A little from last night's radio show

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Here is a another little part of Monday night's conversation.

Before the game, Pat Narduzzi and Paul met and had a brief conversation. The first thing from Coach Narduzzi was something like "Boy, you don't get a week off in this league, do you? When I was in the Big 10 (or 12), we had a few games you could pencil in a win. Not in this league." Paul (to the radio audience) said that was so true. When he was first at Tech and would go to the big preseason coaches meeting, he would look around the room and mentally note "there's a win, there's a win, etc." Not so now.

I don't think there is any doubt this is true. If you can get to 8 wins in today's conference, you have accomplished something. That's why losing those games that could go either way is so painful.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
3-3 in the Coastal might mean you have a decent team.

The Duke and UNC hurricane games will skew their stats (and vpi's, and I'm not sure that UNC loses to vpi in different weather), but they've each got some good wins: Duke over ND, unc over FSU. I wouldn't be surprised if uva keeps getting better too. I wouldn't be surprised if Duke and uva lose-out either, fwiw.

IIRC, uva was the only team without any votes for winning the Coastal this year. The results of the games played so far seem to support this competitiveness, imo.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I do think the ACC Coastal in the "best" division in all the FBS...in terms of having "pretty good" teams with a lot of balance. On any given Saturday, as they say.....

Look around, no one else has this...every other division has some pretty weak sisters

Techster

Helluva Engineer
He's a couple years out of Boomer's 20 year window, but Dorsey Levens had a pretty long career...really long for a RB. He was in the league for 10 years.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
That’s bold. Choice was technically around in the league for 6-7 years I believe. Joe Burns maybe a little less. Does Charlie Rogers count as a RB?
Yes, bold. Write it down. I will be glad to take the heat in 10 years after he falls a season short, if it comes to that.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I do think the ACC Coastal in the "best" division in all the FBS...in terms of having "pretty good" teams with a lot of balance. On any given Saturday, as they say.....

Look around, no one else has this...every other division has some pretty weak sisters

Well, for the people wanting GT to be in the SEC, we really didn't need to go anywhere. The ACC is starting to become just as competitive in football. I think overtime, with the emphasis on post-football economic prospects for SAs, the ACC could become a powerhouse football conference given all the highly regarded academic schools in the conference. We don't have the marquee football names yet, but winning takes care of that. The influx of new coaches helps with that as well.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
My two cents says we have a whole lot of good head coaches these days. In terms of what we've seen recently, it's about time to admit Dabo is really good. Mark Richt is the best coach Miami has had in a long, long time. Narduzzi's team looked sharp and well coached the last two years.

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
Fedora, petrino, fuentes, richt, cutcliffe, fisher, dabo are all good coaches.

The jury is still out on Mendenhall and narduzzi imo. If you include Paul as a good coach. 8/14 are considered good to great with another 2 being mid to high potential. Id venture to say the ACC is one of the deeper conferences in terms of coaches. Right there with the big 10.

stingyoa$$

Jolly Good Fellow
Bro, did DM take your kid's position in high school or something? Kid's a stud, and while I'm not ready to predict his NFL success, I don't understand your motivation to bust him out on his 40 time.

I'm not busting on any player here. I'm merely pointing out the fact that we throw the "stud" label out pretty often and was using that time as an example. After 6 games he has 1...yes 1 run over 20 yards and that was in week 1 and now someone is predicting a long NFL career. LOL. He very well may turn out to be a "stud" or another player could step up and develop into one. I guess I like to see a larger sample of work before I jump on the "stud" wagon.

GTfan4Life

Jolly Good Fellow
I will never profess to be a stat junkie nor having more than fan-level football knowledge. That being said, from my novice eye in the stands there is a distinct difference when Mills has the ball. He has an intangible quality that explodes on the senses as you watch him. Add to that the fact he is a true Freshman with 5 games of experience, and it just feels like he is a special talent. If that is merely wishful thinking on my part, I wonder why I don't have that impression of many more.

As I've stated before, I think it is going to be fun to watch Mills and Lynch over the next couple of years - including the remainder of this one. I think the 20+ yard blasts are coming. And I don't think it will be just against the GSUs of the schedule.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I will never profess to be a stat junkie nor having more than fan-level football knowledge. That being said, from my novice eye in the stands there is a distinct difference when Mills has the ball. He has an intangible quality that explodes on the senses as you watch him. Add to that the fact he is a true Freshman with 5 games of experience, and it just feels like he is a special talent. If that is merely wishful thinking on my part, I wonder why I don't have that impression of many more.

As I've stated before, I think it is going to be fun to watch Mills and Lynch over the next couple of years - including the remainder of this one. I think the 20+ yard blasts are coming. And I don't think it will be just against the GSUs of the schedule.

I don't trust myself evaluating or judging FB players. I saw Keith Brooking play HS and thought he might help us with depth, ST's or possibly contribute as a junior or senior. I also thought Brant Mitchell showed signs of really becoming a real impact player last year as a true frosh...but this year he hasn't "shown out' as much to my admittedly untrained eye. he may still be special before he leaves...but he just hasn't stood out like he seemed to last year.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Just my opinion. Of the BBs on that list, the only BB I'd rather have above Mills is 2008 Dwyer, 2009 Dwyer, 2010 Ant, and 2014 Days.

Dwyer was a sophomore in 08, JR in 09. Ant was SR in '10. Days was a RS SR in '14. Mills is a true freshmen. A lot of the yards he's accumulated has been through sheer physical will. The guys I listed had benefit of either playing against teams who weren't fully experienced against our offense (Dwyer, Ant), or played behind a veteran OL (Days).

I wouldn't go so far as to say Mills is a "stud" right now, but I think if you've watched enough football in your life, you see a special talent in Mills whose trajectory points to "stud". Of all the RBs in the NCAA, Mills has the most TDs of any freshmen RB. That means something. I'm excited about his potential...and if he keeps doing what he needs to do, he'll have every opportunity to reach that elite BB level we think of when Dwyer is mentioned.

I would rather have Mills than anyone except Dwyer, Ant, and Days. He does not have Dwyer's top end speed but he very much reminds me of Ant. Tough, hard runner who is durable. He fits the mold of a Bback just about perfectly. He is also a willing blocker. Mills is just a very fine football player.