92.9 The Game's Randy McMichael said what?!

Jmonty71

Banned
As you all probably know, Randy is a uga alum- played tightend for them in the early 2000's. Today around 1:30pm I was listening to 92.9 The Game, as I normally do. To my surprise I heard a question from a caller about GT and Geoff Collins! Randy and Andy Bunker were asked "Do you think that Geoff Collins can turn GT into a perinniel top 25 program". WITHOUT HESITATING Randy McMichael said... YES.

Andy rebuttaled and said "Maybe in 5-6 years but 3-4 years is only one recruiting class, is that possible?"

WITHOUT HESITATION Randy McMichael said... YES.

If you aren't a believer in Geoff Collins branding and recruiting schemes then this should help solidify your belief. Randy is a true GT hater, but he has full faith and belief that Geoff Collins will turn THE INSTITUTE back into the national power that it rightfully should be.

These are BIG WORDS coming from a guy I hear daily talk bad about Georgia Tech.

I'm loving it!
I have to be like Missouri on this... "Show Me".... GT still have the issue of actually making students attend class. Plus, GT doesn't offer basket weaving, bowling and other lame classes. My opinion has been and will be for a while.. 5 star and 4 star recruits use the NCAA as a 3 year tryout for the NFL. Heck if the NFL allowed 1 year students, like the NCAA; it would be flooded with one and dones. GT will have to find a kid that actually wants an education vs. just make money by playing in the NFL. In today's want to get rich quick world, that's a tough thing.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I agree with politics, but does media drive consumers? I believe so.

Have you ever seen that Arbys commercial the day before and you decide to go there for lunch?

Or how apple is so popular? It has a certain "look" minus the idea you pay an exorbitant amount of money to enter their world of overpriced goods and have to use only their goods? They seem to have done well with media.

Plus we don't know if media drives the you get generation because they are either to young to vote or too young to care.

Politics as a whole are media driven in the sense of slander and accusations towards their opponents. I don't know how many times I corrected people on how what they heard from FOX or CNN was wrong, and how actual research is important. Media only solidifies what people want to believe when it comes to politics. But when it comes to consumerism it can be used as a tool to garner attention that is positive.

In a nut shell. Media for politics are never used to decide on a candidate but to only belittle someone else for believing in the candidate of their choice. (Problem number 1 with politics, open minds are LONG GONE).

Media for marketing is 10000% effective. Which is a driver. Otherwise we wouldn't see TRILLIONS of dollars used on media driven marketing.

As I stand by my statement. Anytime a media source has a positive word to say for the GT program is a huge net gain for GT as this is a marketing based business. You are trying to market to 14-18 year old boys.

When I was growing up half naked women, booze, and way classes got me on board. If I was promised to have those 3 and basically a free degree while getting an easy C in a class I was SOLD.

Now you have to be savvy on marketing to these kids. As they watch all the Instagram and twitter videos. They watch more twitter and Instagram than they do basic TV/netflix/hulu. Kids live on their phones and computers now. Reason number 1 why Instagram started their own "TV" on their app.

All in all. Anytime an archrival player admits that we are doing something great is can ONLY be seen as a net gain for the program. We have had little to no attention for a while. Even when we won the orange bowl the city of Atlanta didn't care. Geoff Collins has been given the monumental task of making GT cool again to athletes. Something we haven't seen since the 07 class. We will get there, but it takes every little baby step of POSITIVE press, stats, fans, and players.
If we win 6-8 games this year I expect us to never lose more than 5 games in a season again under Collins. Starting 2021 I see us as a top 15 team...if we win 6+ games this year.

Positive media and positive talking about the team and attention on the program is good. Kids LOVE attention. They are all mostly little Prime Time Sanders. More attention we have, the more we are on ESPN prime time the more higher rated kids will want to come. Now all we have to do is WIN BABY WIN!
We still disagree. To take some of the points in order:

• "Or how apple is so popular? It has a certain "look" minus the idea you pay an exorbitant amount of money to enter their world of overpriced goods and have to use only their goods? They seem to have done well with media."
Yet Apple is a major argument against the position. Steve was famous for not paying any attention at all to his marketing folks. True, Apple has had some very good ads down through the years, but it's their products that drive the company and those are driven by their design teams. Steve's motto - "We don't ship junk" - is why the company has succeeded. The ads and even Steve's famous "reality distortion field" were and are ephemeral. And, no, in fact, I haven't been anything but bothered by Arby's ads.

• "Politics as a whole are media driven in the sense of slander and accusations towards their opponents. I don't know how many times I corrected people on how what they heard from FOX or CNN was wrong, and how actual research is important. Media only solidifies what people want to believe when it comes to politics. But when it comes to consumerism it can be used as a tool to garner attention that is positive."
It is true that people tend to consume media that agree with their opinions and not just in politics. However, you'd be surprised at how little effect negative ads have on political opinions or, for that matter, anything else. Positive ads in politics and in regular business have similarly small effects. The billions (FIFY) of dollars spent on advertising is considered a raging success if it shifts consumers to increase soap sales by 1%. Again, it is the products - and their price, of course - that make the difference. Decisions about product lines are not media driven snd, if the company has sense, not driven by marketing either.

The rest of your post is about how important is for us to win games. No argument at all about that. A winning program and a new coach would generate a lot of attention, whether Randy McMichael thought it was cool or not. But thinking that our media presence is going to make a huge difference here is, I think, what's at the bottom of our argument. You think prospective athletes are driven by how cool we look and that will drive their decisions to come to Tech. I think they are driven by a) whether we are winning, b) whether they have the grades to get in, c) whether they find STEM or related degrees interesting, d) whether they think they can put in the effort to stay in school at Tech, e) whether they think they'll get a decent future out of a Tech degree, and f) whether they'll get a chance to try pro football if they pan out high enough. All we can do there is try to persuade them - here's where the marketing comes in - that they can do a to f. If we don't ship junk we'll be able to do that. If we do, then all the media hype in Creation won't help.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
We still disagree. To take some of the points in order:

• "Or how apple is so popular? It has a certain "look" minus the idea you pay an exorbitant amount of money to enter their world of overpriced goods and have to use only their goods? They seem to have done well with media."
Yet Apple is a major argument against the position. Steve was famous for not paying any attention at all to his marketing folks. True, Apple has had some very good ads down through the years, but it's their products that drive the company and those are driven by their design teams. Steve's motto - "We don't ship junk" - is why the company has succeeded. The ads and even Steve's famous "reality distortion field" were and are ephemeral. And, no, in fact, I haven't been anything but bothered by Arby's ads.

• "Politics as a whole are media driven in the sense of slander and accusations towards their opponents. I don't know how many times I corrected people on how what they heard from FOX or CNN was wrong, and how actual research is important. Media only solidifies what people want to believe when it comes to politics. But when it comes to consumerism it can be used as a tool to garner attention that is positive."
It is true that people tend to consume media that agree with their opinions and not just in politics. However, you'd be surprised at how little effect negative ads have on political opinions or, for that matter, anything else. Positive ads in politics and in regular business have similarly small effects. The billions (FIFY) of dollars spent on advertising is considered a raging success if it shifts consumers to increase soap sales by 1%. Again, it is the products - and their price, of course - that make the difference. Decisions about product lines are not media driven snd, if the company has sense, not driven by marketing either.

The rest of your post is about how important is for us to win games. No argument at all about that. A winning program and a new coach would generate a lot of attention, whether Randy McMichael thought it was cool or not. But thinking that our media presence is going to make a huge difference here is, I think, what's at the bottom of our argument. You think prospective athletes are driven by how cool we look and that will drive their decisions to come to Tech. I think they are driven by a) whether we are winning, b) whether they have the grades to get in, c) whether they find STEM or related degrees interesting, d) whether they think they can put in the effort to stay in school at Tech, e) whether they think they'll get a decent future out of a Tech degree, and f) whether they'll get a chance to try pro football if they pan out high enough. All we can do there is try to persuade them - here's where the marketing comes in - that they can do a to f. If we don't ship junk we'll be able to do that. If we do, then all the media hype in Creation won't help.

I think the media aspect is important if we are winning. We have to flaunt a little. We have to celebrate success. We have to be present and get in the minds of youth early.

For input: I became a GT fan due to the mascot and colors. "Branding" I only saw those because they played a game on espn and decided wow! I want to know more about them (age of 7).

When we set a brand and presence in the Southeast we are "recruiting" future jackets. I want every 5-10yr old to be fans of GT because it's a cool product. Kids are simple and fandom starts as a kid. If we can get them to become fans, then we can more than likely get them to come to the school. Regardless if they care for a STEM program. They may want to come as a business major and plan on going to the NFL. I certainly don't care to recruit kids that don't plan on going to the NFL. I'd say this is a chance for GT to grow as a school and become an ELITE business school, more than it is now. As most athletes that plan to go to the NFL don't want to have more challenging degrees. Which is completely fine. I wouldn't either. The idea is a GT degree in whatever form or fashion will get you PAID.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
What is a Randy McMichael? A horny leprechaun?

(Eh, I'm not proud but I'mma go with it anyway.)
..not feelin' it...
a6e.gif

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Randy always came off as pretty level headed and fair to me, he's like the anti-homer. I remember Dukes and Bell would try to get a rise out of him during Hate Week and he'd always be like, "It'd be great if we win, but I'm not going to get too upset if we lose." GT callers would call in and mention our 4 national championships to UGA's 2, and Rick and John would jump to the defense of UGA and Randy would just give credit to GT. Regardless, it's good to see a big local media member thinks our program can develop into a powerhouse. Hell, most UGA fans on Reddit always comment that CGC is doing all the right things and building the program quickly. Definitely a testament to the public perception of our program.

Given the current weakness of the Coastal division, the perennially topsy turvy state of college football below the 10 or so elite programs, I don't think that Randy's prediction is all that earth shattering. Getting into the top 25 is one thing, staying in is something else altogether and a good indication that a program has matured and arrived with consistently good to occasionally great recruiting classes. Difficult given Tech's academic hurdles? Sure. Impossible? Not at all. Tech is within easy driving distance of arguably some of the most fertile recruiting areas in the country. In addition, we have a staff that connects with both high school coaches and football players in the "404". Recruiting, especially of linemen, will be the hallmark of this program going forward. It will take continued hard work in developing players and nurturing relationships in high schools around the state but particularly in metro Atlanta but it can be done. Patience and emphasis on recruiting and player development will turn this program into a force to be reckoned with in about three years, maybe less. IMHO

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
H
Personally, I don't know why anybody:

• Listens to talk radio of any kind, but especially sports shows, and

• Thinks the opinions of the "pundits" on these shows are worth anything more then a bucket of warm spit.

So … I don't think that any opinion from this crowd is worth listening to or indicative of anything much for our football program. Some people around here seem to think that having them pay attention to Tech is a plus. Lord knows why.
Hmm, seems like you just described and random fan-based blog. Yet here we are.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I have to be like Missouri on this... "Show Me".... GT still have the issue of actually making students attend class. Plus, GT doesn't offer basket weaving, bowling and other lame classes. My opinion has been and will be for a while.. 5 star and 4 star recruits use the NCAA as a 3 year tryout for the NFL. Heck if the NFL allowed 1 year students, like the NCAA; it would be flooded with one and dones. GT will have to find a kid that actually wants an education vs. just make money by playing in the NFL. In today's want to get rich quick world, that's a tough thing.

Despite everything former players say you still cling to this.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Despite everything former players say you still cling to this.

I’m semi retired but teach these days at Auburn. I have athletes in the classes I teach and they are polite, disciplined, well dressed, well mannered and honestly ... better students than the typical student.

I think the assumption that all other programs have useless degrees is dated. Some do, sure. But these kids are success oriented. And they get it ... study hard, use the alumni network, and build a successful life.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I’m semi retired but teach these days at Auburn. I have athletes in the classes I teach and they are polite, disciplined, well dressed, well mannered and honestly ... better students than the typical student.

I think the assumption that all other programs have useless degrees is dated. Some do, sure. But these kids are success oriented. And they get it ... study hard, use the alumni network, and build a successful life.
The old joke was that Jesus couldn't have been born at Ole Miss because it required a virgin and three wise men.

As you say, those days are gone, probably forever. The state university systems throughout the country adopted the California model (flagships, local 4 year universities, community colleges) and it has made a world of difference. The only fly in the ointment has been the abandonment of state support for tuition to bring the price down to where most families could afford to send their kids to school. That and support to build the necessary infrastructure is what we'll get if all this "free college" stuff gets into a bill one day. That'll make a world of difference, part deux. We need to get education rates back to where they ought to be in the - let me check - 10th richest country (income per cap, PPP) in the world. Don't want to slip further, I'd say.