A few notes from last night's show

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
We didn't play like the 85 Bears, and I realize how bad we are. But the scheme was the best I've seen from us this year. If you think we can just line up and blow smaller schools out then you're thinking we are better than we actually are. We aren't very talented up and down the depth chart, simply put.

But I am extremely optimistic about our season if we can beat Duke.

This post reflects what I find frustrating trying to have a reasonable conversation with so many.
"85 Bears"
"just line up and blow [em] out"

Nobody is suggesting that. Do you actually feel better about yourself when you use hyperbole to construct a straw man and tben knock it down?

GS scored more efficiently against us than against Ark St.

Milwaukee

Banned
This post reflects what I find frustrating trying to have a reasonable conversation with so many.
"85 Bears"
"just line up and blow [em] out"

Nobody is suggesting that. Do you actually feel better about yourself when you use hyperbole to construct a straw man and tben knock it down?

GS scored more efficiently against us than against Ark St.

It sounds like you just want to argue, but I'm not sure why. I think we're both on the same page about how bad our D is.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I like what he says about mixing it up and showing different looks on D. Cheers to that. I thought our defensive game plan vs Southern was the best of the season, regardless of what the anti-Roof crowd is screaming.

Yet we allowed 3ppd the second worst against southern. The gameplan was really bad on 2nd and long. Go watch the tape. It was ok on first down and second and short.

The scheme had some positive things to it the problem is ted cant get away from doing what he does and his loose zone tendencies. So what happened is they still killed us on 3rd down and second and long

Milwaukee

Banned
Yet we allowed 3ppd the second worst against southern. The gameplan was really bad on 2nd and long. Go watch the tape. It was ok on first down and second and short.

The scheme had some positive things to it the problem is ted cant get away from doing what he does and his loose zone tendencies. So what happened is they still killed us on 3rd down and second and long

Saw the game. Again, this was the best scheme I've seen from us this season. We ran some press, we brought blitzes from multiple spots, we mixed it up quite a bit. I think some of you are confusing the outcome with the scheme. Ted called a more exotic game than he usually calls - just because we couldn't execute and get off the field doesn't change that fact. Follow?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Saw the game. Again, this was the best scheme I've seen from us this season. We ran some press, we brought blitzes from multiple spots, we mixed it up quite a bit. I think some of you are confusing the outcome with the scheme. Ted called a more exotic game than he usually calls - just because we couldn't execute and get off the field doesn't change that fact. Follow?
It's much easier to scheme when you don't have to worry about the pass (or the run). One of the golden rules is defensive football is make the opponent one dimensional. GSU already was.

We basically are, too, but we do that one dimension multidimentionally, if that makes sense.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer

Nope. U are not following me. The tape shows some small tweaks nothing exotic and really bad play calls in down and long situation so sorry if I disagree with you. He called nothing exotic all we did was drop the safety and play more three deep and man which are standard defenses. If this is his best game call then we are in serious trouble more so than I thought. He had multiple bonehead calls in that game allowing huge gains. Go watch the third-down play where where we had a 3 deep look 15 yards off the line of scrimmage and at snap back pedal another seven on a third and 12. Our back 3 coverage was 22 yards off the ball by design on the third and 12 not a third and 30. This is an example of crappy playcalling and bonehead scheme. Its repetitive.

Now this is just one play from memory there were many others. For instance playing off coverage on second and seven and third and five allowing the quick 5 yard slant. He did this repeatedly. It's why we can't get off the field.

So i disagree with you and that's fine; it wasn't a great play call game the only thing positive which I did like is we drop the safety more and played three deep on the backend the problem is the 3 Deep Was Way too much of a bail out and needs to be tighter.

This was confirmed by Paul Johnson and his press conference everyone can see it it's not rocket science.

When you play a team like Southern a great play call game also needs to have better results. What I do agree with you on is some of the first down play calls were more aggressive simple looks but more aggressive. This resulted in second and third and long situations. But then he reverted to conservative back end coverages combined with simple blitzes and southern was in Max protect so the blitz never got there in the coverages were loose they had easy conversions. Again nothing exotic and bad schemes in my opinion. The third down conversion rate is your net result

Just FYI Paul Johnson said he wishes we would play more 2 deep with five man under. This scheme is good for some under coverage it's really hard on seams and leaves big holes between the corner and safety zones. But it does allow for more press off the line of scrimmage with a nine in the box look. We don't run this really much. It's also strong against the run.

Look we can agree to disagree it's no big deal. Any positives Ted did with the defense in my opinion were wiped away by his tendencies on other downs

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Nope. U are not following me. The tape shows some small tweaks nothing exotic and really bad play calls in down and long situation so sorry if I disagree with you. He called nothing exotic all we did was drop the safety and play more three deep and man which are standard defenses. If this is his best game call then we are in serious trouble more so than I thought. He had multiple bonehead calls in that game allowing huge gains. Go watch the third-down play where where we had a 3 deep look 15 yards off the line of scrimmage and at snap back pedal another seven on a third and 12. Our back 3 coverage was 22 yards off the ball by design on the third and 12 not a third and 30. This is an example of crappy playcalling and bonehead scheme. Its repetitive.
Bad play call or bad execution? I've heard CPJ say that cushion size is up to the players. My guess is degree of back-pedal is too. If giving them that much freedom is the problem, then yes, it is coaching.

Also, we have no idea about what is mandated by CPJ. Paul could have told Ted "No homeruns, bottom line." If that's the case, what's he supposed to do?

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
33jacket is hitting the nail on the head with regards to my biggest concerns of keeping Roof long term. He's not changing his scheme. We will always be the "bend but dont' break" defense. It's like expecting PJ to drastically change the O. The difference is one has been effective, the other not so much.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
33jacket is hitting the nail on the head with regards to my biggest concerns of keeping Roof long term. He's not changing his scheme. We will always be the "bend but dont' break" defense. It's like expecting PJ to drastically change the O. The difference is one has been effective, the other not so much.
Read my last point on the post above yours.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Bad play call or bad execution? I've heard CPJ say that cushion size is up to the players. My guess is degree of back-pedal is too. If giving them that much freedom is the problem, then yes, it is coaching.

Also, we have no idea about what is mandated by CPJ. Paul could have told Ted "No homeruns, bottom line." If that's the case, what's he supposed to do?

not the safeties dude....not the safeties. The S ALWAYS align per the scheme; and are instructed to wait or backpedal. And when paul says that its a flex alignment based on a 3 yard feel for the OUTER CBs only. Even the nickel CB has a certain spot because he has run fits too. If you call press YOU HAVE to be on the guy....the off technique is used where you catch and ride the guy; they don't have 10 yard flexibility. We were always told 2 yards from your spot not 7 or 5 or 10.

if its press you are head on the guy. period. If you get a two deep called its either press or within a couple. If its 3 deep its press or tight up to snap then backpedal to bail a bit...but here you show press so the QB doesn't think he has the slant as automatic. We don't do this. We are off 7-10 at snap...giving up the auto slant. To me, this is so correctable to be more aggressive with simple philosophy change and coaching

either way S always have a spot, always...its 10 or 15 or whatever...but they can't choose it. Its almost like saying the X can choose to align on the numbers or not...no way...

Paul has always said he would not mettle in the D, as he wouldn't like someone doing it to his O.

Then you add Ted's record with other schools and the same schemes/issues...I am sure Paul isn't mettling....thats the nice thing about track records

Last edited:

Milwaukee

Banned

Now this is just one play from memory there were many others. For instance playing off coverage on second and seven and third and five allowing the quick 5 yard slant. He did this repeatedly. It's why we can't get off the field.

So i disagree with you and that's fine; it wasn't a great play call game the only thing positive which I did like is we drop the safety more and played three deep on the backend the problem is the 3 Deep Was Way too much of a bail out and needs to be tighter.

This was confirmed by Paul Johnson and his press conference everyone can see it it's not rocket science.

When you play a team like Southern a great play call game also needs to have better results. What I do agree with you on is some of the first down play calls were more aggressive simple looks but more aggressive. This resulted in second and third and long situations. But then he reverted to conservative back end coverages combined with simple blitzes and southern was in Max protect so the blitz never got there in the coverages were loose they had easy conversions. Again nothing exotic and bad schemes in my opinion. The third down conversion rate is your net result

Just FYI Paul Johnson said he wishes we would play more 2 deep with five man under. This scheme is good for some under coverage it's really hard on seams and leaves big holes between the corner and safety zones. But it does allow for more press off the line of scrimmage with a nine in the box look. We don't run this really much. It's also strong against the run.

Look we can agree to disagree it's no big deal. Any positives Ted did with the defense in my opinion were wiped away by his tendencies on other downs

All good. We don't have to agree.

Cheers

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
not the safeties dude....not the safeties. The S ALWAYS align per the scheme; and are instructed to wait or backpedal. And when paul says that its a flex alignment based on a 3 yard feel for the OUTER CBs only. Even the nickel CB has a certain spot because he has run fits too. If you call press YOU HAVE to be on the guy....the off technique is used where you catch and ride the guy; they don't have 10 yard flexibility. We were always told 2 yards from your spot not 7 or 5 or 10.

if its press you are head on the guy. period. If you get a two deep called its either press or within a couple. If its 3 deep its press or tight up to snap then backpedal to bail a bit...but here you show press so the QB doesn't think he has the slant as automatic. We don't do this. We are off 7-10 at snap...giving up the auto slant. To me, this is so correctable to be more aggressive with simple philosophy change and coaching

either way S always have a spot, always...its 10 or 15 or whatever...but they can't choose it. Its almost like saying the X can choose to align on the numbers or not...no way...

Paul has always said he would not mettle in the D, as he wouldn't like someone doing it to his O.

Then you add Ted's record with other schools and the same schemes/issues...I am sure Paul isn't mettling....thats the nice thing about track records
Yeah, I know what press is. I was talking about press. You think we have the guys to press? I wasn't talking about the safeties, either. The corners, when they're off, have the call on how far off.

You failed to address my other point:
Maybe this is why we don't see more press.