A-Backs...

Jacketman1

Ramblin' Wreck
Can they get more involved? Lynch has been almost silent so far this year. Searcy and Green have been solid, I'll give them that, but neither one of them got a single touch last night. It just doesn't seem like TQM has as much chemistry with this group as JT did. Cottrell had a very rough game last night in catching, running, and returning. Also, I've seen the proposed idea of moving Quaide to A-Back. Thoughts?

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
TQM plays more selfishly. Its just is what it is. Clemson has also made it their gameplan to stop the QB and push the dive and the toss. I was hoping TQM would be more willing to pitch the ball after the failure to do so possibly cost the 2 pt conversion in the UT game, but i think paul will be on his *** all week now that there appears to be a larger gap between 1 and 2 with MJ out

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Cottrell has the Snoddy syndrome. Faster than quick. It looks like it hurts for him to turn the corner and get upfield

Good description of it. Snoddy seemed to get it before his leg injury though.

Perimeter and downfield blocking was atrocious last night, btw.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
If I have a criticism of our coaches, even tho they tried to display it last year, is the need to cut block on every play the ABack. I wish our guys would mix it up on the edges

Haven't they said it's up to the player a bit too? If so, they need to stress with the guys that sometimes it's effective enough just mixing it up to simply occupy a guy long enough to propel the runner.

Way too often they just end up laying in front of the intended blockee.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
I wish we never cut blocked, it looks so dumb having a guy like Shamire flop like a fish when he’s 1 on 1 with a LB. Shamire would win that 10/10 times without the cut, don’t get why we coach to dive at Knees.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I wish we never cut blocked, it looks so dumb having a guy like Shamire flop like a fish when he’s 1 on 1 with a LB. Shamire would win that 10/10 times without the cut, don’t get why we coach to dive at Knees.
I agree on Shamire, but cut blocking is essential to any offense

Haven't they said it's up to the player a bit too? If so, they need to stress with the guys that sometimes it's effective enough just mixing it up to simply occupy a guy long enough to propel the runner.

Way too often they just end up laying in front of the intended blockee.

Yes, but it almost feel like have air quotes when they say that

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Also, TQM is struggling with the passing game right now. Missed a wide open JJ Green in the endzone last night. And yes, I know he was getting pressured, but he knew what the route was and is responsible for recognizing he's wide open and getting it to him. He's also just way off in the deep seam routes too. Passes too flat and either over or underthrowing. Last night is a reality check that TQM has made it on one skill this year, his running ability. When a team like Clemson cuts that off, his weaknesses are exposed.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Cottrell has the Snoddy syndrome. Faster than quick. It looks like it hurts for him to turn the corner and get upfield

Say what you will about Cottrell but he is, by far and away, the best blocking A back on the field. He carry on the 4th and 4 last night was nothing short of fantastic even though he came up a hair short. Hell just handling the pitch was noteworthy!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The Abacks have to help themselves if they want to get pitches. Translation: block their targets on playside. They sucked at it last night. The MLB, OLB, safety and corner routinely shed blocks and gang tackled the Aback receiving the pitch. If you were TM and saw a gang of defenders about to swarm your pitchman, what would you do?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The Abacks have to help themselves if they want to get pitches. Translation: block their targets on playside. They sucked at it last night. The MLB, OLB, safety and corner routinely shed blocks and gang tackled the Aback receiving the pitch. If you were TM and saw a gang of defenders about to swarm your pitchman, what would you do?
What ever the play call, run the other way.
Clemson lb mb safety fly the rush side(just like w f , Clem however beats the cram out of blockers on way to corner

In w / F we went opposite - so did we run the other way and I missed it.

At nd the same thing happened and we were successful w 2 t d passes going opposite of motion. Skov scored twice for high lite of his career and made the nd beat do wn close.

Let's also keep something in mind, last night was TMs 7th game as the starting QB. Playing Clemson at night on a wet field. In 2014 at this point with JT we dropped 2 in a row. It will all come together for him and then you will see more A back production.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Today isn't the day to be critiquing the A-backs. When the QB misses the first read, the DE has the QB and the pitch key has the A back regardless of how well everyone blocks. There's no numbers advantage when you miss the first read.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
What ever the play call, run the other way.
Clemson lb mb safety fly the rush side(just like w f , Clem however beats the cram out of blockers on way to corner

In w / F we went opposite - so did we run the other way and I missed it.

At nd the same thing happened and we were successful w 2 t d passes going opposite of motion. Skov scored twice for high lite of his career and made the nd beat do wn close.
I assume that Clemson with their speed didn't need to cheat with the motion to get outside like Wake did.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Today isn't the day to be critiquing the A-backs. When the QB misses the first read, the DE has the QB and the pitch key has the A back regardless of how well everyone blocks. There's no numbers advantage when you miss the first read.
Can we critique the Abacks who constantly whiffed the lead block?