A Test of Our Leadership

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I had a bad feeling about last week. Tried to ignore it, but it was there.

I don't know what to think about this week.
Funny, I did too.

My usual approach on these sites is to talk more confidently than I actually am. Not sure why, but that's the way I roll. Even with predicting a big Tech win I was worried that in fact Tech would lose.

30 minutes before game time I put my lunch on the table in front of my TV, poured my beer and promptly lost my appetite. I forced some food down but I just had this feeling that this was not going to be fun. It was the exact opposite of the feeling I had before the Orange Bowl where I felt happy, optimistic and like Tech had nothing to lose.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
I did hear in the media that there were 70+ missed assignments at ND. I don't have the context for the "efforts" reference, so I'm not sure how to respond. But, against an average of about 15 missed assignments, there's little wonder what happened up there.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I did hear in the media that there were 70+ missed assignments at ND. I don't have the context for the "efforts" reference, so I'm not sure how to respond. But, against an average of about 15 missed assignments, there's little wonder what happened up there.

At nd Sitting in end zone nose bleed (actually good seats) using binoculars and watching the video replay, it really appeared to me that they AS A GROUP seemed to know the play call fractions of a second after the snap. There first step seemed to make every block have a difficult angle. Very few blocks that got two guys and time of blocks seemed to be shorter in duration than clemson, uga, fsu, msu ) .

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Just guessing that the three or four different defensive alignments from ND confused more players than just the QB. Hard to imagine the confusion on the field, particularly on the edge with so many raw A backs. Combine that with the raw athleticism on the ND defense and it's not hard to understand in retrospect. They'll get better.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Agree - the formations were confusing - athletes were good as well. Hope we can run some plays that give us advantages against these formations.
First to games didn't do much to get us ready.

Tomorrow is next chance to get better. Let's Let the Yellow Jackets Loose!

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Our leadership got tested...and failed. JeT was running for his life most of the game. We need some leadership on the Oline.

Defense passed the test, but Duke was not a very good offensive team.

We are learning more about our team...and it looks like we might be lacking some of the intangibles we had last year. Here's hoping we turn it around this week.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I am afraid we have also been out-coached by Cutcliffe two years in a row. He has no more talent than us, but has beaten us twice in a row.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I am afraid we have also been out-coached by Cutcliffe two years in a row. He has no more talent than us, but has beaten us twice in a row.
If we instead of duke got two special teams related TDs?

What concerns me is that it should not even be close unless there is a flaw in our offense that he sees and his players execute and our side can't counter.

For now we will have to leave this as: Sometimes you flush the Dukkey & sometimes you fall in it and have to smell it for a year.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Well, okay, the thing which has been discussed is missed assignments, not efforts. But what about efforts? I wonder what that number would look like. More than one person noted that Duke looked to be playing at a higher energy level than our guys.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Hell I think our talent has been better than Duke's the last 2 years...so I will concede we got out coached in those games. They were better prepared in those games than we were for whatever reason (last year I think finals had a BIG part to play) We still have the better coach. Go Jackets!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Hell I think our talent has been better than Duke's the last 2 years...so I will concede we got out coached in those games. They were better prepared in those games than we were for whatever reason (last year I think finals had a BIG part to play) We still have the better coach. Go Jackets!
A lot a mistakes by guys who shouldn't be making them. Duke didn't do anything our vets haven't seen many, many times. The expected growing pains by the new guys is exacerbating this primary issue which is one none of us expected. The new skill guys just playing tentative and unsure. Heck, a fraction of a second of hesitation is all it takes for a good defender to slip a block. Duke slipped a lot of blocks and were sure tacklers. On many plays, we weren't even slowing them down.

There is a plethora of Georgia Tech games in the database that make your misgivings not just acceptable, but even logical. In the vernacular, the "WTF loss" has been around for a long time in Georgia Tech lore. I personally am filing the ND loss in the "WTF" category, so in my thinking we have already had our obligatory head scratching loss. Duke meets the perfect storm tomorrow, Jackets roll and get back to our winning ways.
Rochambeau is an idiot.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Whenever Tech beasts itself some people seem to jump to the conclusion that Tech was out couched or that someone has figured the system out.

If our guys can start making 70% of their assignments rather than missing 70% then I think we will see more clearly whether or not someone has out couched us. Right now we are just giving the game away. Put this current offense on an empty field and it would probably still take them 10 plays to score.