A little bit of remember when....

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
I've been a GTMBB fan since I saw Marbury against Manhattan.

Over the years I have only remembered a few instances when I was actually standing in my living room like a maniac.

1-Shaun Fein hit the baseline leaner against Kentucky at the buzzer. This game was when my parents started buying me GT apparel for holidays.

2-Tony Akins goes balllistic against Wisconsin I. The 2H of the ACC/B10 challenge in 2001. Memory tells me hit 47 threes in that half but I think it was probably only about 4. My college roommate was a Duke fan. It was glorious

3-Will Bynum vs OKST In the FF. I was at a party and instead of being social I was glued to the television

4-BJ Elder vs McCants at CH. We lost this one but I think BJ had 36 points and cemented himself as my favorite player at GT since my fanhood began.

5-Sunday night. We were either up 6 or 9 and Ben hit a foul line jumper to break out of his funk. I got off the couch and clapped like a fool. Glad the GF wasn't there. The dog however was quick to judge me for waking him up for anything less than an intruder or a fire.

Whole point of this is I am really enjoying GT hoops again for the first time since the night Favors COMMITTED. That season was unfulfilling.

I'm also seeing some new faces all over this board which is very cool. Hopefully the fans are coming back.

Good list. I was at 3 and 4. I remember in the UNC game when Ish came out of no-where to tomahawk a missed three. Place went crazy. Bynum in that tourney run was amazing. OKST game was great, but so was Nevada game. So was the game where we trounced UConn in some early seasons tournament -- pretty much GTs announcement of arrival that year. The downfall of Hewitt was precipitous, but that Final Four team was responsible for the greatest sports memories I've had as a GT fan.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
Good list. I was at 3 and 4. I remember in the UNC game when Ish came out of no-where to tomahawk a missed three. Place went crazy. Bynum in that tourney run was amazing. OKST game was great, but so was Nevada game. So was the game where we trounced UConn in some early seasons tournament -- pretty much GTs announcement of arrival that year. The downfall of Hewitt was precipitous, but that Final Four team was responsible for the greatest sports memories I've had as a GT fan.

Adding on, that year, they would open the Stadium and students would literally sprint as fast as they could to the seats. If you were not there when the gates opened, and weren't willing to run to your seat, you would not get a good seat.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

1:29 Mark

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
I remember watching Brook Steppe play when Tech first rejoined the ACC. Have been following the jackets ever since.
I'll freely admit that my attention wandered at the tail end of Cremins' tenure and throughout most of CPH & CBG. I had season tickets and went to almost every home game, but I generally expected a pretty lackluster product and was rarely disappointed. There were moments of happiness, but all often a lot of head scratching and "here we go again" moments
Like many on the board, I'm liking what I've seen this year and am blown away by how much better the team has played the last couple weeks. Nov & Dec were awful, but we got away with it due to the level of the "competition". UNC & Louisville are very good. Clemson and NCSU are talented. I don't know if the team can keep this up, but I am far more optimistic than I ever imagined back in October

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Adding on, that year, they would open the Stadium and students would literally sprint as fast as they could to the seats. If you were not there when the gates opened, and weren't willing to run to your seat, you would not get a good seat.
That must've been a LONG time ago. Student turn out since I've had season tix (2002-03) has been uniformly abysmal

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
LOL!! Or I misunderstood the point. To me BBall is all Iso and one on one now. I love to see crisping passing and ball movement, id'ing and reacting to the back cut, proper screens, mid range jumpers, in short team basketball. The NBA in it's infinite wisdom has exacerbated the problem by not negotiating as the NFL and MLB did to avoid the OAD so players are not learning fundamentals, relying on and being paid solely for athleticism/potential. We have more 1st round busts in the NBA than I can ever remember and, for the most part, OAD are not physically or mentally ready for the NBA. I'm well aware that I am in the minority in how I see things but that's just me :)

I wouldn't say you're in the minority in your thinking. I'd say you're focusing on the worst of the sport to describe the sport overall.

Like I said, no winning teams are doing what you're describing anymore. You have to go out of your way to find teams relying on "muh guy's better'n your'n, so I'm finna just drive past 'im". If a 1-on-1 situation occurs, for good teams, it's a result of a lot of the action you're describing as the type of basketball you like to see. There are some clear-outs that occur where the guy waives everybody off and you get 8 guys just standing there spectating, but that's largely by teams too BBIQ-deficient to do anything more complex. Oh, and they typically lose as a result.

Take the MIN Timberwolves, for example. They largely rely on basic, uninteresting "stuff" to score. Wiggins taking his man. Next play, Towns takes his man. Next play, Lavine takes his. Wash, rinse, repeat. As a result, they're one of 3 NBA teams with 3 guys averaging 20+ ppg. The other 2 are CLE and GState. The major difference being those other 2 teams actually run "offense" whereas MIN doesn't. As a result, "efficiency" is only a rumor in MIN as are wins.

The 1-and-done thing is somewhat of a problem, however, it's not killing the sport to the degree many feel it is. Largely, it's resulting in teams in the lottery being perennial residents there as they continue to draft guys based on potential. It's why a guy like Dunn went before Brodgon. Fast forward to now and Brogdon is arguable the ROY while Dunn can hardly stay on the floor/in the rotation for a team that desperately needs him.

ETA: I think you're opinion is spot-on circa late-90's, early-00's. The game's changed a lot since then.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I wouldn't say you're in the minority in your thinking. I'd say you're focusing on the worst of the sport to describe the sport overall.

Like I said, no winning teams are doing what you're describing anymore. You have to go out of your way to find teams relying on "muh guy's better'n your'n, so I'm finna just drive past 'im". If a 1-on-1 situation occurs, for good teams, it's a result of a lot of the action you're describing as the type of basketball you like to see. There are some clear-outs that occur where the guy waives everybody off and you get 8 guys just standing there spectating, but that's largely by teams too BBIQ-deficient to do anything more complex. Oh, and they typically lose as a result.

Take the MIN Timberwolves, for example. They largely rely on basic, uninteresting "stuff" to score. Wiggins taking his man. Next play, Towns takes his man. Next play, Lavine takes his. Wash, rinse, repeat. As a result, they're one of 3 NBA teams with 3 guys averaging 20+ ppg. The other 2 are CLE and GState. The major difference being those other 2 teams actually run "offense" whereas MIN doesn't. As a result, "efficiency" is only a rumor in MIN as are wins.

The 1-and-done thing is somewhat of a problem, however, it's not killing the sport to the degree many feel it is. Largely, it's resulting in teams in the lottery being perennial residents there as they continue to draft guys based on potential. It's why a guy like Dunn went before Brodgon. Fast forward to now and Brogdon is arguable the ROY while Dunn can hardly stay on the floor/in the rotation for a team that desperately needs him.

ETA: I think you're opinion is spot-on circa late-90's, early-00's. The game's changed a lot since then.
The perception, whether true or not, I believe is derived from a) the officiating which makes it easy to drive to the hoop and b) the lack of a midrange game from most teams. I think when you see guys hitting midrange jumpers, you associate it with someone being strategically placed there for a high % shot whereas when you see guys hitting 3’s, even if he was strategically placed there from the offense, you kind of just assume it’s just a kick out pass.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer

As I've said I've not been into BBall to any great extent for a number of years. I juts got so turned off of the game and without Tech in the mix it wasn't hard for me to walk away from it.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
I've been a GTMBB fan since I saw Marbury against Manhattan.

Over the years I have only remembered a few instances when I was actually standing in my living room like a maniac.

1-Shaun Fein hit the baseline leaner against Kentucky at the buzzer. This game was when my parents started buying me GT apparel for holidays.

2-Tony Akins goes balllistic against Wisconsin I. The 2H of the ACC/B10 challenge in 2001. Memory tells me hit 47 threes in that half but I think it was probably only about 4. My college roommate was a Duke fan. It was glorious

3-Will Bynum vs OKST In the FF. I was at a party and instead of being social I was glued to the television

4-BJ Elder vs McCants at CH. We lost this one but I think BJ had 36 points and cemented himself as my favorite player at GT since my fanhood began.

5-Sunday night. We were either up 6 or 9 and Ben hit a foul line jumper to break out of his funk. I got off the couch and clapped like a fool. Glad the GF wasn't there. The dog however was quick to judge me for waking him up for anything less than an intruder or a fire.

Whole point of this is I am really enjoying GT hoops again for the first time since the night Favors COMMITTED. That season was unfulfilling.

I'm also seeing some new faces all over this board which is very cool. Hopefully the fans are coming back.

i beat you by a long shot. i had the privilege of meeting bc during his first weeks on campus back in the 8O's more than once. we talked football both times. i kid.

i was so gung ho that i used to drive from jackonsville along us 1 to brunswick for EVERY game so i could pick up the game on my car radio. well before the internet. me my truck and a 6 pack.
i also used to make a 60 mile round trip biweekly to pick up all the recruiting mags i could find.

the current jackets remind me a lot of those days.

its good to see the nay sayers wrt cjp change their tunes!

go jackets

ramblinjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
One of my favorite memories was 2003 when we won the preseason NIT. Beating #1 Uconn and Ish throwing down dunks for the MSG crowd when no one expected much out of him or GT.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The biggest "flash bulb" moment for me as a GT BBall fan:

I fell in love with GT sports because of the Lethal Weapon 3 run to the Final Four, but that shot by James Forrest till this day remains one of those moments I knew "exactly where I was, what I was wearing, who I was with, what time of day it was sports moments" that stays with you for all of your sports life. I was in middle school and my buddy (who to this day is my best friend) walked to the bowling alley to take on all-comers on Street Fighter 2 arcade game. I remembered that GT had a game on, so I went to the bar area. Being under 21, I had to watch through the window of the bar area. I made it just in time for the inbounds pass...then James Forest made the shot heard all over Atlanta. I screamed like a crazed pre-teen kid (which I was) and people were looking at me weird. I did not care.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
My passion for college hoops was on the upswing heading in to my FR year, but it, along with my undying hatred of dook, was cemented when Marty Clark flipped off the student section as those ****bags (excl. Grant Hill) walked off the court.

Over the next 4+ years, I saw some amazing ACC hoops and for the last 2.5 years, I sat in the front row of the student section except one game.

As I leisurely strolled through campus on a Tuesday afternoon, there was a guy hanging out in front of the Ferst Center, where hoops tickets used to be distributed. I go over and ask what he's doing... dude doesn't want to talk to me. He knows who I am. I'm the guy always 1st in line for basketball tickets.

Realizing what the hell is happening, I ring the alarm, get everyone down to the Ferst Center possible, set up tents, start taking shifts, etc. It was Tuesday afternoon.

By Friday morning, we had our game tickets and for the only time in my last 2.5 years at GT, I wasn't sitting front row student section. Did make a bunch of friends with the crew that beat us out and proceeded to camp out for any remaining games and the entire next season, despite it being subpar.

Camped out for 3 nights and only ended up in 2nd row, Student Section. Still, not bad all things considered, I got to see Steph take on Tim Duncan's SR year Wake team.

Other highlights of almost 25 years of going to GT games:
  • Getting to the Thrillerdome early ahead of Marbury's 1st home ACC game following the renovation and getting a little misty-eyed seeing how great it turned out.
  • Being at this game - http://www.espn.com/ncb/recap/_/gameId/250270059
  • Laying out $700 for 35 tickets to GT vs. Gonzaga in Vegas and every ticket was recouped
  • San Antonio
  • Offering Ish a ride in our cab to the game in Puerto Rico
  • Getting an early taste of what a Louisville crowd is like in Nashville (also, the Brass Stables)
  • Knowing in my heart of hearts that Steve Blake is the all time Ric Flair of ACC hoops
  • Being front row, behind the basket, Georgia Dome, Steph's alley oop dunk
  • Last second Thanksgiving dinner the GTAA put together with the team after 3 amazing games in Maui (the trip you need to move heaven & earth to get to if we ever get invited back)
**** Marty Clark. Go Jackets! Good night.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
Eider vs Mccants was crazy. Also how can you forget Jarrett Jack's buzzer beater against UNC in the ACC tournament?

I was in a bar in Chapel Hill for that shot. Was in grad school, and went to watch the game with my future wife. I jumped up and screamed when he hit the shot, right when the entire place (Hamm's) was dead silent. I paid the bill as fast as a could and walked out of there happy.

tbglover

Ramblin' Wreck
The first Tech game that I remember team was against the team that rooted primarily for at the time, DePaul. It was 88 and Tech won on a buzzer beater by a freshman by the name of Dennis Scott. Great game and the image of Bobby Cremins stuck with me once me and my family moved here about a year later.
Another classic as a Top 10 team in North Carolina featuring the likes of Vince Carter and Antawn Jamison came to the Thriller Dome. Double OT.

Watching a Tech team that was supposed to finish in the bottom half of the ACC completely dismantle the #1 team in the country, UCONN during the Preseason NIT.

ramblinjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I didn't see the one where he went over the guy from Maryland. That was the #1 play of the day on ESPN. Man, that guy could jump out of the gym. Anyone that can do a 360 dunk in a game like that...
I think you mean this dunk over NC State player. Complete breakdown here.

He was a regular on ESPN Top 10 when sports center was something people actually watched.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
My passion for college hoops was on the upswing heading in to my FR year, but it, along with my undying hatred of dook, was cemented when Marty Clark flipped off the student section as those ****bags (excl. Grant Hill) walked off the court.

Over the next 4+ years, I saw some amazing ACC hoops and for the last 2.5 years, I sat in the front row of the student section except one game.

As I leisurely strolled through campus on a Tuesday afternoon, there was a guy hanging out in front of the Ferst Center, where hoops tickets used to be distributed. I go over and ask what he's doing... dude doesn't want to talk to me. He knows who I am. I'm the guy always 1st in line for basketball tickets.

Realizing what the hell is happening, I ring the alarm, get everyone down to the Ferst Center possible, set up tents, start taking shifts, etc. It was Tuesday afternoon.

By Friday morning, we had our game tickets and for the only time in my last 2.5 years at GT, I wasn't sitting front row student section. Did make a bunch of friends with the crew that beat us out and proceeded to camp out for any remaining games and the entire next season, despite it being subpar.

Camped out for 3 nights and only ended up in 2nd row, Student Section. Still, not bad all things considered, I got to see Steph take on Tim Duncan's SR year Wake team.

Other highlights of almost 25 years of going to GT games:
  • Getting to the Thrillerdome early ahead of Marbury's 1st home ACC game following the renovation and getting a little misty-eyed seeing how great it turned out.
  • Being at this game - http://www.espn.com/ncb/recap/_/gameId/250270059
  • Laying out $700 for 35 tickets to GT vs. Gonzaga in Vegas and every ticket was recouped
  • San Antonio
  • Offering Ish a ride in our cab to the game in Puerto Rico
  • Getting an early taste of what a Louisville crowd is like in Nashville (also, the Brass Stables)
  • Knowing in my heart of hearts that Steve Blake is the all time Ric Flair of ACC hoops
  • Being front row, behind the basket, Georgia Dome, Steph's alley oop dunk
  • Last second Thanksgiving dinner the GTAA put together with the team after 3 amazing games in Maui (the trip you need to move heaven & earth to get to if we ever get invited back)
**** Marty Clark. Go Jackets! Good night.
Those Jarrett Jack/Chris Paul games were always fun to watch. I think we went 2-2 against Wake in that time but Jack always outplayed Paul. He could never stop Jack's post moves.