A-Backs...

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
It's funny. I think Cottrell is the fastest of the ABs. Searcy is more slippery and just about as fast. Lynch is smart and instinctive. Green is the strongest. I enjoy them all but they are all different.

Completely agree but Nathan has been head and shoulders over the other when it comes to getting the CB tied up or on the ground in my eye

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
One of the things I liked about the post game presser was CPJ saying that if he had to do it all over again, he would have pulled TQM for a series in the first half. Even though casual fans like us normally don't know what substitutions should be made, it was blatantly obvious that Jordan should have gotten in earlier - if for no other reason than to calm down Marshall. Certainly Clemson would have adjusted to what Jordan brought to the table, but at least we could have made a few first downs and potentially opened up the edges. And honestly, there was nothing Marshall could do in that game.

That being said, we simply cannot wait until the 3rd quarter against UGA and VT if the same thing is happening with Marshall that happened with Miami and Clemson. There is no doubt he gives us the best chance to beat UVA and Duke, but he may not be the best guy against bigger, faster, and stronger defenses. A QB switch for a few series earlier in VT and UGA games might be a necessity to keep us in those games.

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
Completely agree but Nathan has been head and shoulders over the other when it comes to getting the CB tied up or on the ground in my eye

I agree, but Cottrell simply can't make anyone miss. And he can't turn the corner quick enough (because he can't change direction fast enough) to be dangerous on sweeps. In my opinion he hurts our offense when the ball is in his hands. If he ever learns how to plant and turn upfield quickly, he is going to be dangerous. But right now he is tackled in a 1v1 situation far too often.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I agree, but Cottrell simply can't make anyone miss. And he can't turn the corner quick enough (because he can't change direction fast enough) to be dangerous on sweeps. In my opinion he hurts our offense when the ball is in his hands. If he ever learns how to plant and turn upfield quickly, he is going to be dangerous. But right now he is tackled in a 1v1 situation far too often.

I don't agree. I think this last game showed the same problem for all of our A-Backs.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Cottrell is like watching a stock car that is tight as hell. Yeah, he's got speed, but he has to slow down like crazy in turns or he'll be in the wall.

quadf

Georgia Tech Fan
Also, TQM is struggling with the passing game right now. Missed a wide open JJ Green in the endzone last night. And yes, I know he was getting pressured, but he knew what the route was and is responsible for recognizing he's wide open and getting it to him. He's also just way off in the deep seam routes too. Passes too flat and either over or underthrowing. Last night is a reality check that TQM has made it on one skill this year, his running ability. When a team like Clemson cuts that off, his weaknesses are exposed.

I don't think that was an issue of ability, but nerves. I think he just lost his composure. I would've liked to see some easy passes (eg: smoke route) to help him get settled.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I don't think that was an issue of ability, but nerves. I think he just lost his composure. I would've liked to see some easy passes (eg: smoke route) to help him get settled.

I think the slippery field is not kind to Marshall who has really good quicks and cutting ability on a dry field but slippery footing seems to really hurt his running ability. He was not effective in the Miami game either. I was calling for MJ from the second Q forward simply because of the running style difference (power straight ahead vs the dart and dance). Dry field is for Marshall but I am not sure he will have a great game on any slippery field . I also feel that Howad's running style is better suited for slippery conditions (quick hitting straight ahead with power).

Slippery fields tend to more equalize speed difference among players and really hurt any athlete who does not shorten his stride and run on top of his feet.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Perimeter and downfield blocking was atrocious last night, btw.
Bingo! I don't think this was for lack of effort, however; it's hard to throw blocks when your feet keep sliding out from under you.

Still, our ABs have not blocked as well this year as last. Also, TM is still learning how to run the TO. He keeps more often then he should. That'll get better with time.

As to Cottrell, he usually runs under control until he sees a crease. Then he turns on the jets. Believe me, he's plenty fast enough.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Today isn't the day to be critiquing the A-backs. When the QB misses the first read, the DE has the QB and the pitch key has the A back regardless of how well everyone blocks. There's no numbers advantage when you miss the first read.
Agree, but it's kinda hard when a guy is in your face when trying to make the first read. It was like 2 guys were in the backfield at the snap.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The outside run game requires a numbers advantage. Even with one extra guys in space, it's extremely difficult to get by him because of the angles involved. We are running East/West while they are attacking at an angle. It's much harder to juke on this angle. A straight line heads up defender is much easier to make miss. Clemson not only had one, but two unblocked defenders waiting on our pitchman much of the time. Some of you guys wanted TM to pitch into that.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Agree, but it's kinda hard when a guy is in your face when trying to make the first read. It was like 2 guys were in the backfield at the snap.
No doubt, and I think that's why coach told him to give when that happens. On the play where he got bent over backwards he absolutely had 2 guys in the backfield. I was just trying to say that when the unblocked DE is in the QBs face, the TO is dead no matter how well we block outside. I rewatched the first half the other night specifically looking for TO plays where the A back missing a block was the primary reason the play failed. I saw one - on the second series, pitch to CL and the lead didn't get his guy. He hit him, but didn't take him out, and the defender made the tackle. There was one other play where there were FOUR defenders flooding the alley and the lead A didn't block any of them but there's no way that play was going anywhere.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
The outside run game requires a numbers advantage. Even with one extra guys in space, it's extremely difficult to get by him because of the angles involved. We are running East/West while they are attacking at an angle. It's much harder to juke on this angle. A straight line heads up defender is much easier to make miss. Clemson not only had one, but two unblocked defenders waiting on our pitchman much of the time. Some of you guys wanted TM to pitch into that.
Exactly. Without numbers it's no gain. With numbers but a missed block by the lead A and it's minimal gain. Get the lead block and it's 6-10 yards most of the time. Robbie might be the only A we've had that could split 2 guys and make them both miss.