A few notes from last night's show

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
33jacket is hitting the nail on the head with regards to my biggest concerns of keeping Roof long term. He's not changing his scheme. We will always be the "bend but dont' break" defense. It's like expecting PJ to drastically change the O. The difference is one has been effective, the other not so much.

This is the thing.

YJAlleyCat

Jolly Good Fellow
What's the deal with Jim from Auburn? Is he associated with the program? Former player? Tks. I'll post and read the replies.

There was a show in the middle of the season a year or two ago, when Jim didn't call in at all. The regulars at the show were really worried that something had happened to him and we were all relieved when he called in as usual the next week.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
It's a damn good thing we did not lose the game to Southern. Can you imagine the ***** level if that had happened. I guess we just are not winning good enough.

Go Jackets!

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, I know what press is. I was talking about press. You think we have the guys to press? I wasn't talking about the safeties, either. The corners, when they're off, have the call on how far off.

You failed to address my other point:

Maybe this is why we don't see more press.

Cheese, your first question. You can press and should press in a 2deep 5man under. You don't always need to press in man free or man 0. If I play 2 deep I press for the first 10-15 yards before passing the guy to the S and going back to the flats (i can't get beat deep as a CB since I am passing my deep guy off hence why I can press the hell out of him and force him outside). I can do this myself today as a mid 30s person. 2 deep cb coverage is one of the best to press off of while NOT expose your CB if he isn't deep half fast.

It has a strong tell though. 2 deep CB press...the CB HAS to take inside technique. if the WR crosses his face the game is over. The idea is to line up on the inside hip of the WR....to press him and force him out to the boundary. We SUCK at doing this. I have watched this over and over...unfixed for years. We suck, because we don't have our CB's line tight enough. Needs to change. This is all alignment and part of scheme.

Again, this is WHY scheme can make players better. When you watch a NFL draft, watch how they talk about cover 2 corners vs not. And what that means. We DO have cover 2 corners...right now. But roof is deciding to play way off quarters a ton which absolutely gets your pass D burned from 10-15 yards. Burned.

So we absolutely have the CB's to press. Absolutely. And tomorrow, I would run a heavy mix of cover 2, shell, and cover 2 rolls into cover 3 (line up cover 2, last second ss drops and cb's bail, fs rotates to middle third). WE NEVER DO THIS. NEVER. IN 4 YEARS I HAVEN'T seen it.

So YES. We have the capability.

As for you second thing I didn't address. I have no clue what paul tells Roof. Who the f knows. I do know paul has said repeatedly in public we need to be more aggressive on D. So I have to go with that. He usually doesn't lie to the public.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
33jacket is hitting the nail on the head with regards to my biggest concerns of keeping Roof long term. He's not changing his scheme. We will always be the "bend but dont' break" defense. It's like expecting PJ to drastically change the O. The difference is one has been effective, the other not so much.

I want Roof to succeed -- but this strikes a chord with me as true.

/

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
I want Roof to succeed -- but this strikes a chord with me as true.

/

I think most of us as true fans wanted Roof to succeed. But if something doesn't work you need to change it. We see a similar problem in FSU defense right now, getting killed almost every game. The difference I see there is they are changing things up trying to find the right mix of positions and play calling. I don't feel like were doing much to fix our defensive problems.