A-back involvement this year

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Defenses this year are making it a priority to take away the pitch by bringing safeties to the corner quickly. Understandable, in that the big plays usually come from pitches on the outside with no one there. It's not how I would play it but they seem committed to that strategy. Fine, Mr. Benson says "Thank you very much"

UGA got caught doing that in the fourth Q and got burned with the pass to the AB. Paul will adjust!

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Our entire operation is usually too slow to get the ball outside. You have to fire ou to get the edge. Our tackles and wide receivers have not been able to consistently block their men and our QB is too slow getting to the outside for the most part to make the pitch and leverage the A back on the outside. Hopefully we will see big improvement as the year goes along but as of now we still have not played well enough to take advantage of that part of our game. That is why we are hammering the middle so much. That is what our current set of players do best.

Go Jackets!

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
And Cottrell's block on the first TD against UNC in the NE corner when Marshall slipped into the corner. Did you notice the new blocking wrinkle when it was fourth and short and Quaide came in at AB, went in motion, and blocked ahead of the BB for the fist down? We may have done that earlier with Howard but I could not get a good look.
Not new per say just haven't seen it in a while. We did it a bit with Cox and Allen at a back

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I would be worried too, IF our offense were stalling out, but it isn't. Generally speaking, I am not concerned with balance, whether you are talking run/pass or inside/outside so long as we are getting it done. I can say for sure that PITT came out determined to shut down the alleys. The other teams I am not so sure.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Not new per say just haven't seen it in a while. We did it a bit with Cox and Allen at a back

I like a coaching scheme where the players' talents are best used. I hope Coach comes up with a wrinkle to use Jones in some special situations (like a 2 point conversion or a third and very long).

BobintheATL99

Jolly Good Fellow
The A back or outside will not be the go to play against Miami. When we play fast defenses the outside is usually shut down. That is until late in the 3rd as teams tire. If CPJ is smart, you attack quick teams like Miami, UGA up the middle with quick hits. Miami's D-line is not unusually large. Now Clemson......I dunno.
Clemson will be a whole 'nuther nut to crack. They can be beaten, but when they put that DE out in coverage and he can keep up with the WRs etc... that's just spooky good athleticism. I'm sure coach will have a new wrinkle for them.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think this has a LOT to do with TM, and our G-C-G interior of the OL.

Let's be honest, JeT for his prowess in this offense, was not a very strong threat to run the ball up the middle. CPJ has no qualms running QB follows, or midline with Taquan. I was thinking about this some the other day. CPJ has never had a "full field" threat at QB...and Taquan just might be the closest thing CPJ has had up till now. Taquan isn't a burner like JeT, but he's got enough quickness and explosiveness that running option schemes outside the tackles. In fact, his quickness in short spaces may be better than JeT's, though JeT has him beat after 20 yards. Taquan is a good enough passer (accuracy and arm strength) that you have to respect our passing at all levels. Taquan also has the ability to create something out of nothing so the defense feels like they're in a bind on every play. As I said previously, Taquan is also a good runner between the tackles. You literally have to defend the full field against Taquan. Has anyone noticed this season that teams are shooting the perimeter on us less often? They are less apt to shoot to motion side. Taquan is making defenses play us differently.

Our GCG OL interior is probably the most talented group of players we've had here since CPJ came to GT. You know what CPJ is? He's a good coach that recognizes that and is going to make use of it. I think once CPJ saw Shamire was able to go extended minutes, he knew he had a core to game plan the rest of our offense around. We're getting EASY 3-5 yards behind Braun, Cooper, and Shamire. Doesn't matter who's back there, Benson or Howard or QFro or Taquan, all those guys are pretty much a lock to get 3-5 yards more times than not. And as the games winds on, and the defense gets worn down, it really shows.

Given the above, I think CPJ is calling plays to our strengths more than game planning away from the ABs on purpose. You have a strong middle, as we do with the GCG, Taquan, and our BBs, you want to make use of it. We all know how talented our ABs are, but now they have to share play calling with those guys being equally as talented.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
In some cases
Could the blocking ab be starting his block to soon? Before the runner is close enough to cut off the block.

Like a pick in basketball timing is important.

Yes heart, effort, legal holding are important, but maintaining block against a superior athlete is going to happen for a brief time.

Part also is the ab not running to the blocker.

At the edge it seems 31 does a good job heading towards 22 block. Seems like others cut back.

Dressed seems to know this better than most

We will get better IMO

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
In some cases
Could the blocking ab be starting his block to soon? Before the runner is close enough to cut off the block.

Like a pick in basketball timing is important.

Yes heart, effort, legal holding are important, but maintaining block against a superior athlete is going to happen for a brief time.

Part also is the ab not running to the blocker.

At the edge it seems 31 does a good job heading towards 22 block. Seems like others cut back.

Dressed seems to know this better than most

We will get better IMO
Blocks in space against great athletes is a tall order. We have to remember how difficult this is. We don't expect a MLB hitter to get a hit every time. Infact, getting a hit a mere 30% of the time (batting 300) is considered a great hitter. It's similar, but not to that extent, with making these open field cut blocks.

Also, we don't necessarily have to get guys on the ground to open a crease enough for the back to get through. Sometimes, just getting in the way for just a split second is all that is needed. Sometimes we do have to get 'em on the ground, though.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
This has definitely become much more of a power team with a slash of finesse.
The pitches will come but I just think CPJ likes the strength at G-C-G and the bbacks/QB combo as runners in the interior.

@Boomergump I am concerned with the passing. The next four games (well maybe minus Virginia) will be teams with fast athletic defenses that will play the box. GT will have to be able to strike in the passing game to keep them honest and be able to keep the offense moving.