A new take on the offense

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Holy crap guys have you seen our new helmets???

vlNndYb.jpg

trying to replicate a curved honeycomb pattern in a fast amount of time is hard

LibertyTurns

Banned
OK, aren't the offenses of "old school" ACC members, SEC-types, etc really just Marxists in disguise? They want the government to direct what they should do and guarantee the outcomes, ie the schools expected to win do win & those that are expected to lose do lose. GT's offense is more Libertarian. The Marxists will continue to "pass laws" designed to try to keep us down and find ways to charge us with crimes against the state (NCAA) until we overthrow them.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I sorta like it. We have "Death Marches" after all. Our B Back "Hammers" their DL, and cut blocks resemble a "Sickle" the way the defenders go down. We are going to oppress millions of college football fans. No doubt that CPJ is an unelected Tyrant on the sidelines. A Hive is a sort of Collective, and we are a swarm of worker bees. Lots of good stuff in the analogy.
Deep analysis.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
OK, aren't the offenses of "old school" ACC members, SEC-types, etc really just Marxists in disguise? They want the government to direct what they should do and guarantee the outcomes, ie the schools expected to win do win & those that are expected to lose do lose. GT's offense is more Libertarian. The Marxists will continue to "pass laws" designed to try to keep us down and find ways to charge us with crimes against the state (NCAA) until we overthrow them.
Well, I never intended to turn the thing into some political philosophy exercise. It's one of the things I really like about this site. But I found it amusing and doubt very much he had political thoughts in mind. Just found an audience for a line he was aching to use, and I'd really like to cut the thing off right there. But thanks.

TheGridironGeek

Jolly Good Fellow
I think 5-wide, throw-50-passes-a-game, wear-your-own-OL-out is the Lord Of The Flies offense. A bunch of immature leaders rejecting reason & science to do what seems fun.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Ours seems more free market to me... If there's a nitch to be found or if a particular sector is crowded, we have the freedom to find and choose the best opportunity and to exploit weaknesses in the competition. Now maybe our marketing could use a little work.

But, we're certainly not communist in that it is demanded that everyone share equally. Depending on the market, one particular sector of the market may be a bear while another is a bull on a particular day.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Well … I had some friends in grad school from Brazil. They were quite puzzled after their first football game (they thought it would be a soccer game, of course). They couldn't understand why a game that was so throughly planned and centralized could be popular in the US. One of them specifically compared the way football games are run to the kind of limited competition between planned industries you found at the time in Yugoslavia. I thought that was actually quite perceptive; football is much less expressive of what we usually call the "American Spirit" then baseball, for instance, is. You literally can't plan a baseball game; believe me, I've tried. It's as hard to predict as soccer.

Btw, I vote for the helmets. They look truly cool. And, also btw, this is how Russians cheer:

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Some of you do realize that Russia is no longer a communist country and that Vladimir Putin has been freely elected and enjoys like an 80 percent approval rating from Russians in polls.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Well … I had some friends in grad school from Brazil. They were quite puzzled after their first football game (they thought it would be a soccer game, of course). They couldn't understand why a game that was so throughly planned and centralized could be popular in the US. One of them specifically compared the way football games are run to the kind of limited competition between planned industries you found at the time in Yugoslavia. I thought that was actually quite perceptive; football is much less expressive of what we usually call the "American Spirit" then baseball, for instance, is. You literally can't plan a baseball game; believe me, I've tried. It's as hard to predict as soccer.

Btw, I vote for the helmets. They look truly cool. And, also btw, this is how Russians cheer:

Wasn't it George Will that said football is the most American of games: instances of extreme violence separated by committee meetings.

dhbartlett12

Ramblin' Wreck
Free market offense: at the snap of the ball, every offensive player tries to get the ball, but since the center starts with it, he never snaps it.
Not sure a free market offense would work too well.
I think NC State runs a fascist regime, we run a communist one.

dhbartlett12

Ramblin' Wreck
Wasn't it George Will that said football is the most American of games: instances of extreme violence separated by committee meetings.

I think football parallels LOTR in that Tolkien called the later "applicable" rather than "allegorical."
Neither are allegories, but both can be used to teach a variety of lessons.