A new take on the offense

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Went to the gym last night, wearing my GT ballcap as usual, and while standing around trying to find a reason not to get on the next machine a fellow in an NC State cap came over. As would be expected, talk went directly to football. He said he thought State would be better and I said good, because the ACC needed to get better.

Then he asked if Tech was going to use that "commie" offense again. I wasn't sure where this was going but he explained: Georgia Tech "spreads it all around", but State is a "free market" team. "We give it to our best guy every time."

He was very pleased with himself so I guess he had waited a long time to find a Tech fan to use it on. Wasn't bad, though.

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
One reply: "The Tech offense has a plan, but is flexible (e.g., the choice of option) based upon market conditions (defensive formation, strengths and weaknesses, etc.). Your approach of simply 'giving it to the best guy every time' is a one-size-fits-all, centrally directed command-and-control approach to offense. Nice try, and thank you for playing.' " ;)

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
One reply: "Your approach of simply 'giving it to the best guy every time' is a one-size-fits-all, centrally directed command-and-control approach to offense. Nice try, and thank you for playing.' " ;)

Better: "Yeah, but it sure looks like GT's commie offense had produced more consistent results and success than other school's fascist and monarchistic models."

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Better: "Yeah, but it sure looks like GT's commie offense had produced more consistent results and success than other school's fascist and monarchistic models."
Exactly. His analogy falls apart the moment you look at actual results on the field. Letting his political / ideological metaphor hook you leads completely away from the point which is that Tech can beat the crap out of NC State any time it wants to. It was a pretty lame way to try make himself feel better about pulling for a loser.

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
Ours is more free market because those that work hard and produce get to play. Not a one pony show as in a dictatorial monarch rule.

You mean playing time uses the free market approach, with high consumer demand for blocking skills. All offenses are communistic really, in that every man has an assignment, but there is disparity at other schools in who is given opportunity to score TDs. GT is very generous in that regard.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Went to the gym last night, wearing my GT ballcap as usual, and while standing around trying to find a reason not to get on the next machine a fellow in an NC State cap came over. As would be expected, talk went directly to football. He said he thought State would be better and I said good, because the ACC needed to get better.

Then he asked if Tech was going to use that "commie" offense again. I wasn't sure where this was going but he explained: Georgia Tech "spreads it all around", but State is a "free market" team. "We give it to our best guy every time."

He was very pleased with himself so I guess he had waited a long time to find a Tech fan to use it on. Wasn't bad, though.

I think the response that would match the intelligence reflected in the analogy would've been, "Oh, which one of us wears red?"

Cam

Helluva Engineer
I've never seen this level of offseason thread before. Comparing offenses to economic ideologies. I like it. Expect it to pop up on sports blogs soon.

wishbone

Georgia Tech Fan
54_zpsd7nqbvij.jpg

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
I sorta like it. We have "Death Marches" after all. Our B Back "Hammers" their DL, and cut blocks resemble a "Sickle" the way the defenders go down. We are going to oppress millions of college football fans. No doubt that CPJ is an unelected Tyrant on the sidelines. A Hive is a sort of Collective, and we are a swarm of worker bees. Lots of good stuff in the analogy.

thwgjacket

I would've walked up to both of you in my GT shirt and asked, "Why are you guys wearing hats to the gym?"

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
So he was saying that communism beats free markets every time? This is why political bumper stickers should never be mixed with something as pure as football.

Communism would work well with robots, as it clearly does with football. This is because human nature sabotages communism in real life. If a team can execute on the gridiron without being sabotaged by emotion, the better.

I've never seen this level of offseason thread before. Comparing offenses to economic ideologies. I like it. Expect it to pop up on sports blogs soon.

If to compare/contrast the application of political ideologies to football vs real life, that would be swell.