A Door Handle?

Milwaukee

Banned
The Bubba "Smollett" thing needs to stop. Very unfair. Bubba Wallace (as a driver) is not even allowed in the garage. He never saw the noose. A crew member reported the noose. NASCAR launched the investigation. Wallace had nothing to do with it. All he was.... a potential victim of a hate crime/act. ...& now he's a different kind of victim.

The investigation revealed the noose had been there for some time... that means they concluded Wallace was not a target of any racist nonsense.

Break Break... Unrelated to Wallace, it does beg a question, why was a pull-down fashioned as a noose whenever it was placed there? No other pull-downs at Talladega are fashioned like that. Apparently, NASCAR is looking into that now.

No he’s unfortunately made his own bed at this point and is taking a lot of heat for it, justifiably. He actually doubled down last night in an interview with Don Lemon after the FBI concluded it was all bs. I recommend you listen, he said he did in fact see it. He’s a punk at this point, and it’s sad because people are going to question a real hate crime when it does actually happen because of punks like him and Smollett. They made their bed.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
No he’s unfortunately made his own bed at this point and is taking a lot of heat for it, justifiably. He actually doubled down last night in an interview with Don Lemon after the FBI concluded it was all bs. I recommend you listen, he said he did in fact see it. He’s a punk at this point, and it’s sad because people are going to question a real hate crime when it does actually happen because of punks like him and Smollett. They made their bed.
I pledge to watch the Lemon interview on your recommendation. I saw some quotes...but will check it out. I have not seen the noose in question; but it seems reasonable to me for folks to be wondering why a noose (assuming it was literally a noose) would be placed there. If you say "so what" ... it's just another way the tie a rope handle... then I'll respect you feeling that way. It seems of all the options... making a noose out of rope is below average in headwork.

Your overall point regarding watering down or conflating real hate... is valid & more pertinent.

Deleted member 2897

He’s also making the rounds this morning and saying the same garb on daytime news.

Well, the good news is he is almost 30 years old, he's spent his life around the biggest concentration of rednecks in the country, and states unequivocally on the national news he's never before seen a noose. So the good news is since we know there was no racial attack here, that this unblemished streak remains.

GT_EE78

Banned
He’s also making the rounds this morning and saying the same garb on daytime news.

Does anyone seriously believe that NASCAR and any racing crew don't know what a pull cord is??
Yes, Bubba Smollett and NASCAR owe the US a major apology. Smollett will be the one remembered as he's the crew leader. NASCAR deserves the bigger share of the blame for this for the reason suggested. Most media is unlikely to print a retraction as they prefer that people would believe this race hate hoax was true. Each media outlet praised the "emperor's new clothes" much more profusely than the prior media outlet.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
@Supersizethatorder-mutt are you now seeing why this 'false positive' is a huge problem.

It gives people the ammunition they need to doubt actual crimes when something actually happens.

Yes, the boy who cries wolf is a problem.

What we will disagree on is to suggest that white people are putting up nooses, or some other similar thing, at some kind of rate that deserves anything more than a brief mention in the local paper. It's asinine. There are more noose hoaxes than actual nooses.

We've got to dispense with this notion that racism is a systemic, institutional thing. It flat out is not.

I'll tell you what is a systemic issue: A victim mentality. It's a cancer that undermines personal motivation and responsibility. It also sows seeds of anger and envy, which leads to very bad outcomes.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Yes, the boy who cries wolf is a problem.

What we will disagree on is to suggest that white people are putting up nooses, or some other similar thing, at some kind of rate that deserves anything more than a brief mention in the local paper. It's asinine. There are more noose hoaxes than actual nooses.

So you agree with me then?

Systemic racism is real whether you want to believe it or not. We probably just disagree on the definition of 'systemic'.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
So you agree with me then?

Systemic racism is real whether you want to believe it or not. We probably just disagree on the definition of 'systemic'.

Yeah, you’d have to use a pretty loose definition of systemic, which means “fundamental to a predominant social, economic, or political practice“.

Most people can’t define racism either, so words get thrown around pretty loosely.

When you put the two words together, properly defined, it’s pretty clear that anyone saying this is an issue is just trying to deflect from something else or pushing an agenda.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Yeah, you’d have to use a pretty loose definition of systemic, which means “fundamental to a predominant social, economic, or political practice“.

Most people can’t define racism either, so words get thrown around pretty loosely.

When you put the two words together, properly defined, it’s pretty clear that anyone saying this is an issue is just trying to deflect from something else or pushing an agenda.

There's not really a word to describe it. 'Systemic' is just the closest word available.

But, because people want to believe it's not a problem, they choose to stick on that point instead of listen to what people actually have issues with.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
There's not really a word to describe it. 'Systemic' is just the closest word available.

But, because people want to believe it's not a problem, they choose to stick on that point instead of listen to what people actually have issues with.

It’s not even remotely close to systemic.

If you want a real systemic (widespread) issue, here’s one: 73% of black children growing up in single mom households. That’s something worth spending time on and being concerned about. It’s an incredibly sad statistic (something that is factual and measurable, versus anecdotal claims, some of which turn out to be hoaxes).

TechPreacher

Banned
We've got to dispense with this notion that racism is a systemic, institutional thing. It flat out is not.

I'll tell you what is a systemic issue: A victim mentality. It's a cancer that undermines personal motivation and responsibility. It also sows seeds of anger and envy, which leads to very bad outcomes.

Correct. There is no such thing as systemic racism in the US. There is no such thing as white privilege. However, there is still slavery, but not in the US. It is in Africa with blacks enslaving blacks. There are still hundreds of racial crimes happening everyday in the inner cities, but it's not whites against blacks; it's blacks killing blacks. Abortion kills more blacks everyday than the next 10 causes of death COMBINED. And the streets are filled with protesters against these issues. Oh, wait, no they're not. No one mentions these real problems. They would rather live within their institutionalized victim mentality than face realities. The boogie man is always easier to blame than the man in the mirror.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
It’s not even remotely close to systemic.

Notice that your disregarding what I'm saying and instead are choosing to just toss your views out as the only way to think?

I understand what you're saying but you clearly have no time to even consider what I'm saying.

GT_EE78

Banned
Notice that your disregarding what I'm saying and instead are choosing to just toss your views out as the only way to think?

I understand what you're saying but you clearly have no time to even consider what I'm saying.
looks like 684 pulled out a definition of "systemic" from some online dictionary which would be the same definition that I usually use. What do you mean when you call something "systemic" ?

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

What about systemic racial inequality?

Redlining was legal until about 40 years ago. That means that some minority people who would have first purchase houses about 10 years ago were born before it was illegal to deny mortgages to qualified people just because they wanted to live in a majority minority area. Their parents were prevented from purchasing a house and building equity. That lack of equity could have impacted their ability to attend college, and could have impacted their ability to purchase a house as few as 10 years ago.

I am just pointing out one. There are other systemic issues that still need to be addressed. Those systemic issues are masked by other issues also. Some people ignore systemic issues related to education because some minority children don't have a father in the picture. Stable families are important and do help with educational success, but we can't point at one problem and let that hold us up from fixing other issues that hinder the education of minority groups, especially minority groups in poverty.

mts315

Ramblin' Wreck
What about systemic racial inequality?

Redlining was legal until about 40 years ago. That means that some minority people who would have first purchase houses about 10 years ago were born before it was illegal to deny mortgages to qualified people just because they wanted to live in a majority minority area. Their parents were prevented from purchasing a house and building equity. That lack of equity could have impacted their ability to attend college, and could have impacted their ability to purchase a house as few as 10 years ago.

I am just pointing out one. There are other systemic issues that still need to be addressed. Those systemic issues are masked by other issues also. Some people ignore systemic issues related to education because some minority children don't have a father in the picture. Stable families are important and do help with educational success, but we can't point at one problem and let that hold us up from fixing other issues that hinder the education of minority groups, especially minority groups in poverty.
The fact that you have to point out something that hasn't been a problem for 40 years (actually 52 years with the passage of the fair housing act in 1968) should tell you all you need to know about where we are as a country in 2020. There is not a system in place today that holds any segment of the population down. The American dream is available to everyone.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
I think some of you guys need to watch this video and see what some prominent (non-conservative, as far as I know) blacks have to say about racism ---

This is the empowering message that everyone needs to see. The men in this video are adored by fans of all races everywhere they go, just like Lebron James and these other athletes who are claiming it’s not safe to be black in America.

Yeah, let’s focus on the lunatic 1% fringe, instead of appreciating the 99% that is good.

This is the empowering message that everyone needs to see. The men in this video are adored by fans of all races everywhere they go, just like Lebron James and these other athletes who are claiming it’s not safe to be black in America.

Yeah, let’s focus on the lunatic 1% fringe, instead of appreciating the 99% that is good.
Did you notice the visible jaw drop by the man interviewing Morgan Freeman about Black History Month. He was speechless at what Freeman said and didn't have any kind of comeback for it.