A Test of Our Leadership

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
To me, this is the beauty of the college football season: The discovery process of our team--their talent, their determination, and their accountability to one another. As the season progresses, we find out more and more about who our team is. Its a slow discovery, for sure, but this week we will find out a lot about the leadership of our team.

Last week, our team met adversity, and responded poorly. Granted, there were bright spots, but the fact that the coaches reported over 70 "efforts" means that the team, as a whole, did not respond well. We are a better team than we showed.

Now we have another tough road game against a quality opponent. I do believe our team is more talented than Duke, but the intangibles will make a big difference. Do we have the team leaders to step up and lead the team to victory after last week? Will they make plays when they need to? Will they lose focus if they get behind?

Any guesses?

I believe in JeT as a leader, but he can't do it all himself. Last year, it seemed like there was a no quit attitude on the O-line. Did that attitude leave with Shaq Mason? I sure hope not.

Either way, we will learn a lot about our team this week. And either way, I'll be cheering them on (from far away). Go Jackets!

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
To me, this is the beauty of the college football season: The discovery process of our team--their talent, their determination, and their accountability to one another. As the season progresses, we find out more and more about who our team is. Its a slow discovery, for sure, but this week we will find out a lot about the leadership of our team.

Last week, our team met adversity, and responded poorly. Granted, there were bright spots, but the fact that the coaches reported over 70 "efforts" means that the team, as a whole, did not respond well. We are a better team than we showed.

Now we have another tough road game against a quality opponent. I do believe our team is more talented than Duke, but the intangibles will make a big difference. Do we have the team leaders to step up and lead the team to victory after last week? Will they make plays when they need to? Will they lose focus if they get behind?

Any guesses?

I believe in JeT as a leader, but he can't do it all himself. Last year, it seemed like there was a no quit attitude on the O-line. Did that attitude leave with Shaq Mason? I sure hope not.

Either way, we will learn a lot about our team this week. And either way, I'll be cheering them on (from far away). Go Jackets!

I'm not sure it's a big deal, and I get your point, but are you sure it was 70+ "efforts"? I was under the impression that the effort was fine but that they missed assignments. I think those two are different. I could be wrong, obviously.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
I'll probably get trashed for saying this and I made a bold prediction for victory in the prediction thread ... but I'm getting an all to familiar feeling and SOOOOOO hope I'm wrong.

Doubt creeping in from last week, Duke coming off of a loss to NW playing the first conference game in their newly renovated stadium, bad weather ... the perfect storm for Duke (pun intended) etc-etc

On the flip side I had a really good feeling that we'd handle ND last week.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
If this team is anything like there coach they will come out pissed off after last weeks performance and add to that it's a team that beat them at home last year. I think we run them off the field. This is a big game to find out how much this team had inside them. Last week was a reality check and a slap in the face. This week is when it gets real. Conference play starts and this is a swing game. Drop this one and the wheels could come off. Won and I think we start to roll again.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I'll probably get trashed for saying this and I made a bold prediction for victory in the prediction thread ... but I'm getting an all to familiar feeling and SOOOOOO hope I'm wrong.

Doubt creeping in from last week, Duke coming off of a loss to NW playing the first conference game in their newly renovated stadium, bad weather ... the perfect storm for Duke (pun intended) etc-etc

Well, that is a definitive position.

There is a plethora of Georgia Tech games in the database that make your misgivings not just acceptable, but even logical. In the vernacular, the "WTF loss" has been around for a long time in Georgia Tech lore. I personally am filing the ND loss in the "WTF" category, so in my thinking we have already had our obligatory head scratching loss. Duke meets the perfect storm tomorrow, Jackets roll and get back to our winning ways.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not sure it's a big deal, and I get your point, but are you sure it was 70+ "efforts"? I was under the impression that the effort was fine but that they missed assignments. I think those two are different. I could be wrong, obviously.
Correct me if I am wrong, but CPJ uses that term to mean exactly what you describe - effort was there but they made mistakes, missed assignments, running the wrong way, etc.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
I think if we lose to Duke it will be a long season. I don't think we will, but it will be tough to rebound if we do. Granted with JT/CPJ I have a lot more confidence in a bounce-back game than teams inthe past. However, if Duke wins this game they won't look back and we will be sitting at 2-2 with a lot of questions.

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
need to start strong and build confidence for sure. a slow start and being behind may cause everyone to doubt if the team is any good. we may look back at this game like we do to last year's GaSouthern game -a loss could have been a season changer (CPJ career changer) and hopefully we come out on top again and start doing great things again

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
For me there is only one question. Did Notre Dame expose some fatal flaws in our team this year? If so, then we will lose to Duke also.

But, as many of us are hoping, maybe last Saturday was simply about our team not have matured enough and facing off against a very well coached and well prepared veteran team. If that is the case then against Duke we should see a better Tech effort against a less formidable team resulting in solid win for the Jackets.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Correct me if I am wrong, but CPJ uses that term to mean exactly what you describe - effort was there but they made mistakes, missed assignments, running the wrong way, etc.

I don't know. I thought I heard they were from lack of effort, ie taking a play off, or something like that.

Maybe @DrJacket or @Ibeeballin will chime in with the meaning of "efforts"

GTL

Jolly Good Fellow
I had a bad feeling about last week. Tried to ignore it, but it was there.

I don't know what to think about this week.