A-back involvement this year

MountPGT1990

Banned
I haven't checked the A-back stats this year, but just from watching seems like this is the least they have ever been involved with toting the rock or catching passes in CPJ's tenure. Can anyone confirm?

I remember Qua making some good catches vs Tenn and JJ G. had a TD catch vs Jax St. but outside of that, seems like A-backs are hardly involved this year compared to previous nines years under CPJ (outside of blocking).

I realize our OL strength is G-C-G and it's pretty obvious CPJ is exploiting that with B back and QB.
I understand we take what the defense gives us, maybe everybody we have played thus far has designed their game plan around taking away the pitch for Abacks?, but seems like A-backs are hardly making any big plays compared to normal.

I believe we have been able to get away with hardly having A-backs contribute so far but starting against Miami and for rest of the season, I think this group will be key to our success. I'm so ready to see CL get back to making plays, I don't know if he's still hurt or what, but he doesn't seem the same this year. NC has been pretty quite since Tenn. Qua has made some good catches, but haven't really seen him have much success on long runs this year.

Just my observation about A-backs and was wondering if some of you X and O guys might have an answer as to why A-backs don't seem to be involved as much with carrying the ball this year?

travgt01

Ramblin' Wreck
I think TM has something to do with that. Also we haven't played a D worth a **** yet. Any D that is will try to take away the dive play first, and none of them have been able to do that. Dunno if it will be any different against da u though bc their speed usually eats up the option plays.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I'm sure he made some other nice plays that allowed Benson or Marshall to look good too. Have not watched the replay.

---

MountPGT1990

Banned
I'm sure he made some other nice plays that allowed Benson or Marshall to look good too. Have not watched the replay.

That's also kind of my point......I'm not talking about blocking. I'm talking about toting the rock and catching passes......making plays. This has to be the least involved the A backs have ever been in a decade in play making ( ball in their hands or catching passes)

AtWork

Jolly Good Fellow
No reason to play those cards yet. If your first option, pun intended, is working...go with it. They'll get involved as the season goes on.

MountPGT1990

Banned
This was the first game that the edge was there on the option pitch, but they did cover the rocket toss well. When Marshall comes back, I bet we'll be able to work the edge a bit better.

I agree, we need Marshall back for Miami for his blocking (by far our best tackle) . I think A backs being able to hit the edge will be key to us winning vs Canes, which kind of has me concerned considering how little they have been involved so far this year. Time will tell....

This was the first game that the edge was there on the option pitch, but they did cover the rocket toss well. When Marshall comes back, I bet we'll be able to work the edge a bit better.
CPJ stated we had two starting tackles out, so we have been struggling. This prompted Chip Kelly to remark, "they just rushed for 403 yards, and the Coach says that they are struggling. Any coach in America would love to struggle for 400 yards a game."

If the dive and the qb keeper are productive, no need to go to the higher risk pitch plays. There have been some timing issues it seems with the spatial relationship between A-backs and QB. It is improving, but it is not perfected yet.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't checked the A-back stats this year, but just from watching seems like this is the least they have ever been involved with toting the rock or catching passes in CPJ's tenure. Can anyone confirm?

I remember Qua making some good catches vs Tenn and JJ G. had a TD catch vs Jax St. but outside of that, seems like A-backs are hardly involved this year compared to previous nines years under CPJ (outside of blocking).

I realize our OL strength is G-C-G and it's pretty obvious CPJ is exploiting that with B back and QB.
I understand we take what the defense gives us, maybe everybody we have played thus far has designed their game plan around taking away the pitch for Abacks?, but seems like A-backs are hardly making any big plays compared to normal.

I believe we have been able to get away with hardly having A-backs contribute so far but starting against Miami and for rest of the season, I think this group will be key to our success. I'm so ready to see CL get back to making plays, I don't know if he's still hurt or what, but he doesn't seem the same this year. NC has been pretty quite since Tenn. Qua has made some good catches, but haven't really seen him have much success on long runs this year.

Just my observation about A-backs and was wondering if some of you X and O guys might have an answer as to why A-backs don't seem to be involved as much with carrying the ball this year?
Stats: QB/BB/AB rock-toting distribution, 2008-present

The A back or outside will not be the go to play against Miami. When we play fast defenses the outside is usually shut down. That is until late in the 3rd as teams tire. If CPJ is smart, you attack quick teams like Miami, UGA up the middle with quick hits. Miami's D-line is not unusually large. Now Clemson......I dunno.

jacobchbe

Jolly Good Fellow
The A back or outside will not be the go to play against Miami. When we play fast defenses the outside is usually shut down. That is until late in the 3rd as teams tire. If CPJ is smart, you attack quick teams like Miami, UGA up the middle with quick hits. Miami's D-line is not unusually large. Now Clemson......I dunno.

Come out in Shotgun and go over the top.

image.png

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
If the dive and the qb keeper are productive, no need to go to the higher risk pitch plays. There have been some timing issues it seems with the spatial relationship between A-backs and QB. It is improving, but it is not perfected yet.

Dunno about higher risk. QB and BB haven't been protecting the football very well. My bigger concern is them taking too many hits and getting banged up over the season. Spreading the ball around is on our agenda, although we will take what the defense gives us.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
The ABs may not be getting the carries yet, but they are absolutely busting their tails downfield blocking.

Go watch KB's 63 yarder. Qua comes from behind him (again!) and makes the key block even while he is having to turn the guy side to side to maintain the block. It's beautiful!

Sideways

Helluva Engineer

Defenses this year are making it a priority to take away the pitch by bringing safeties to the corner quickly. Understandable, in that the big plays usually come from pitches on the outside with no one there. It's not how I would play it but they seem committed to that strategy. Fine, Mr. Benson says "Thank you very much"

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
The ABs may not be getting the carries yet, but they are absolutely busting their tails downfield blocking.

Go watch KB's 63 yarder. Qua comes from behind him (again!) and makes the key block even while he is having to turn the guy side to side to maintain the block. It's beautiful!

And Cottrell's block on the first TD against UNC in the NE corner when Marshall slipped into the corner. Did you notice the new blocking wrinkle when it was fourth and short and Quaide came in at AB, went in motion, and blocked ahead of the BB for the fist down? We may have done that earlier with Howard but I could not get a good look.