A little from last night's radio show

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I told the team we are playing one game seasons from here on out.

Pitt game we probably played the hardest we have so far.

Total stats both offensive and defensive are deceiving because both teams tend to have fewer possessions in our games.

4th and one play was a good call, but we bungled the play. Pitt had scored on 7 or 9 possessions, so if we give it back...The way the d-linemen were slanting, the play I called should have worked. The guy who stopped us cold did not come from the play side [I think that's what he said. Not sure what that means. I did see the guy who made the tackle say he just guessed right on where to be] Back didn't go to exactly the right spot, line didn't block quite right either.

Clinton Lynch is not all that fast. [surprised me. He looks lightning fast to my eyes] He is good at making people miss. Clinton's best asset is he never gets rattled. No matter what the situation, he stays in the moment.

I told the team we are very close to playing good football.

2014 game with Southern will definitely help with keeping us focused.

P J refused to be rattled or dejected by the 3-3 record and the last two close losses. Kept returning to something like "we are 3 and 3. We hoped to be better than that, but we have six games to play. Let's see what happens."

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I couldn't help thinking that Mills had probably missed the hole on the 4th and 1 play. Glad to see I was right. What we shouldn't forget is that he's a true freshman. Dwyer would have made the same kind of mistakes - shoot, he did - when he was that inexperienced. What's so encouraging is that he will - barring injury - get better and better for his entire career. I've been looking for a Tech version of Eckel and he might very well be it.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
There are a lot of examples where a program goes 10-1 or 9-2 and then drops to 5-6 or thereabouts. Unless you are Alabama, it can be very difficult to maintain a program at a high state of readiness "all the time".

That's one of the things I like about this board. Yes ... we lost to Clemson (I hate it!). Yes ... we lost to Miami (Those fumbles, ugh!) ... but both are ranked teams. We played Miami somewhat well and we coulda beat Pittsburgh. Had we beaten Pitt ... we'd mostly be feeling pretty good right now.

I still think we need to worry about the Program right now more than the Team ... but I will be there Saturday cheering the Brave and Bold. Football weather is finally here and it should be a glorious day. Thank God for Football!

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
So was Mills supposed to hit the B Gap on that play?

He was supposed to hit wherever a hole opened up. He cut back to the backside, but cut back right into the DT. No way Bryan was going to be able to block that guy, he was a giant...would have loved to have seen us bring in Matthew Jordan and run a midline there...oh well

Techster

Helluva Engineer
CPJ did sound more upbeat after this loss than the last one.

IMO, the offense is thisclose to pre 2015 levels. Not necessarily 2014 levels, but to the point where CPJ can control the game to minimize having our defense on the field. Saw it really come to shape against Pittsburgh and the long clock eating drives.

If we can get to the point where this offense has been in the past when CPJ used it to control keeping the other team's offense off the field and end up in the endzone, this season will turn around and we'll be bowling come December. I think this offense is starting to click for the guys on the field.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
At one point a few years ago (I think 2014, but maybe 2013), CPJ said he just wanted the defense to get off the field...he didn't care if that was a three and out or from giving up a big play for a score, but he wanted the ball. I imagine that was because we were so good on offense he didn't care.

A bit more of that aggression will give us more possessions and perhaps force some turnovers...I think that's what we saw happen in 2014

stingyoa$$

Jolly Good Fellow
A bigger issue would be...why does this program have to rely on a true freshman at a position of such importance(BB)? The only other position that is more important in this offense is QB. After a summer and 6 weeks of playing, on a 4th and 1, I'd like to think you know what hole to run. That must be what CBC is talking about the "trust" in your OL to open up a crease. The back just has to run hard to where the hole is going to be I guess. It takes some courage to slam it up in there when you know you're going to get hit. Another reason that selling the fake is a huge part of playing BB. It's sets up everything else.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
At one point a few years ago (I think 2014, but maybe 2013), CPJ said he just wanted the defense to get off the field...he didn't care if that was a three and out or from giving up a big play for a score, but he wanted the ball. I imagine that was because we were so good on offense he didn't care.

A bit more of that aggression will give us more possessions and perhaps force some turnovers...I think that's what we saw happen in 2014

I'm fairly certain he said that just after the back to back losses in 2014. Said he had such confidence in the offense he felt that we could always win a high scoring game.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I'm fairly certain he said that just after the back to back losses in 2014. Said he had such confidence in the offense he felt that we could always win a high scoring game.

Yeah, so if we're going to give up scores on 7 of 9 possessions keeping everything in front of us, why not just get aggressive and force some TO's?

alagold

Helluva Engineer
A bigger issue would be...why does this program have to rely on a true freshman at a position of such importance(BB)? The only other position that is more important in this offense is QB. After a summer and 6 weeks of playing, on a 4th and 1, I'd like to think you know what hole to run. That must be what CBC is talking about the "trust" in your OL to open up a crease. The back just has to run hard to where the hole is going to be I guess. It takes some courage to slam it up in there when you know you're going to get hit. Another reason that selling the fake is a huge part of playing BB. It's sets up everything else.

I watched the play--our Sr ctr did not block ANYBODY on a play up the middle--no wonder he got stopped---that has happened NUMEROUS times this yr by various OLs for some reason

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, so if we're going to give up scores on 7 of 9 possessions keeping everything in front of us, why not just get aggressive and force some TO's?

Isn't that the whole point of a defense? Force a breakdown and stop the opponent's drive and if possible, points on the turnover? Just yielding yards and hoping we score more seems like a weak strategy.

Did anyone look at the team efficiency ratings from ESPN? We rate 58.9 on O, 36.7 on D and 51.9 overall (50 is average).

We are relying on a freshman BB because Mills is unexpectedly GOOD. We have other BB's (Marshall, Allen, etc), who are good, and who would be getting the call if not for Mills. But the fact is that they are good, and Mills is GOOD !!!

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm a huge PJ fan, but I'm growing tired of the 'play should have worked if everyone executed' excuse. It's pretty obvious that we can seldom run a play 100 percent correct, so perhaps the play selection in cases like this should account for that and not expect perfection. As many have said, we were having much more success to the outside, so a play call there might have not needed to be perfectly run to work.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I'm a huge PJ fan, but I'm growing tired of the 'play should have worked if everyone executed' excuse. It's pretty obvious that we can seldom run a play 100 percent correct, so perhaps the play selection in cases like this should account for that and not expect perfection. As many have said, we were having much more success to the outside, so a play call there might have not needed to be perfectly run to work.

FWIW, he didn't really make that excuse. He mentioned that there were some things that didn't happen, but he said made the call took responsibility. He basically said what you are saying.

Second-guessing a play-call for a half-yard must be fun for some, because it always happens. I just don't see the point most of the time. If we had gone to the rocket toss, and it was blown up, I'm sure there would have been some that said, "We just had that play get blown-up for a loss of 1 at 2nd and 10, what made you think it would work at 4th and a 1/2. Put it up the middle; we can always get a 1/2 yard up the middle."

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer

Bke I think what you said is rather insightful. Early in the season in 2014 our offense was still finding itself. Once the O began to roll coincided with our getting more aggressive on defense. It makes sense. If you can dominate the ball, utterly wear out their defense, make their offense stay on the sideline and get really cold, then bring a bunch of heat when they do get on the field you seem likely to force a turnover. Particularly if they start pressing to keep up. If not, oh well....give 'em another death march and try again.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer

We went to the outside on the previous 4th and 1 and barely made it due to the spot. Call to go for it was good. Call to give it to Mills was good. Just didn't work.