A Door Handle?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

"Through the investigation and the examination of the video and photographic evidence, the FBI was able to determine the noose was present in the same garage stall as last fall.

"It was still our responsibility to find answers to key questions. How did the noose get there? Was anyone an intended target? Was this a code of conduct violation? Are nooses present elsewhere in other garages where we race? So let me tackle the last one first.

"NASCAR conducted a thorough sweep of all the garage areas across the tracks where we race. So across those 29 tracks, and 1,684 garage stalls, we found only 11 total that had a pull-down rope tied into a knot. And only one noose — the one discovered Sunday in Bubba Wallace’s garage.

"We further determined that the noose was not in place when the October 2019 race weekend began, but was created at some point during that weekend. Given that timing and the garage access policies and procedures at the time, we were unfortunately unable to determine with any certainty who tied this rope in this manner or why it was done.

"Which brings up another question: How could it have gone unnoticed by so many people in October 2019 through the morning of June 21, 2020?

"Our ultimate conclusions for this investigation is to ensure that this never happens again. That no one walks by a noose without recognizing the potential damage it can do. Moving forward, we will be conducting thorough sweeps of the garage area to ensure nothing like this happened again. And we are installing additional cameras in all of our garages.

My unrequested opinion:

1. It's a noose.
2. Someone tied it to pull down the garage door months ago.
3. Bubba, by luck (or unluck), of the draw got placed in that garage.
4. Confluence of sh!tty timing and sh!tty events all came together to make it a powder keg moment.
5. Media turned the powder keg into a nuclear bomb.

Based on what I've read (and I've only read stuff in this thread) I agree with your conclusion. It doesn't seem that it was intended for anyone or for any purpose other than someone thought it would be a funny pull-down. While possibly innocuous, probably not a really smart thing to do.

I had a conversation with my 21 year old son when he was 17. He is an Eagle Scout and tied the Hang-Man's noose on a little rope he had been working on knots on and hung it from his rear-view mirror. I had to explain to him that although he meant nothing by it, the interpretation by others could become problematic. He undid the knot.

Dpjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Survey says: It’s a noose

Question: What is the historical purpose of a noose? Why would a person (at any time) go through the trouble of forming a noose? For a Door Handle?

Reminder: This was Alabama. Some things just are what they are even as an aberration. Even when it’s not for fishing or boating.

The hangman's knot or hangman's noose (also known as a collar during the Elizabethan era) is a knot most often associated with its use in hanging a person. For a hanging, the knot of the rope is typically placed under or just behind the left ear, although the most effective position is just ahead of the ear, beneath the angle of the left lower jaw. The pull on the knot at the end of the drop levers the jaw and head violently up and to the right, which combines with the jerk of the rope becoming taut to wrench the upper neck vertebrae apart. This produces very rapid death, whereas the traditional position beneath the ear was intended to result in the mass of the knot crushing closed (occluding) neck arteries, causing cessation of brain circulation. The knot is non-jamming but tends to resist attempts to loosen it.

A variation of this knot is used in fishing and is called the Uni-knot. It is used to tie fishing line to terminal tackle, join two pieces of line, or for snelling hooks. It is especially useful when used with slick braided line as more coils can be added to increase the friction of the knot and will not let the knot pull out. It is also useful in that the knot can be pulled down tight to the lure or it can be left with a larger loop that gives the lure more freedom of movement.

The hangman's noose can also be used in boating to secure an eyelet on a rope or sheet without splicing it.

This knot was also used for hauling lines on gaff rigging in sailing applications, usually made with three or more wraps depending on the weight to be lifted. It is still a trusted knot for overhead lifting and sailing to this day

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Survey says: It’s a noose

Question: What is the historical purpose of a noose? Why would a person (at any time) go through the trouble of forming a noose? For a Door Handle?

Reminder: This was Alabama. Some things just are what they are even as an aberration. Even when it’s not for fishing or boating.

The hangman's knot or hangman's noose (also known as a collar during the Elizabethan era) is a knot most often associated with its use in hanging a person. For a hanging, the knot of the rope is typically placed under or just behind the left ear, although the most effective position is just ahead of the ear, beneath the angle of the left lower jaw. The pull on the knot at the end of the drop levers the jaw and head violently up and to the right, which combines with the jerk of the rope becoming taut to wrench the upper neck vertebrae apart. This produces very rapid death, whereas the traditional position beneath the ear was intended to result in the mass of the knot crushing closed (occluding) neck arteries, causing cessation of brain circulation. The knot is non-jamming but tends to resist attempts to loosen it.

A variation of this knot is used in fishing and is called the Uni-knot. It is used to tie fishing line to terminal tackle, join two pieces of line, or for snelling hooks. It is especially useful when used with slick braided line as more coils can be added to increase the friction of the knot and will not let the knot pull out. It is also useful in that the knot can be pulled down tight to the lure or it can be left with a larger loop that gives the lure more freedom of movement.

The hangman's noose can also be used in boating to secure an eyelet on a rope or sheet without splicing it.

This knot was also used for hauling lines on gaff rigging in sailing applications, usually made with three or more wraps depending on the weight to be lifted. It is still a trusted knot for overhead lifting and sailing to this day
Don't be obtuse.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I promise you, you don't want to get into a lexicological or etymological argument with me. You'll lose...badly.

Not picking on you Forensic, 'cause lord knows I'm guilty of it myself, but are semantic debates as prevalent on other boards as it is on GTSwarm? I don't visit other boards that much so I don't know...but dear lord do us GTSwarmers love these semantic debates.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I literally just lost when you said lexicological lol. Shows you how much I know, headed to google now.

Edit: I’m going to use that in a sentence today with some customers to test it out. Please use it in a sentence for me.
If you're really interested, you should read Word by Word, written by Kory Stamper. She's a lexicographer who works to update Webster's Dictionary. It's a fascinating look into how dictionaries are created and how language changes over time. Generally, people don't understand that dictionaries are descriptive not proscriptive. In other words, dictionaries define words based on how they are used. Dictionaries are describing how the language is used not dictating how the language should be used. For example, the word "flammable" was originally "inflammable," derived from the verb "to inflame." But people misunderstood "inflammable" to mean the opposite because of the prefix "in" so the word flammable became part of the lexicon. Language is dynamic and a dictionary is a living document that changes to reflect how the language changes.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Not picking on you Forensic, 'cause lord knows I'm guilty of it myself, but are semantic debates as prevalent on other boards as it is on GTSwarm? I don't visit other boards that much so I don't know...but dear lord do us GTSwarmers love these semantic debates.
I wasn't the one trying to determine what someone else meant with their word choice. I'm confident I understand the meaning of the word "obtuse," and am quite sure I used it the way I intended.

I'm also of the opinion that there are no true synonyms. Each word has a specific and nuanced meaning, and there is an absolute correct word for each instance. However, I don't condescend to correct someone else's use of words, so I rarely get into this pissing contest. I've always had a fascination with words and their meanings. I guess I'd say that lexicology has been a long time avocation of mine.

You certainly wouldn't see such a discussion on the mutt boards. Hell, they're lucky if they even know how to spell, and lexicological would totally stump them.

GT_EE78

Banned
You certainly wouldn't see such a discussion on the mutt boards. Hell, they're lucky if they even know how to spell, and lexicological would totally stump them.
and for the obtuse mutts who know how to use a dictionary, they are still tryin to figger out how person's angle can be greater than ninety degrees :)

mts315

Ramblin' Wreck
Fair... maybe. I have not followed all his comments. But... wouldn't you agree, the "Smollett" equivalence is just wrong?
I will agree that the equivalence is wrong. That doesn't really matter though at this point. Once the FBI came out and said it wasn't an instance of racism the narrative of racism was busted. If Wallace had come out with the second statement first this would have all gone away and everyone would have said mistakes happen and good for Wallace accepting that conclusion and good for NASCAR stepping up and supporting their own. Instead they doubled down and continued to go with the racism narrative and put themselves in Smollett territory.