#98 Tyler Vernon, RS SO DL

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
For sentimental reasons and the fact that his son was on the team, I defended Coach Roof from personal acquaintances that were detractors as long as I could but the trend was undeniable. A change needed to be made and it is a shame because he loves Tech and had improved recruiting to some extent as far as I could tell. Florida went through a similar trial with Coach Ron Zook when he was defensive coordinator for the Gators in the early 1990s. The difference was that the Old Ball Coach wanted Zook's defense off the field quicker so he could call more plays.
Good post.
From what i heard the ball coach told the dc that numerous times.
I will never understand how a player like TR would not have accepted the instruction with glee.

TR did improve the recruiting of more athletic players

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Tyler will be competing to move up the depth chart this year, seeing if a new defense suits his skills
12008490.jpeg

You know, this is really strange as I am sure Tyler is a fine young man but he bears an uncanny likeness to my cousin who was a marine back in the day during the Vietnam War. A one man killing machine. When he was coming home from the war and was walking though the LA airport a young woman who was apparently one of those hippie anti war protestors made the mistake of running up to him screaming "Baby Killer" among other things. He broke her jaw with one punch. My father had to go out there and get him out of jail. Dad always said he was a psychopath. But with help and counseling he got over his mental anguish and made something of himself. He became a nurse and an instructor at a university for nursing. Play hard Tyler and get that degree.

He wasn't that great with Auburn talent during their NC run in 2010/11. While his schemes were less complicated than Al Groh's, pretty much every scheme was. When I hear about the 3-4 keys for the LBs, I don't think CFB players have the time to understand what scheme is called plus make 3 key reads in the 10 seconds with the HUNH offenses.

Sounds like Woody has made it 1 key for each player, plus less schemes (we'll see if that increases). I could wrong, but it sounds like the equivalent of an option defense. Keys dictate the action. So the complexity comes from the reads and not the defensive call. We aren't typically facing NFL level QBs, so this style may be more beneficial.

Roof's style seemed to lead us to players out of position and too soft to make a play on the ball. We were basically waiting for mistakes and hoping for FGs. Now we're hoping to force mistakes, but we'll give up more big plays. Sounds like excitement for one side or the other will happen when our D takes the field.

And on Tyler Vernon, sounds like at the worst he's a great Scout Team member who will push for the 2 deep. A good contribution from a walk on.
Auburn fans I know at my church in Augusta despised Roof and his defense at Auburn

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
I agree with the spirit of this post. I just want to add that our O tends to make per game stats on D look better than they actually sre
Agreed, IF we have a " good " O line, a QB that can throw a pass and complete it, to enable us to consistently move the chains and dominate TOP. If , not , we are the last 3 games of last year.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Agreed, IF we have a " good " O line, a QB that can throw a pass and complete it, to enable us to consistently move the chains and dominate TOP. If , not , we are the last 3 games of last year.
know what u mean - about end of year.

after being beaten by virginia

we beat virginia tech.

were ahead of duke at half time

then scored 7 points while duke and uga scored 50 plus.

next year!

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Auburn fans I know at my church in Augusta despised Roof and his defense at Auburn

https://www.thewareaglereader.com/2011/07/wait-was-auburns-2010-defense-actually-you-know-good/

This article from after the 2010 national champ run they had. In 2010 Auburn was 6th nationally in fei, 36th fei by football outsiders per play fei. 12th in the nation in sacks and 12th in tackles for loss. Auburn fans hated the “stop the run first and give up a ton of passes in a porous pass D, but...that D was thought of as....wait for it....”aggressive”.

Yes he benefited greatly from the play of Nick Fairly. Every good D benefits from good talent. Only 2 members of their 2010 D got drafted though. I don’t know how many made a team through free agency or ever played in the NFL.

I think in the last couple years our D line has become much more stout at the los getting some push instead of being pushed back consistently. We greatly improved in short yardage running situations imo. But in other situations we have been atrocious in getting to the QB and making many TFL.

I hope the new scheme is the magic elixir. But I’m not counting on a stark improvement. If it happens no one will be happier about it than me.

https://www.thewareaglereader.com/2011/07/wait-was-auburns-2010-defense-actually-you-know-good/

This article from after the 2010 national champ run they had. In 2010 Auburn was 6th nationally in fei, 36th fei by football outsiders per play fei. 12th in the nation in sacks and 12th in tackles for loss. Auburn fans hated the “stop the run first and give up a ton of passes in a porous pass D, but...that D was thought of as....wait for it....”aggressive”.

Yes he benefited greatly from the play of Nick Fairly. Every good D benefits from good talent. Only 2 members of their 2010 D got drafted though. I don’t know how many made a team through free agency or ever played in the NFL.

I think in the last couple years our D line has become much more stout at the los getting some push instead of being pushed back consistently. We greatly improved in short yardage running situations imo. But in other situations we have been atrocious in getting to the QB and making many TFL.

I hope the new scheme is the magic elixir. But I’m not counting on a stark improvement. If it happens no one will be happier about it than me.
I will take, and actually expect, incremental improvement from the start. And as time goes by, well.........

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Did Roof have the DL attack gaps rather than engaging the OL and then reading the play. Seemed to always engage but I watched the ball carrier during games so I wasn't really watching the line. Just seemed to always see our DL locked up by the OL and couldn't get off the block - er, hold.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Did Roof have the DL attack gaps rather than engaging the OL and then reading the play. Seemed to always engage but I watched the ball carrier during games so I wasn't really watching the line. Just seemed to always see our DL locked up by the OL and couldn't get off the block - er, hold.
Yes - the hit straight on - but the real problem was the amount of time they spent locked up. They would chuck, chuck peak, then go . but by then they were in they grasp or if double teamed they were next to the lb.
With no rush and the db s well off the line , the offense only had to be conservative w passing to move the ball.

our plan seemed to be "if we played perfect on offense and the defense let them score slowly we won't be blown out and we will have a chance."

The problem was that against a good team or a good passer - they could ( if they wanted to ) beat our defense w longer passes. last year our plan of keeping the defense on the field failed

We are about to find out if the offense will get stronger as the game goes into 4th q because the new defense is gojng to actually take quicker reads at the dl, lb, db. The offense better be ready to get back on the field. More risk to get the O on the field

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Yes - the hit straight on - but the real problem was the amount of time they spent locked up. They would chuck, chuck peak, then go . but by then they were in they grasp or if double teamed they were next to the lb.
With no rush and the db s well off the line , the offense only had to be conservative w passing to move the ball.

our plan seemed to be "if we played perfect on offense and the defense let them score slowly we won't be blown out and we will have a chance."

The problem was that against a good team or a good passer - they could ( if they wanted to ) beat our defense w longer passes. last year our plan of keeping the defense on the field failed

We are about to find out if the offense will get stronger as the game goes into 4th q because the new defense is gojng to actually take quicker reads at the dl, lb, db. The offense better be ready to get back on the field. More risk to get the O on the field

Then, let’s hope our QB’s passing is greatly improved this year...

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
For sentimental reasons and the fact that his son was on the team, I defended Coach Roof from personal acquaintances that were detractors as long as I could but the trend was undeniable. A change needed to be made and it is a shame because he loves Tech and had improved recruiting to some extent as far as I could tell. Florida went through a similar trial with Coach Ron Zook when he was defensive coordinator for the Gators in the early 1990s. The difference was that the Old Ball Coach wanted Zook's defense off the field quicker so he could call more plays.

It was time for Ted Roof to move on. My problem with Roof leaving, the offensive line coaching staff was kept intact. Both have not impressed me with their coaching or recruiting.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
It was time for Ted Roof to move on. My problem with Roof leaving, the offensive line coaching staff was kept intact. Both have not impressed me with their coaching or recruiting.

I am afraid that Coach Johnson is joined at the hip, in a manner of speaking, with the offensive line coach whose name I fear to write lest an epic meltdown occur as usually happens when he appears on this site. There is a lot about recruiting that does not impress me especially when you consider that we are no longer a factor in recruiting in our own backyard. Absolutely unacceptable, we can and must do better or we can accept a long slow decline to mediocrity or worse. Do we really want to be like Tulane or Vanderbilt and have to scramble for scraps left over after UGA, Auburn, Florida, Clemson et.al finish picking the state clean of football talent? That is the direction we are headed unless fundamental changes are made across the board in curriculum, administration support of athletics, alumni support, student involvement, and most especially commitment of resources devoted solely to recruiting and development of better relationships with high school coaches. It can be done but will require a changed mindset of the current "Hill Nerds" in recognizing that the days of being like Harvard during the week and playing like Notre Dame on Saturday are gone with the wind.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

Any defense with Nick Fairly on it is probably going to be seen by the likes of us as being "aggressive". In spite of those glowing stats, my nephews and their wives who are all big Auburn fans bitched constantly about the defense. We should have such problems.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I am afraid that Coach Johnson is joined at the hip, in a manner of speisman's Ghost. eaking, with the offensive line coach whose name I fear to write lest an epic meltdown occur as usually happens when he appears on this site. There is a lot about recruiting that does not impress me especially when you consider that we are no longer a factor in recruiting in our own backyard. Absolutely unacceptable, we can and must do better or we can accept a long slow decline to mediocrity or worse. Do we really want to be like Tulane or Vanderbilt and have to scramble for scraps left over after UGA, Auburn, Florida, Clemson et.al finish picking the state clean of football talent? That is the direction we are headed unless fundamental changes are made across the board in curriculum, administration support of athletics, alumni support, student involvement, and most especially commitment of resources devoted solely to recruiting and development of better relationships with high school coaches. It can be done but will require a changed mindset of the current "Hill Nerds" in recognizing that the days of being like Harvard during the week and playing like Notre Dame on Saturday are gone with the wind.
i like your handle Heisman's Ghost.
Your date of joining swarm is recent, yet your post about the site melting down with any criticism of Coach is prescient.
2018 is important for the ol.

As for scraps - our run spread offense can't use the scraps from top teams. If we were a passing offense - we could be in the running for qb HUNTER - who is leaving Clem - word is Duke is in running for his services. I like our run offense but if we ever change coaches , i hope we are more of a wide open passing offense like oklahoma state.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I am afraid that Coach Johnson is joined at the hip, in a manner of speaking, with the offensive line coach whose name I fear to write lest an epic meltdown occur as usually happens when he appears on this site. There is a lot about recruiting that does not impress me especially when you consider that we are no longer a factor in recruiting in our own backyard. Absolutely unacceptable, we can and must do better or we can accept a long slow decline to mediocrity or worse. Do we really want to be like Tulane or Vanderbilt and have to scramble for scraps left over after UGA, Auburn, Florida, Clemson et.al finish picking the state clean of football talent? That is the direction we are headed unless fundamental changes are made across the board in curriculum, administration support of athletics, alumni support, student involvement, and most especially commitment of resources devoted solely to recruiting and development of better relationships with high school coaches. It can be done but will require a changed mindset of the current "Hill Nerds" in recognizing that the days of being like Harvard during the week and playing like Notre Dame on Saturday are gone with the wind.

We see this over and over and over. But rarely, if ever, is it followed by realistic methods of changing the mindset of the "Hill Nerds". TStan is off to a good start and is reaching out to the fans who want to be involved and help but who are not big money. Worry about helping TStan and his work/oversight with the GTAA and forget about changing the"Hill Nerds", that ain't going to happen

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
We see this over and over and over. But rarely, if ever, is it followed by realistic methods of changing the mindset of the "Hill Nerds". TStan is off to a good start and is reaching out to the fans who want to be involved and help but who are not big money. Worry about helping TStan and his work/oversight with the GTAA and forget about changing the"Hill Nerds", that ain't going to happen

Well, changing the "mindset" was probably a poor choice of words on my part. What I meant was to bypass them, make them irrelevant, diminish their impact on our program in ways large and small. I do know that recruiting is the lifeblood of any football program and it determines the ultimate destiny. If our recruiting does not improve, it is only a matter of time before we join Tulane, Rice, SMU, and others with a once vibrant and proud football program reduced to irrelevancy.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Well, changing the "mindset" was probably a poor choice of words on my part. What I meant was to bypass them, make them irrelevant, diminish their impact on our program in ways large and small. I do know that recruiting is the lifeblood of any football program and it determines the ultimate destiny. If our recruiting does not improve, it is only a matter of time before we join Tulane, Rice, SMU, and others with a once vibrant and proud football program reduced to irrelevancy.

Got it! That can be done but it's going to take us fans to open our wallets. For the first time in a very long time I have hope the GTAA is starting to head in the right direction. It's going to take time to completely turn it around but we're already the efforts and that's all I can ask for at this point.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Follow the money.

Does Gtaa have access to the Alumni Assoc list of alumni?

What percent of ga tech budget comes from research dept?

What is the % for Athletics?

Iirc
no, 25% plus, 7%

Does the admin at gt need athletics as much as a university w o a great research dept?

HOWEVER GTAA- has been terrible at marketing .

jmo
Till gtaa can show it can create buzz the AA and the hill are not going out on a limb to work w them.

go tyler! i hope u make the 2 deep!