6-6 I Doubt it.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Perhaps. But UT's support hasn't waned even though Nashville got an NFL team. As a follower of UT, Bama, Auburn (you can't follow Bama without following Auburn) and Tech ... I find Tech alumni to be more successful and more generous, but the other programs I mentioned are better organized at the grass roots level. It's a county by county thing and that's where alumni and fans can really help. With 200 volunteers, Tech could make major inroads into broadening the base.

Wow ... we've really steered off topic. Back to our regularly scheduled programming.
Nobody in East TN gives 2 craps about the NFL. That certainly helps the Vols case. It’s a 3-1/2 hour drive from Knoxville to Nashville. Nobody is going to make that to see the Titans play (especially on a Sunday morning). It’s almost an entirely different area. Same thing about the Memphis Grizzlies in the NBA. Hell I’m sure 70% of the people from Nashville going East don’t even know there’s an NBA team in TN. Big market cities are usually always Pro first cities.

jeffgt14

UT fans are great, because they too have wandered the wilderness after greatness, and it has humbled them.
To an extent. Yes the do expect to lose every game now but they still think they college football playoffs should consist of the Top 4 SEC teams because no one else in the country plays against SEC defenses every week.

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
To an extent. Yes the do expect to lose every game now but they still think they college football playoffs should consist of the Top 4 SEC teams because no one else in the country plays against SEC defenses every week.
Time have changed UT fans have the expectation that they should win 8-10 games every season.

Jmonty71

Banned
WE Win GA Southern, Duke & UVA...

Toss Ups UNC, VT, UGA

Whatever we do I hope we can beat UGA, makes the Bowl season sweeter for me!!
I think We win GS and UVA, But, Duke has had our number, as of late. UNC, VT and UGA have offenses that score too many points and our defense is too plain to stop any of them. Unless Roof changes things, those will be loses, quite easily. I think we got 5-7 and miss another bowl. It would be interesting to see the fall out, should that happen. Part of me wants it to, just to they get rid of a certain DC.

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I think We win GS and UVA, But, Duke has had our number, as of late. UNC, VT and UGA have offenses that score too many points and our defense is too plain to stop any of them. Unless Roof changes things, those will be loses, quite easily. I think we got 5-7 and miss another bowl. It would be interesting to see the fall out, should that happen. Part of me wants it to, just to they get rid of a certain DC.
I think Paul Johnson would have to go after two losing seasons in a row. A fish rots from the head down.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Fire CPJ and pay Butch 3x what he's making at TN. In 2 years we would have a national championship. We might have to stave off some title IX lawsuits and promote a team atmosphere that encourages assaults on any players that might be inclined to help possible rape victims....but some prices just have to be paid for success.

I guess we should give TN credit though. They have proven no price is too high to get back to elite status.

jeffgt14

Fire CPJ and pay Butch 3x what he's making at TN. In 2 years we would have a national championship. We might have to stave off some title IX lawsuits and promote a team atmosphere that encourages assaults on any players that might be inclined to help possible rape victims....but some prices just have to be paid for success.

I guess we should give TN credit though. They have proven no price is too high to get back to elite status.
Butch is a terrible coach. He’s a motivator of a team loaded with *** tons of talent. The sloppiest team I’ve seen in quite some time and they keep winning for because their D is extremely talented and Josh Dobbs and Alvin Kamara are damn good football players. Butch is taking the Saban route with his tryouts for his semi-pro football team. He walked into a goldmine with Antonio Brown to kickstart his head coaching career. He managed to have 2 decent seasons at Cincy with some NFL talent there but I saw no reason to think he’s an excellent coach.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Butch's reaction after the win against the pups was a little concerning to me. Is he mentally/emotionally stable enough to be a coach?

Instead of predicting the rest of our season, let's focus on being 1-0 this weekend. The combined record of the teams we have lost to is 14-3 at this point. It is never good to lose 3 straight, regardless of the records of the opponents, but let's keep this in perspective. I don't think there is a single game left that we don't have a pretty good chance to win.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Butch's reaction after the win against the pups was a little concerning to me. Is he mentally/emotionally stable enough to be a coach?

Instead of predicting the rest of our season, let's focus on being 1-0 this weekend. The combined record of the teams we have lost to is 14-3 at this point. It is never good to lose 3 straight, regardless of the records of the opponents, but let's keep this in perspective. I don't think there is a single game left that we don't have a pretty good chance to win.

this begs the question that has intrigued me for awhile...are games independent or dependent events? In other words, if you are paying a relatively equivalent team in game 6, is the probability of beating a team like Pitt, Unc or Uva the same given that the team is either 0-5,3-3 or 5-0 going into the game? To be independent, the probability of a win has to remain unchanged regardless of the events prior (i.e. the "givens"). I'd like to hear what others have to say.

the reason I ask is that I think we can win the rest of our games (given that we have lost to 3 teams who are 14-3 as you say). but will a few more losses take its toll such that we do not maximize our full potential? In other words, does discouragement set in such that it does affect results going forward? (This would make games dependent events for in case there are people who are not nerds reading and/or lurking here on the Tech board)

I am interested in hearing the thoughts of others. i'll just hang up and listen.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
this begs the question that has intrigued me for awhile...are games independent or dependent events? In other words, if you are paying a relatively equivalent team in game 6, is the probability of beating a team like Pitt, Unc or Uva the same given that the team is either 0-5,3-3 or 5-0 going into the game? To be independent, the probability of a win has to remain unchanged regardless of the events prior (i.e. the "givens"). I'd like to hear what others have to say.

the reason I ask is that I think we can win the rest of our games (given that we have lost to 3 teams who are 14-3 as you say). but will a few more losses take its toll such that we do not maximize our full potential? In other words, does discouragement set in such that it does affect results going forward? (This would make games dependent events for in case there are people who are not nerds reading and/or lurking here on the Tech board)

I am interested in hearing the thoughts of others. i'll just hang up and listen.
I think discouragement happens way more in fans than it does in players. Just saying. Our guys are competitors. They played hard last year.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

Last year GT was 2-5 and FSU was 6-0 headed into that game. If the records of the teams was a deciding factor in the outcome of the games, then there was no reason to play the game, just anoint FSU 7-0 and GT 2-6. GT had one fewer wins and 2 more losses heading into a game against a team that was predicted to be playing for a playoff spot in their game against Clemson. There was more reason to be discouraged last year, yet the team was able to pull of an upset. Further, except for the Clemson game and perhaps the ND game, GT was in the other games until very late.

You can make predictions based on the records of the teams, the competition the teams have faced, injuries, etc. However, predictions are only for fans to argue about or get excited about. Even predictions based on computer models do not count for anything. Just because the "experts" believe that one team "should" beat another team does not mean that it will happen. The "experts" said that Alabama should beat Arkansas and they did. The "experts" said that Houston should be Navy but they did not. Teams should focus on what they are doing. The coaches need to game plan. The players need to study tendencies and perfect their techniques. If Lee Corso puts on your headgear on Saturday morning, the score is still 0-0 at kickoff Saturday afternoon or evening.