#98 Tyler Vernon, RS SO DL

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Tyler will be competing to move up the depth chart this year, seeing if a new defense suits his skills
12008490.jpeg

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
This guy will make a contribution. I watched him at the Spring game and he can play. I wish he weighed about 20 more lbs. If he can continue to build strength, he may be a front line player by the end of this season.

Go Jackets!

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Out of high school he was a 210 lb. DE, now listed at 231. Is he going to be at linebacker or DE?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Studying Biology.
Looked athletic on special teams.

Lets hope he stays for rs junior and senior year as he could be a real contributor.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I had a few classes with Tyler in high school and was able to watch him for 4 years at Mill Creek. The dude has an unbelievable motor and will give everything he has on every play. I feel like he was kind of held back by Roof, but Woody's scheme fits him perfectly. I don't expect him to start because I believe that we have some more talented players than him. However, I expect him to be a nice depth piece and a decent contributor in this defense.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
I had a few classes with Tyler in high school and was able to watch him for 4 years at Mill Creek. The dude has an unbelievable motor and will give everything he has on every play. I feel like he was kind of held back by Roof, but Woody's scheme fits him perfectly. I don't expect him to start because I believe that we have some more talented players than him. However, I expect him to be a nice depth piece and a decent contributor in this defense.
Just wondering , were any players NOT held back by Roof ??

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Just wondering , were any players NOT held back by Roof ??

Well, to be charitable, there was some development in some players over the year but whatever positive vibes there might have been were snuffed out by the Duke debacle and the Miami meltdown. After looking at Athlon's article on our prospects for next year and the defensive stats from last year. It can't get much worse. We were 63rd in scoring defense but only 33rd in total defense. There were several games when the defense played well including Jacksonville State, Pitt, UNC, Wake, and Virginia Tech. But golly gee whiz, giving up 43 to Duke who had lost to Army the week before? Not to mention, 40 and 38 to UVA and UGA. Unacceptable. I hate to say it but Coach Roof had just about worn out his welcome here. Problem is, that losing the Austins, Simmons, Step, and AJ Gray might prove to torpedo this year's defense as well no matter who the coach is or what the change in scheme might be. But then, I bet we don't lose any games to last minute drives based on multiple bubble screens either. Incidentally, Athlon's article about us is, well, not too exciting. They apparently think we just do not have the players. They may be right but then we seldom do have "the players" as figured by most experts.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Well, to be charitable, there was some development in some players over the year but whatever positive vibes there might have been were snuffed out by the Duke debacle and the Miami meltdown. After looking at Athlon's article on our prospects for next year and the defensive stats from last year. It can't get much worse. We were 63rd in scoring defense but only 33rd in total defense. There were several games when the defense played well including Jacksonville State, Pitt, UNC, Wake, and Virginia Tech. But golly gee whiz, giving up 43 to Duke who had lost to Army the week before? Not to mention, 40 and 38 to UVA and UGA. Unacceptable. I hate to say it but Coach Roof had just about worn out his welcome here. Problem is, that losing the Austins, Simmons, Step, and AJ Gray might prove to torpedo this year's defense as well no matter who the coach is or what the change in scheme might be. But then, I bet we don't lose any games to last minute drives based on multiple bubble screens either. Incidentally, Athlon's article about us is, well, not too exciting. They apparently think we just do not have the players. They may be right but then we seldom do have "the players" as figured by most experts.

I agree with the spirit of this post. I just want to add that our O tends to make per game stats on D look better than they actually sre

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I agree with the spirit of this post. I just want to add that our O tends to make per game stats on D look better than they actually sre
Yep. Which means, of course, that our defense has been pretty much substandard for quite some time. I believe this is a reflection of the recruiting problems we have with getting defensive tackles and ends more than anything else. I was struck, (may be reading too much into this) by the tone of Athlon's review. Not dismissive or really negative just not expecting too much. Maybe a minor bowl team and that is about as good as it gets seems to have been their take on our team. They may be right but I am not ready to throw in the towel on a team with a boatload of seniors who have been in this system on offense for quite some time.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Yep. Which means, of course, that our defense has been pretty much substandard for quite some time. I believe this is a reflection of the recruiting problems we have with getting defensive tackles and ends more than anything else. I was struck, (may be reading too much into this) by the tone of Athlon's review. Not dismissive or really negative just not expecting too much. Maybe a minor bowl team and that is about as good as it gets seems to have been their take on our team. They may be right but I am not ready to throw in the towel on a team with a boatload of seniors who have been in this system on offense for quite some time.

Though we don't have NFL studs across our D-Line, I believe our D talent level has constantly been higher than our on field performance. I look forward to a coach and system that gets the best out of the talent we get.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Though we don't have NFL studs across our D-Line, I believe our D talent level has constantly been higher than our on field performance. I look forward to a coach and system that gets the best out of the talent we get.
You may be right. Roof defenders, I know an endangered species but bear with me here, will say that a lack of talent is more the problem than Coach Roof, detractors say otherwise. We will see who is right. I think his best defense was the one in 2014 that featured DJ and Chris Milton at the corners with Golden and the guy that caused the fumble in the UGA game on the goal line shoot, another senior moment but that team had maybe the most talent in the secondary. We played tentative at times during his regime I know that. Afraid of giving up the big play I guess.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
You may be right. Roof defenders, I know an endangered species but bear with me here, will say that a lack of talent is more the problem than Coach Roof, detractors say otherwise. We will see who is right. I think his best defense was the one in 2014 that featured DJ and Chris Milton at the corners with Golden and the guy that caused the fumble in the UGA game on the goal line shoot, another senior moment but that team had maybe the most talent in the secondary. We played tentative at times during his regime I know that. Afraid of giving up the big play I guess.
Isaiah Johnson was the other safety.

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck

He wasn't that great with Auburn talent during their NC run in 2010/11. While his schemes were less complicated than Al Groh's, pretty much every scheme was. When I hear about the 3-4 keys for the LBs, I don't think CFB players have the time to understand what scheme is called plus make 3 key reads in the 10 seconds with the HUNH offenses.

Sounds like Woody has made it 1 key for each player, plus less schemes (we'll see if that increases). I could wrong, but it sounds like the equivalent of an option defense. Keys dictate the action. So the complexity comes from the reads and not the defensive call. We aren't typically facing NFL level QBs, so this style may be more beneficial.

Roof's style seemed to lead us to players out of position and too soft to make a play on the ball. We were basically waiting for mistakes and hoping for FGs. Now we're hoping to force mistakes, but we'll give up more big plays. Sounds like excitement for one side or the other will happen when our D takes the field.

And on Tyler Vernon, sounds like at the worst he's a great Scout Team member who will push for the 2 deep. A good contribution from a walk on.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
He wasn't that great with Auburn talent during their NC run in 2010/11. While his schemes were less complicated than Al Groh's, pretty much every scheme was. When I hear about the 3-4 keys for the LBs, I don't think CFB players have the time to understand what scheme is called plus make 3 key reads in the 10 seconds with the HUNH offenses.

Sounds like Woody has made it 1 key for each player, plus less schemes (we'll see if that increases). I could wrong, but it sounds like the equivalent of an option defense. Keys dictate the action. So the complexity comes from the reads and not the defensive call. We aren't typically facing NFL level QBs, so this style may be more beneficial.

Roof's style seemed to lead us to players out of position and too soft to make a play on the ball. We were basically waiting for mistakes and hoping for FGs. Now we're hoping to force mistakes, but we'll give up more big plays. Sounds like excitement for one side or the other will happen when our D takes the field.

And on Tyler Vernon, sounds like at the worst he's a great Scout Team member who will push for the 2 deep. A good contribution from a walk on.

For sentimental reasons and the fact that his son was on the team, I defended Coach Roof from personal acquaintances that were detractors as long as I could but the trend was undeniable. A change needed to be made and it is a shame because he loves Tech and had improved recruiting to some extent as far as I could tell. Florida went through a similar trial with Coach Ron Zook when he was defensive coordinator for the Gators in the early 1990s. The difference was that the Old Ball Coach wanted Zook's defense off the field quicker so he could call more plays.