A little bit of remember when....

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
That must've been a LONG time ago. Student turn out since I've had season tix (2002-03) has been uniformly abysmal
Woah, woah, woah, WOOOOOAAAAAHHHHHHH.

I'm happy to date myself here. I enrolled at GT in '02 and made every single home game during my tenure when I was in town.

First year, I recall at AMC it was easy for most games to just show up and get a seat, though students turned out for the big ones. 'Cuse won the natty that year and I wore GT gear to the Carrier Dome for Bosh vs. Melo. Family felt betrayed. 'Cuse won like a champion that day. Beforehand I asked Ish in class to point to point to me if he had a highlight reel dunk. He laughed... I was lame.

The following year the students got hype. We had to post up outside AMC first thing in the AM. Security and all was cool with us popping cold ones in the cold weather. We ran to the first row almost every ACC game. Student section packed by tip. For what it's worth, I won my pools big by having UConn over GT in the finals. I'd pay that money back x20 for a natty.

Next couple years were mostly the same. We were rowdy, despite clear signs that P-Hew didn't know how to conserve timeouts, yell much other than "motion", and keep his best players in the game when they got hot. Dickey, Smith, J-Critt, Thaddeus in my last year, all made for entertaining games.

Adding on, that year, they would open the Stadium and students would literally sprint as fast as they could to the seats. If you were not there when the gates opened, and weren't willing to run to your seat, you would not get a good seat.
So you either went to the other end of the court, or I beat you to the front row almost every game :). Either way, we must have crossed paths.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Remember when I said that the trip to Maui is the best trip you can possibly take to see GT hoops?

I think they might actually invite us back in my lifetime if Pastner's rebuild is successful, so start saving every hotel point & airline mile now.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
... despite clear signs that P-Hew didn't know how to conserve timeouts, yell much other than "motion"...

you had to do that, didn't you? I had almost forgotten the horror of hearing "Motion" from the bench, no matter what the circumstance. the "offense" back then was give it to [fill in the blank] with 5 seconds on the shot clock and pray. Always felt bad for the kids. they just wanted someone to coach them.

Of course I also am haunted by CPH yelling "Buck!" at Zam after every silly turnover or matador D

99jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
So since some of you are throwing out memories and dates from the your days as students I will take a swipe. I was at Tech Fall of 94- Spring of 99. In other words basically the end of the Cremins era. It's interesting listening to some who are a little younger than me describe a different experience than what I had a few years earlier. When I was there, especially 94-95 - 95-96 seasons, were some magical moments in Alexander Memorial as it was known back then. The student section was full or near full for every ACC Home game. And if UNC or Duke was coming to town we would camp out for 2 days to get tickets. (Admittedly the Cremins era kind of unraveled after that 95-96 season and the memories became less fond and frequent.) The loudest I ever remember AMC was actually a weeknight home game vs Clemson my Frehman year. We were pulling away from Clemson in the 2nd half. Drew Barry ran a back door baseline cut for an alley-oop from TRAVIS Best. Drew was bumped by his guy coming off a screen and got turned around. So he goes up backwards and still somehow manages to catch the pass. He then threw down a vicious, no look, two-handed slam and the place absolutely erupted. We went from about 8 up to about 20 up in about 2 minutes after that. Clemson fell apart because of the noise level. I tell that story, ok admittedly to reminisce a little, to say that I hope that is the direction we appear to be headed under CJP. His passion and ability to cast a vision remind me of Cremins. Also they both embraced the fan base like few do. I never felt that Hewitt or Gregory really understood the importance of those things and this is why they ultimately struggled at Tech.

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
There are tons of great memories Obviously San Antonio was a huge won for me but my favorite was being at the thriller dome for the UNC game where Dennis Scott stole an inbounds pass and hit a 3 to win the game. That is the loudest I have ever heard a GT arena.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
The Cremins era games had to be outstanding. I saw some great games in Syracuse growing up. But my favorite times were with Jarrett Jack, Ish Muhammad, BJ Elder, Will Bynum, Marvin Lewis, etc. Ish alone was worth the price of admission. I'll never forget this play 20 feet in front of us.

Seemed like he made posters every single game.

99jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
The Cremins era games had to be outstanding. I saw some great games in Syracuse growing up. But my favorite times were with Jarrett Jack, Ish Muhammad, BJ Elder, Will Bynum, Marvin Lewis, etc. Ish alone was worth the price of admission. I'll never forget this play 20 feet in front of us.

For about a three year stretch I was optimistic that Hewitt had us on the path back to prominence. Unfortunately, it turned out to be more of a flash in the pan.

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
A great Georgia Tech men's basketball win of the past was Georgia Tech defeating #19 Virginia with,Ralph Sampson and Jeff Lamp,62-61 on February 9th 1980

Are you sure about this? I remember a 72-71 score from the 1984 game when we won. The 80-81 season was the last year coached by Dwayne Morrison and we did not win a single ACC game. I was there and it was ugly....

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck

Julius hodges face after is great

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
How about that time Georgia Tech was predicted to not win a single ACC game and beat 2 top 10 ACC teams... Good times. Good times.
Or the 1959-1960 Georgia Tech men's basketball team Coached by Whack Hyder that went 22-6 going 11-3 in the SEC and finishing 2nd. They beat Kentucky twice 62-54 in Lexington and 65-44 in Alexander Memorial Coliseum. They lost to Ohio State who had John Havlicek,Jerry Lucas and Bobby Knight on the team in the 2nd round after beating Ohio U.

99jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I've been a GTMBB fan since I saw Marbury against Manhattan.

Over the years I have only remembered a few instances when I was actually standing in my living room like a maniac.

1-Shaun Fein hit the baseline leaner against Kentucky at the buzzer. This game was when my parents started buying me GT apparel for holidays.

2-Tony Akins goes balllistic against Wisconsin I. The 2H of the ACC/B10 challenge in 2001. Memory tells me hit 47 threes in that half but I think it was probably only about 4. My college roommate was a Duke fan. It was glorious

3-Will Bynum vs OKST In the FF. I was at a party and instead of being social I was glued to the television

4-BJ Elder vs McCants at CH. We lost this one but I think BJ had 36 points and cemented himself as my favorite player at GT since my fanhood began.

5-Sunday night. We were either up 6 or 9 and Ben hit a foul line jumper to break out of his funk. I got off the couch and clapped like a fool. Glad the GF wasn't there. The dog however was quick to judge me for waking him up for anything less than an intruder or a fire.

Whole point of this is I am really enjoying GT hoops again for the first time since the night Favors COMMITTED. That season was unfulfilling.

I'm also seeing some new faces all over this board which is very cool. Hopefully the fans are coming back.
Peacone I really admire your dedication to GT Basketball. I have been a fan since the Mark Price/ John Salley days. My point is if I had been a fan only since Marbury I'm not sure I would still be one. My hats off to you for that.