A little bit of remember when....

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I've been a GTMBB fan since I saw Marbury against Manhattan.

Over the years I have only remembered a few instances when I was actually standing in my living room like a maniac.

1-Shaun Fein hit the baseline leaner against Kentucky at the buzzer. This game was when my parents started buying me GT apparel for holidays.

2-Tony Akins goes balllistic against Wisconsin I. The 2H of the ACC/B10 challenge in 2001. Memory tells me hit 47 threes in that half but I think it was probably only about 4. My college roommate was a Duke fan. It was glorious

3-Will Bynum vs OKST In the FF. I was at a party and instead of being social I was glued to the television

4-BJ Elder vs McCants at CH. We lost this one but I think BJ had 36 points and cemented himself as my favorite player at GT since my fanhood began.

5-Sunday night. We were either up 6 or 9 and Ben hit a foul line jumper to break out of his funk. I got off the couch and clapped like a fool. Glad the GF wasn't there. The dog however was quick to judge me for waking him up for anything less than an intruder or a fire.

Whole point of this is I am really enjoying GT hoops again for the first time since the night Favors COMMITTED. That season was unfulfilling.

I'm also seeing some new faces all over this board which is very cool. Hopefully the fans are coming back.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I'm right there with you on all of these. I think I the BJ/McCants shoot out was in 04. It was at AMC and we won. I could be wrong tho. But yea, Sunday was the first time in years, maybe since 09-10 season that I found myself really into a game. Yelling at the tv, standing up and pacing in the living room. It felt great. Hopefully over the next few years we can get back to what Tech basketball was and should be. I miss those days.

Lightbulb

Jolly Good Fellow
March 12th, 2004. Jarrett Jack nails a 15 footer to beat UNC 83-82 in the ACC Tourney. We blew a double digit lead with less than 9 minutes remaining. If IRC, that play wasn't even designed for Jack.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I posted this on another site earlier. The Cremins era made me a die hard Tech BBall fan but since then?

"I enjoy keeping up with what's going with the Basketball team and the updates from the more knowledgeable posters. My interest in college (or NBA) basketball has waned for several reasons and with the decline of the Tech program the last few years of CPH and then CBG I had all but tuned it out. One thing that has truly caught my eye and is starting to revive my interest is what a number of posters have commented on is the team is playing fundamental, team basketball. To me, that's the way should be played. Seeing the extra pass, the hard cuts, the on and off ball D is bringing me back. I recognize the talent discrepancy and but they are playing hard and as the game was meant to be played! Congrats to the team, CPJ and the staff."

Things can and do change! :D

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I posted this on another site earlier. The Cremins era made me a die hard Tech BBall fan but since then?

"I enjoy keeping up with what's going with the Basketball team and the updates from the more knowledgeable posters. My interest in college (or NBA) basketball has waned for several reasons and with the decline of the Tech program the last few years of CPH and then CBG I had all but tuned it out. One thing that has truly caught my eye and is starting to revive my interest is what a number of posters have commented on is the team is playing fundamental, team basketball. To me, that's the way should be played. Seeing the extra pass, the hard cuts, the on and off ball D is bringing me back. I recognize the talent discrepancy and but they are playing hard and as the game was meant to be played! Congrats to the team, CPJ and the staff."

Things can and do change! :D
Spot on. Basketball is so fun to watch when a team is actually running an offense like we are. The game has sort of turned into a game of just athletes being thrown on the floor and 5 guys playing 1 on 1. The rules have certainly forced the game into that direction though.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Spot on. Basketball is so fun to watch when a team is actually running an offense like we are. The game has sort of turned into a game of just athletes being thrown on the floor and 5 guys playing 1 on 1. The rules have certainly forced the game into that direction though.

And that change is exactly why I've drifted away from BBall as a whole!

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

And that change is exactly why I've drifted away from BBall as a whole!

No team that wins plays that way.

ETA: The Kentuckys of the world included.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Maybe I’m just getting old. It just seems like it’s too easy to win one on one matchups now because the defender (barring he doesn’t wear Duke blue) gets called for everything trying to play defense

Oh, I agree with that. Officiating is awful at the college level especially. Pros can still play D at a high level, not so much in college since officiating is so wildly inconsistent.

However, I still contend the good teams work within these confines and actually run offense as opposed to out-athlete'ng their opponents.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Lol, you're confusing the crap outta me.

LOL!! Or I misunderstood the point. To me BBall is all Iso and one on one now. I love to see crisping passing and ball movement, id'ing and reacting to the back cut, proper screens, mid range jumpers, in short team basketball. The NBA in it's infinite wisdom has exacerbated the problem by not negotiating as the NFL and MLB did to avoid the OAD so players are not learning fundamentals, relying on and being paid solely for athleticism/potential. We have more 1st round busts in the NBA than I can ever remember and, for the most part, OAD are not physically or mentally ready for the NBA. I'm well aware that I am in the minority in how I see things but that's just me :)