Film Room A Backs in the Spring Game

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Spoken like a guy who used to play defense..... wait........ oh yeah! I wonder if Robbie Godhigh would have a different perspective?

I don't know if that was Golden. Looked like Golden was the guy who forced it inside but to be in position, one-on-one in the hole, and to look like a drunk at attempting to make a tackle is a miss tackle. DA gave a half hearted juke but nothing to make the Safety to look like that

Last edited:

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I don't know if that was Golden. Looked like Golden was the guy who forced it inside but to be in position, one-on-one in the hole, and to look like a drunk at attempting to make a tackle is a miss tackle. DA gave a half hearted juke but nothing to make the Safety to look like that
My bad, I'm talking about the play in the first post of the thread where Golden whiffed an open field tackle.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Very hard to post spring game video... if one side does something right, the other side did the opposite.

Golden turns the play inside. Andrews is "pushed" out of bounds by the other safety.

Golden has improved on "hitting" as seen in his smash hit in the orange bowl that caused a fumble.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Very hard to post spring game video... if one side does something right, the other side did the opposite.

Golden turns the play inside. Andrews is "pushed" out of bounds by the other safety.

Golden has improved on "hitting" as seen in his smash hit in the orange bowl that caused a fumble.
One caveat on that OB play: the dude just received a pitch and hadn't even turned his head upfield yet much less saw Jamaal. That play demonstrated Golden's knowledge of the game, quick diagnosing ability and closing speed. Open field tackling where the ball carrier sees you coming and tries to evade or truck you was not demonstrated in that play and that's where Golden struggles, imo.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
One caveat on that OB play: the dude just received a pitch and hadn't even turned his head upfield yet much less saw Jamaal. That play demonstrated Golden's knowledge of the game, quick diagnosing ability and closing speed. Open field tackling where the ball carrier sees you coming and tries to evade or truck you was not demonstrated in that play and that's where Golden struggles, imo.
There you go throwing cold water on the Ga Tech football lore we have been working so hard to build since the Orange Bowl. Don't you know how important myths are to any institution, whether among nations, armed services or in football tradition!?

Eastman

Helluva Engineer

Therefore the solution is for him to hit them before they see him coming and try to evade him :)

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Dennis Andrews is the new Deon Hill!

He can run, he can block, he can catch, he can leap tall buildings in a single bound. But most of all he can BLOCK. Coach will play him until he drops next year.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Lance Austin (#17 up at nickel/OLB) could have shut this play down if he'd gotten out and set the edge.
good call,exactly as I saw it--a BIG reason why our plays gain 5 instead of none--poor reaction by def but Austin should have done better,he's seen it a BUNCH

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
The first vid could just as easily be a low light vid of Golden. Dude missed an open field tackle. He can't be doing that in season.

yep, here is a SR still missing these--and not the only time--there was a video of JJ Green posterizing Golden in practice in a drill --the truth is he had to learn to play def (esp tackling) at college which isn't easy

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
??? Golden made one of the best form tackles you will ever see against Miss State...causing a turn over...
Did you read my other post? It was a great play but not because it was a great open field tackle. The guy wasn't even looking downfield, he was still trying to get his head around. The tackle was the easy part. What made it great was his instincts, quick diagnosis, closing speed. His eluding of the blocker and curl into the pitchman's running lane was more impressive than the tackle, imo. He put himself in such a great position, he didn't need to make an amazing tackle.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Dennis Andrews is the new Deon Hill!

He can run, he can block, he can catch, he can leap tall buildings in a single bound. But most of all he can BLOCK. Coach will play him until he drops next year.
I think Andrews has the tools to be the best yet at a-back, and we've had some very good ones.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
One the "negatives" about playing AB is if you're a great blocker and the other ABs are so-so at blocking, you're going to sacrifice some carries to open the way for other ABs. Roddy Jones was a great example of that. Dude ran for over 200+ yards his R-Fr year against UGA and really never had a big game after that. Part of it was because of circumstance, but a large part of that was because he was the best blocker of all the ABs during his time here. CPJ has said on more than one occasion that Orwin Smith was the beneficiary of having Roddy Jones blocking for him.