the most irrelevant data point I've seen when trying to defend giving up over 4 ppd. I was just letting you have your thing, as I don't feel the need to comment on a made up stat (FEI, FPI, SP+ do not use "total third downs forced" so I am going to trust them on the irrelevance of it).

I also didn't respond to time of possession as it is not really indicative of performance. The fact that our offense was forcing our defense on to the field more does not indicate the defense played better. It indicates our offense could not sustain drives. PPD even removes time of possession out of the equation because a 8 minute drive is worth the same amount of as 2 minute drive. The difference being there is more variance in a drive the longer it lasts, but if you still give up 4+ ppd on those drives, the variance did not help you.

Lest not we forget the 2020 Clemson offense is a completely different animal than the 2018 Clemson offense.
Regarding the difference in offense, well, I have ignored the fact that the starters were out of the Clemson game in 2020 in all but one drive of the second half, and was just letting the numbers be what they were. I don't really care to go look up what the actual PPD of starter vs starter is, but i know the first half ppd of the 2018 game was drastically less than the first half ppd of the 2020 game. The 2020 offense is also currently only 0.03 OFEI points better than they were in 2018 (0.07 better if you remove the ND game which I think is fair to do). ESPN team efficiencies has 2018 Clemson offense tied to 2020. SP+ has 2018 slightly better (43.0 vs 42.7). I am not sure if I would say 2018 Clemson was much worse offensively than 2020 Clemson.

In 2018 they only attempted 11 second half passes. In 2020 they doubled that number and threw 22 passes.
Clemson's last drive in 2018 included 2 passes and ended on a 30 yard touch down pass (by Lawrence). This occurred while they were up 21 with 2 minutes to play. The previous drive also included two passes, but one of them was intercepted. Acting like Clemson wasn't passing and wasn't trying to score in the 2018 game in the second half is, again, disingenuous. Total plays doesn't tell the whole story. Clemson definitely seems to let its second string players play a wider range of the playbook in blowouts than most teams, but I am not sure 2018 and 2020 were much different (apart from the 4th down conversions being head scratchers for sure).

The 2018 defensive performance was in no way drastically better than 2020’s.
Never said it was. I claimed both were exceptionally bad. But even points per play was worse in the 2020 game (0.83 vs 0.64). The only stats you have tried to support your argument with are time of possession and forced third downs, and no other stat backs up your assertion. The whole basis of this conversation was when you inadvertently calculated PPD wrong, and instead of admitting the mistake, have doubled down. Like I said, I agree with your general thesis that the 73 points surrendered isn't as bad as people have made it out to be, but it certainly *is* really bad.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I keep seeing 73-7 references. I was at GT-UGA 2018. Had Kirby wanted to, as Dabo did this year, he could’ve put up 70-80 points. UGA scored without resistance on all first half possessions. Pulled starters early.

UGA ‘18 was “it” for me. I’ve never seen a GT team so PHYSICALLY DOMINATED to that extent. I’ll admit, CPJ was a far better football coach than CGC has shown thus far. That said, coaching issues can be fixed. We have to learn how to get more talent to the flats, and CGC is a step in the right direction on that front.
Oh, ye of little faith!

Remember the Ugag game in 2014? 3 seasons before 2018? We matched up very well indeed in that one. But people here, despite admitting that we have a hard time recruiting with Ugag in any year, seem to think we wouldn't ever get back to that level, despite a 9 win season in 2016.

I mean, admit it: you are one of the people who wanted us to win against top teams by "physical domination", not skill and finesse. Not being so into sado-masochism as some here, I was perfectly winning to just win. We would have gotten back to 2014 levels sooner with Paul then with the current regime, but that wasn't what you wanted. You wanted to recruit with the "big boys", despite pretty convincing evidence that Tech has a real hard time doing that and always will. Tech has always won by out-skilling its opponents. It always will. We'll have to see how long it takes Collins to come around and see that.

Oh, and btw, I was at the 2018 game too. We got beat pretty bad. But not by 66 points.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Since everyone likes talking about the Bowl team in 2018.
In 2019 Tech lost :
The Whole Starting DL from 2018
Starting Quarterback
Starting Running Back
Starting WR
Starting LB
Starting Safety
The best returning DL player passed away before the season.
The Best OL on the team transferred.
In 2018 Tech did not beat a single team over .500 in Conference play. We weren’t great that year and lost almost all the production. Tried of people acting like Collins was sitting on a bowl team.
But he was. It just wasn't a bowl team using his offense. Though, I'll admit, the creeping OL injuries last year made establishing offensive consistency pretty difficult. If Paul had to deal with that we might have only won 6 or so.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
But he was. It just wasn't a bowl team using his offense. Though, I'll admit, the creeping OL injuries last year made establishing offensive consistency pretty difficult. If Paul had to deal with that we might have only won 6 or so.
Considering what happened in 2015 when we were plagued with similar injury issues, I doubt last year would have been much better under CPJ.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
"forced third downs" might be the most irrelevant data point I've seen when trying to defend giving up over 4 ppd
First of all, I’m not defending giving up 4 PPD lmao. Not sure why you think that. I’m saying that the performance in 2020 is not that much worse, if worse at all, than the performance in 2018. But regarding third downs, it’s not relevant that the 2018 Clemson team had fewer third down opportunities than total drives? Meaning Tech’s defense was so inadequate at stopping them that they couldn’t even average one third down per drive? That means Clemson was getting first downs at will, with basically no opposition. It’s like playing against air.

I don't really care to go look up what the actual PPD of starter vs starter is, but i know the first half ppd of the 2018 game was drastically less than the first half ppd of the 2020 game.
Of course the first half PPD data is better in 2018 than 2020. Trevor Lawrence didn’t start. I‘ve already covered that. Lawrence didn’t even get in the game until there were 11 minutes left in the 2nd quarter. He then led 4 first half drives, 3 of them resulted in touchdowns with 1 ending on an interception. Lawrence played 2 drives in the second half, the first one and the last one. Both were touchdowns. That’s 5 touchdowns in 6 drives, or 83% of drives since you’re so numbers oriented. Lawrence led 11 drives in 2020 (coincidentally the same amount Clemson had total in 2018 and only scored 3 more points) and 7 of them led to touchdowns. That’s 63%. So the 2020 defense was able to stop the junior version of Trevor Lawrence from scoring touchdowns at a better clip than the 2018 team was at stopping the freshman version. The 2020 team also forced an interception, a punt, and a field goal while Lawrence was in the game. The 2018 team only had 1 interception. That’s 16% of drives where Lawrence was “shut down” compared to 27% in 2020.

Acting like Clemson wasn't passing and wasn't trying to score in the 2018 game in the second half is, again, disingenuous. Total plays doesn't tell the whole story. Clemson definitely seems to let its second string players play a wider range of the playbook in blowouts than most teams, but I am not sure 2018 and 2020 were much different (apart from the 4th down conversions being head scratchers for sure).
Clemson’s 2018 second half run/pass split was 24/11. In 2020 that split is 18/22. That means that Clemson threw more passes than they had runs in 2020. In 2018 they had double the running plays as they did passing plays. Plus the 2 fourth-down conversions and it’s very obvious Clemson was trying to score as much and as quickly as possible in 2020 when they simply didn’t do that in 2018. It’s not disingenuous. You’re just not looking, and you’re ignoring to the total and main points in my post.

The whole basis of this conversation was when you inadvertently calculated PPD wrong, and instead of admitting the mistake, have doubled down. Like I said, I agree with your general thesis that the 73 points surrendered isn't as bad as people have made it out to be, but it certainly *is* really bad.
I admitted my mistake, lmao. But your entire argument depends solely on that mistake mattering. It doesn’t, and it doesn’t matter for what I’m trying to say, which is that the 2018 defense got whipped up and down the field *just as bad* if not *worse* than the 2020 defense did. This is evident, I’ve provided numerous sources and validations for my argument. If you want to call me disingenuous or get on your high horse some more then that’s great. I don’t care. It doesn’t matter to me. I never wanted to have this argument in the first place. It’s dumb, and it’s part of what I was trying to avoid in my original comment anyway. The truth is that Georgia, Clemson, and Minnesota whipped CPJ’s team’s a$$ in 2018 just like Georgia and VT in 2019 and Clemson in 2020 have whipped CGC’s a$$. My original point was that CPJ’s offense was able to hide these a$$ whippings on the scoreboard better because of the offense he ran, while CGC’s teams aren’t able to do that, therefore it looks like his teams are underperforming much worse than they actually are. That was the entire reason for my original post. I don’t care about a 0.6 PPD difference. I don’t care about FEI or S&P+ ratings. I don’t even care about slight numerical differences between games played 2 years apart. They’re irrelevant to what I was trying to say anyway.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
These are fun comparisons to make, but increasingly irrelevant. I understand why Tech went with the TO (academic issues, money issues) and also Geoff’s strategy (be close to the action while working your NIL rights).

The reality is this ... Tech has a break even athletic program, a small alumni base, and tough academic standards. We’re closer to Vandy than Clemson.

We have no massive merchandizing program, no organized fundraising clubs, and no massive booster base. We’re the Milwaukee Brewers of college sports ... competing at D1 ... efficiently... but not effectively.

We have a fabulous golf program. Which is indicative of where we are headed ... to those areas we can compete given the boat we are in.

I‘ve enjoyed watching a Tech football for 41 years. And we are right back where we were in 1980. Only worse. The coach can only do so much.

Oh, ye of little faith!

Remember the Ugag game in 2014? 3 seasons before 2018? We matched up very well indeed in that one. But people here, despite admitting that we have a hard time recruiting with Ugag in any year, seem to think we wouldn't ever get back to that level, despite a 9 win season in 2016.

I mean, admit it: you are one of the people who wanted us to win against top teams by "physical domination", not skill and finesse. Not being so into sado-masochism as some here, I was perfectly winning to just win. We would have gotten back to 2014 levels sooner with Paul then with the current regime, but that wasn't what you wanted. You wanted to recruit with the "big boys", despite pretty convincing evidence that Tech has a real hard time doing that and always will. Tech has always won by out-skilling its opponents. It always will. We'll have to see how long it takes Collins to come around and see that.

Oh, and btw, I was at the 2018 game too. We got beat pretty bad. But not by 66 points.
1- 4 during the previous HC's last 5 years vs Duke indicates that we weren't getting anywhere close to 2014 levels anytime soon, a year where we lost to a terrible UNC Team and needed a blown call to beat Ga Southern in their 1st year with 85 schollies

You think losing to Duke, UNC, and needing a cheating Ref to beat Ga Southern is great times on the Flats, while the #4 HS FB talent is within a 90 minute drive of GT's Campus

Back in 1988 (?) the Top2 HS QBs in this State were Charlie Ward & Shawn Jones, we got 1 of them and won a MNC, the other guy won a Heisman and might have won an MNC himself at F$U

Fast Fwd to the Previous HC's Tenure, the Top2 QBs in this State were Trevor Lawrence & Justin Fields, did the previous HC have any shot at all to sign one?

What about D Watson?

Part of the Problem is that being considered an "Offensive Genuis" to 65 yr old Alums means less than nothing, IMO you can't be called an Offensive Genius if Elite HS FB Talent in your home State wants nothing to do with your "system"

This makes you a "one trick pony" rather than an Offensive Genuis, once we admit that the previous HC was a 1 trick pony that was a terrible recruiter & a terrible ambassador to the HS FB Coaches in this State we can move forward, but a segment among us refuses to admit what the previous guy really was

It's time to move on and really get behind the new guy, 80 of the Top100 HS FB Players in this State can get into GT as Recruited FB Players and can Graduate if they want to

It's time to move into the Ranks of big time CFB with emphasis on Recrootin' (SEC spelling), Roster Mgmt, and Processing guys that can't hack it, time for GT FB to move fwd with both hands instead of 1 hand tied behind our backs

The Fanbase has to want to play "The Game" the way Championship Programs Play The Game!

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Eason was gone in 2018. You are thinking of the 2017 game. If we are still comparing that to Clemson for some reason then we are comparing a game that we were down 17-7 at halftime to a game that we were down 52-7 at halftime.
It was at BDS and i do remember the look on PJ's face at that one. He was totally disheartened. It was the game Eason transferred after that season. We were totally beaten in that game. It wasn't that bad at the half but it got really ugly. That Minnesota game was a bad one too but the circumstances of him leaving did not leave much to play for and they had a dominant OL. I do believe he had had enough the last couple of years and knew it was time.

1- 4 during the previous HC's last 5 years vs Duke indicates that we weren't getting anywhere close to 2014 levels anytime soon, a year where we lost to a terrible UNC Team and needed a blown call to beat Ga Southern in their 1st year with 85 schollies

You think losing to Duke, UNC, and needing a cheating Ref to beat Ga Southern is great times on the Flats, while the #4 HS FB talent is within a 90 minute drive of GT's Campus

Back in 1988 (?) the Top2 HS QBs in this State were Charlie Ward & Shawn Jones, we got 1 of them and won a MNC, the other guy won a Heisman and might have won an MNC himself at F$U

Fast Fwd to the Previous HC's Tenure, the Top2 QBs in this State were Trevor Lawrence & Justin Fields, did the previous HC have any shot at all to sign one?

What about D Watson?

Part of the Problem is that being considered an "Offensive Genuis" to 65 yr old Alums means less than nothing, IMO you can't be called an Offensive Genius if Elite HS FB Talent in your home State wants nothing to do with your "system"

This makes you a "one trick pony" rather than an Offensive Genuis, once we admit that the previous HC was a 1 trick pony that was a terrible recruiter & a terrible ambassador to the HS FB Coaches in this State we can move forward, but a segment among us refuses to admit what the previous guy really was

It's time to move on and really get behind the new guy, 80 of the Top100 HS FB Players in this State can get into GT as Recruited FB Players and can Graduate if they want to

It's time to move into the Ranks of big time CFB with emphasis on Recrootin' (SEC spelling), Roster Mgmt, and Processing guys that can't hack it, time for GT FB to move fwd with both hands instead of 1 hand tied behind our backs

The Fanbase has to want to play "The Game" the way Championship Programs Play The Game!
Uh huh. 2014 was a farse...well then so was 1990. We played a lot of weak teams and got lucky in some games.....please stop attacking our most successful coach since Dodd.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Folks, there will be no "extensive" clean up, unless you believe us lucking into 7-8 wins one season in the future an "extensive clean up". That is the current HC's potential from what I have seen. I don't think he has the type of discipline or ingenuity to do better. I'm saying it now - no ACC championships and no wins against UGAG under this HC. That is my strong belief.

Again, I really do want to be wrong, and I want to be able to say out loud, many of you were right, and I was wrong. I have only seen things this year to further my strong opinion about our marketeer.

NOTE: Like many others have stated, if he could hire genius top notch coordinators, this opinion might change, but that ain't happening.
My strong belief is that we have no idea until he can recruit an offensive line that isn’t a sieve and defensive players who can run and tackle. He’s had 1 recruiting class of his own. And the one thing GT has needed for decades is a marketeer. You obviously don’t talk to high school athletes or coaches. I do as my son is a senior high school football player in South Georgia, And let me say, prior to our marketeer arriving on the scene, players nor coaches even gave GT football a glance. I had a coach tell me, as I was wearing my GT hat, that the only players he would push towards GT were those who had lower tier offers. He said legit D1 players, even fringe types, had so many better options than Johnson in this area. He even said there’s a reason Johnson succeeded in D2 but couldn’t replicate it at GT. Point being, no one in the football arena from players to coaches really care about academics. It’s all lip service. They want to be prepped for the NFL because they all believe they are going. GT football is not special in this regard. We are 1 of a dozen D1 programs in this area that kids now look at. We need a marketeer desperately.

My strong belief is that we have no idea until he can recruit an offensive line that isn’t a sieve and defensive players who can run and tackle. He’s had 1 recruiting class of his own. And the one thing GT has needed for decades is a marketeer. You obviously don’t talk to high school athletes or coaches. I do as my son is a senior high school football player in South Georgia, And let me say, prior to our marketeer arriving on the scene, players nor coaches even gave GT football a glance. I had a coach tell me, as I was wearing my GT hat, that the only players he would push towards GT were those who had lower tier offers. He said legit D1 players, even fringe types, had so many better options than Johnson in this area. He even said there’s a reason Johnson succeeded in D2 but couldn’t replicate it at GT. Point being, no one in the football arena from players to coaches really care about academics. It’s all lip service. They want to be prepped for the NFL because they all believe they are going. GT football is not special in this regard. We are 1 of a dozen D1 programs in this area that kids now look at. We need a marketeer desperately.
Amen from the Congregation!

I wish the guys that loved the Previous HC so much would attempt to understand how Recruits & HS Coaches perceived GT FB under the previous Guy

I wished they could fathom that their is no such thing as "Genius Play-Calling" - all Teams essentially run the same plays, the Team that happens to win has better Players that make fewer mistakes on that Gameday

I wish they could understand that at some point we had to hire a Guy that could sell what GT has in abundance, the Metro Atlanta Area in combination with P5 CFB, that's a lot compared to many places, but our Fans for some reason overlook this

I don't know why, but for some reason they are stuck in the Mid70s to Early 80s mindset where we were on the verge of dropping down to a lower Classification (FCS aka D1AA)

GT has a ton to offer Top100 FB Recruits here in GA, I know it, CGC knows it, but the rest of our Fans need to know it too

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
When we have a full roster of better players we will win. Unfortunately, our talent level lately was getting mauled by Duke. We’ll get there.