6-6 I Doubt it.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
The only way we go 6-6 is because GSU, and Duke are way worse than they were a year ago. We're very fortunate that they are bad or it would be a 4-8 year but I'm not ruling 3-9 out yet. I have defended CPJ for years but I'm done yea we put up points yesterday against a sub par defense but the loss starts at the top. If we finish 7-5 I would be ecstatic and that is bad when your happy to go 7-5. What's helped him stay here this long is the level of competition has been bad. Clemson will never lose to CPJ again, UNC is way better than they were 4-5 years ago, Duke will beat us half the time and VT and Miami will beat us pretty much every year now. Pitt and Virgina are the only teams in the coastal that are probably less talented than we are now but as we found out yesterday that doesn't gaurentee a win. If we lose to a underperforming GSU team then we really find bottom.

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I do think GT beats Georgia Southern,Duke and Virgina and be go 6-6 and wind up invited somewhere like the Military Bowl or St Petersburg Bowl.

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
The only way we go 6-6 is because GSU, and Duke are way worse than they were a year ago. We're very fortunate that they are bad or it would be a 4-8 year but I'm not ruling 3-9 out yet. I have defended CPJ for years but I'm done yea we put up points yesterday against a sub par defense but the loss starts at the top. If we finish 7-5 I would be ecstatic and that is bad when your happy to go 7-5. What's helped him stay here this long is the level of competition has been bad. Clemson will never lose to CPJ again, UNC is way better than they were 4-5 years ago, Duke will beat us half the time and VT and Miami will beat us pretty much every year now. Pitt and Virgina are the only teams in the coastal that are probably less talented than we are now but as we found out yesterday that doesn't gaurentee a win. If we lose to a underperforming GSU team then we really find bottom.
Duke and Georgia Southern are worse than they were in 2015

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Yeah a team never wants to help out the other team ;)

totally off topic, but that was a great game. how do you fumble 6 times and manage to take a top 10 team (on their home field) into OT? That was an entertaining game. But UT sort of reminded me of Pitt against us in 2014.

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
totally off topic, but that was a great game. how do you fumble 6 times and manage to take a top 10 team (on their home field) into OT? That was an entertaining game. But UT sort of reminded me of Pitt against us in 2014.
Tennessee has unlimited guts and heart but they have first have first half problems. I would rather fall behind early and come back to win than blow 4 games like UT did in 2015. I think UT will lost to Alabama and finish 10-2 and go to the SEC Championship Game God willing. I hope Notre Dame doesn't interview Butch Jones when they fire Kelly.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
the other aspect of that game that was similar to Gt-pitt 2014 was the run down of the A & M back and the punch out of the ball at the goal line. that play was a game changer. I live in Tn and sort of keep an eye on Vandy and UT. Butch Jones has shown steady improvement year over year after taking over the dumpster fire that Dooley and Kiffin left. i will be pulling for the Vols against Bama. Of course I would root for all teams (excluding one) against Bama.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Now I'll fill in my two cents on UT. I grew up in Alabama and to tell you the truth, Bear Bryant could run for governor today and still win. But UT has a football fan base unlike any other I've seen. They know their ball, they live the history, and it's a very powerful way to create an aligned football nation.

Tech could learn a lot from UT. Dodd played there of course, but we rely too much on the "hero coach" to come in and fix things. We would benefit hugely to define a Georgia Tech Way of football and get on with it. UT does this great and I've always admired it.

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Now I'll fill in my two cents on UT. I grew up in Alabama and to tell you the truth, Bear Bryant could run for governor today and still win. But UT has a football fan base unlike any other I've seen. They know their ball, they live the history, and it's a very powerful way to create an aligned football nation.

Tech could learn a lot from UT. Dodd played there of course, but we rely too much on the "hero coach" to come in and fix things. We would benefit hugely to define a Georgia Tech Way of football and get on with it. UT does this great and I've always admired it.
I think GT would have the support level of the 1940s-1966 if the Falcons had never been created sadly.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I think GT would have the support level of the 1940s-1966 if the Falcons had never been created sadly.

Perhaps. But UT's support hasn't waned even though Nashville got an NFL team. As a follower of UT, Bama, Auburn (you can't follow Bama without following Auburn) and Tech ... I find Tech alumni to be more successful and more generous, but the other programs I mentioned are better organized at the grass roots level. It's a county by county thing and that's where alumni and fans can really help. With 200 volunteers, Tech could make major inroads into broadening the base.

Wow ... we've really steered off topic. Back to our regularly scheduled programming.

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Perhaps. But UT's support hasn't waned even though Nashville got an NFL team. As a follower of UT, Bama, Auburn (you can't follow Bama without following Auburn) and Tech ... I find Tech alumni to be more successful and more generous, but the other programs I mentioned are better organized at the grass roots level. It's a county by county thing and that's where alumni and fans can really help. With 200 volunteers, Tech could make major inroads into broadening the base.

Wow ... we've really steered off topic. Back to our regularly scheduled programming.
LOL

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
This from a team that fired Phulmer and hired Dooley and Kiffin? Yeah, right. They do it the right way. Reply back after ther fire Butch.

I don't think you understood my point. I'm not talking about the coaches, I'm talking about the fans. The UT fanbase is very engaged in the program and they do a great job of incorporating their history into how they play or expect to play, football. They recite Neyland's Maxims before every game and most fans I know can recite them by heart. Butch Jones has sought to institutionalize this and according to my contacts, they like him for trying to do this the UT way. The other coaches you mentioned could have cared less.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
I don't think you understood my point. I'm not talking about the coaches, I'm talking about the fans. The UT fanbase is very engaged in the program and they do a great job of incorporating their history into how they play or expect to play, football. They recite Neyland's Maxims before every game and most fans I know can recite them by heart. Butch Jones has sought to institutionalize this and according to my contacts, they like him for trying to do this the UT way. The other coaches you mentioned could have cared less.
UT fans are great, because they too have wandered the wilderness after greatness, and it has humbled them.