A Door Handle?

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Without diminishing Bubba's courage, initiative, and spirit

It was a standard racing garage door handle in the spot assigned at Talledega. It was hanging there, per FBI, before the team was even assigned the location.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Hopefully he, and whoever told him it was there (since apparently he never saw it but was told about it), apologizes for causing a stir.

Unfortunately, all these 'false positives' will cause people to ignore actual instances of nooses and other methods of intimidation that are popping up.

Deleted member 2897

Without diminishing Bubba's courage, initiative, and spirit

It was a standard racing garage door handle in the spot assigned at Talledega. It was hanging there, per FBI, before the team was even assigned the location.

Well, at least he knows the entire series has his back unconditionally. Nobody stopped first to await any investigation or anything else. They all surrounded him and said “not here”. Good for them, and good to know this wasn’t what they thought it was.

Hopefully he, and whoever told him it was there (since apparently he never saw it but was told about it), apologizes for causing a stir.

Unfortunately, all these 'false positives' will cause people to ignore actual instances of nooses and other methods of intimidation that are popping up.
Why do those two owe anyone an apology? They were not responsible for the noose or the stir about it.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Why do those two owe anyone an apology? They were not responsible for the noose or the stir about it.

I can't speak for @kg01 , but I think maybe apology wasn't the correct word. I believe he is saying that if they: explain what they say and did, show appreciation for the FBI and their NASCAR compadres, and acknowledge that this wasn't an act of racism directed at him: that it will help keep people interested when someone sees something that appears to be racist.

If people (in general) see what Smollett did, see that Wallace doesn't acknowledge that this incident wasn't racism, and a few other similar things happen, people will not listen, and the media will stop covering it. Whether Wallace was the cause of the stir or not won't matter. People will remember him, not whoever told the press, not whoever in the press first told the story, not whoever in the press first sensationalized it. Life as a public figure isn't fair.(Not saying it should be, just stating that it isn't.)

I can't speak for @kg01 , but I think maybe apology wasn't the correct word. I believe he is saying that if they: explain what they say and did, show appreciation for the FBI and their NASCAR compadres, and acknowledge that this wasn't an act of racism directed at him: that it will help keep people interested when someone sees something that appears to be racist.

If people (in general) see what Smollett did, see that Wallace doesn't acknowledge that this incident wasn't racism, and a few other similar things happen, people will not listen, and the media will stop covering it. Whether Wallace was the cause of the stir or not won't matter. People will remember him, not whoever told the press, not whoever in the press first told the story, not whoever in the press first sensationalized it. Life as a public figure isn't fair.(Not saying it should be, just stating that it isn't.)
If somebody unbeknownst to you hung a noose in a tree in your yard, and the police and the media came down on you for being a racist, do you really think you would owe anybody an explanation, other than to say you didn't know a damn thing about it? That should be enough, no matter who the innocent party is and no matter what the circumstances are.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Yes, it was. You said he and the guy who informed him "hopefully ... apologizes for causing a stir". I repeat, why do they owe anyone an apology? They didn't create the stir. Nascar and the FBI owe those two guys the apology.

I'll take @RonJohn advice and change the wording to appease you.

Whoever notified "the authorities" should acknowledge their error which, ultimately, led NASCAR or whoever to produce the media circus around this.

Read 'The Boy Who Cried Wolf' for some research on why this occurrence can be troublesome.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
If somebody unbeknownst to you hung a noose in a tree in your yard, and the police and the media came down on you for being a racist, do you really think you would owe anybody an explanation, other than to say you didn't know a damn thing about it? That should be enough, no matter who the innocent party is and no matter what the circumstances are.

In this case, the appearance is that Wallace cried wolf. Whether he actually did or not doesn't matter to what the public believes. I don't believe that @kg01 was stating that Wallace did anything wrong. I think his concern is for the next person with a potential issue, or the next, or the third down the line. Being a public figure provides some benefit in getting media attention to issues that you are concerned about. It should also carry responsibility to provide protection to those who follow after you and those who need media/police/public attention.

Whoever notified "the authorities" should acknowledge their error which, ultimately, led NASCAR or whoever to produce the media circus around this.

Read 'The Boy Who Cried Wolf' for some research on why this occurrence can be troublesome.
OK, I will buy that, but I hope you see that that is completely contrary to your original post. But let's move on now.

This is not the first time something like this has happened and turned out to be a total hoax --- https://pjmedia.com/culture/tyler-o...-mayor-condemns-nooses-as-hate-crimes-n551996

Deleted member 2897

Well, the boy was a Wolfist.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
The Bubba "Smollett" thing needs to stop. Very unfair. Bubba Wallace (as a driver) is not even allowed in the garage. He never saw the noose. A crew member reported the noose. NASCAR launched the investigation. Wallace had nothing to do with it. All he was.... a potential victim of a hate crime/act. ...& now he's a different kind of victim.

The investigation revealed the noose had been there for some time... that means they concluded Wallace was not a target of any racist nonsense.

Break Break... Unrelated to Wallace, it does beg a question, why was a pull-down fashioned as a noose whenever it was placed there? No other pull-downs at Talladega are fashioned like that. Apparently, NASCAR is looking into that now.