Film Room A Backs in the Spring Game

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The is a counter option. The MLB makes a very small step in the "wrong direction" (he does very well in diagnosing the play). The A Back blocks the pulling guard's target (DE) because the DE went very wide (The DE diagnosed the play well too). I would think the blocking A Back would tend block the CB on this play giving there is no WR on his side? Ike does a good job hitting the conner with speed and picks up some decent yards.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
The is a counter option. The MLB makes a very small step in the "wrong direction" (he does very well in diagnosing the play). The A Back blocks the pulling guard's target (DE) because the DE went very wide (The DE diagnosed the play well too). I would think the blocking A Back would tend block the CB on this play giving there is no WR on his side? Ike does a good job hitting the conner with speed and picks up some decent yards.

I really like how Marcus picked up the blitz.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Here is Ike (45) making a block for Andrews. Andrews tries a little shake but just does not have enough room to get buy.

Notice the really good block by LT Klock on the DE and the very poor angle taken by the MLB after dodging a missed cut block. Shows that even a missed cut block can still take out a defender by distraction, if not by contact.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Ike gets the Rocket Toss and does well. Andrews gets a helmet on his guy.

And Burden makes the LB look like a "dawg" like he did in Athens (gets him 10 yards off the LOS by chasing him 5 and then driving him 5). Also the WR crackback block threat intimidates a DB into dodging the block and not pursuing the ballcarrier. Good blocking and apparently the memory of past good blocking works.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Notice the really good block by LT Klock on the DE and the very poor angle taken by the MLB after dodging a missed cut block. Shows that even a missed cut block can still take out a defender by distraction, if not by contact.

Yeah, I've seen some comments in other threads confuse the point of the block from keeping the defender from the ball-carrier to getting the defender on the ground. If the defender avoids contact by moving away from the ball-carrier, he's still blocked.

Architorture23

Jolly Good Fellow

Lance Austin (#17 up at nickel/OLB) could have shut this play down if he'd gotten out and set the edge.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
I love watching our lineman roll around. It's pretty amusing how effective we are at sealing lanes for would be tacklers.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
The first vid could just as easily be a low light vid of Golden. Dude missed an open field tackle. He can't be doing that in season.

And that is precisely the pains of spring ball. Good move by Andrews or bad tackle by golden. I do know however that the worst effort/attempt at tackle was Chris Milton attempt at getting Andrews down on his td run. That was a joke.

Chas_Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Think Ike will be the #2 or #3 A back come Fall depending on Snoddy's status. He does not have blazing speed but is elusive and is a solid blocker. Continuing the Godhigh tradition.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Always tough to post spring game video... if someone does something good then someone did not do something perfect.

I think dodging the defenders made for a very difficult angle.